Randy Lerner and What Happens Next

GaztonVilla

...surely growing the attendance is what is needed to get more revenue, and if you can't grow the revenue, you can't go and spend the extra...

...absolutely, and although it might seem now that filling the ground regularly we would only rake in an extra 2m or so, the real point is that if and when we achieve that, the club will be able to raise ticket prices and generate some serious extra cash.

Rasinig ticket prices now risks driving attendance down; the time to do it is obvously when we're scrapping to get hold of them.

What a well run business will do is examine the market place and make an informed choice. They will meet with several candidates, and when the process is finished, a “right” choice will be made.

And what a *really* well run business does is have replacements already lined up as contingencies. It certainly doesn't place things in the hands of a junior executive.

What a well run business will do is examine the market place and make an informed choice. They will meet with several candidates, and when the process is finished, a “right” choice will be made.

And what a *really* well run business does is have replacements already lined up as contingencies. It certainly doesn't place things in the hands of a junior executive.

We should have had a manager ready and waiting in the sidelines just in case MON resigned?

We should have had a manager ready and waiting in the sidelines just in case MON resigned?

Gazton, I'm very surprised at you, to be honest, I mean it's a well known fact that ALL the best and biggest clubs have a little black book in the boardroom under lock and key with the names and phone numbers of at LEAST three top flight managers who will, at the drop of a hat, come running. Really man, do your research.

;-)

As I'm sure you are aware, top businesses have contingency plans to turn to in the event of a sudden loss of an important asset or resource. It doesn't seem to me that our club had any such plan, therefore I wouldn't hold up our way of doing things as exemplary business practice.

As I'm sure you are aware, top businesses have contingency plans to turn to in the event of a sudden loss of an important asset or resource. It doesn't seem to me that our club had any such plan, therefore I wouldn't hold up our way of doing things as exemplary business practice.

I would argue that the contingency in this case was Kevin MacDonald.

So you think that was the plan in place all along, do you? Promote Kev and start looking if he doesn't like it/isn't good enough?

Fair enough, if that's what you believe.

No, but in the absence of a manager inside a "Break Glass In Case of Manager Resignation" case KMacD was the short term stop-gap.

It's unrealistic to expect the club to be in a position to make an appointment of any quality in the immediate aftermath of MON's resignation.

I have said in my OP that I believe that leaving the potential for such a vacuum as was created by MON's sudden departure was poor judgement, and I also believe it won't be allowed to happen again.

I have said in my OP that I believe that leaving the potential for such a vacuum as was created by MON's sudden departure was poor judgement, and I also believe it won't be allowed to happen again.

Yes, and I think you're quite right. It was just the "this is how a well run business operates" bit that doesn't fit in with that assessment, IMO, which was why I highlighted it.

Shouldn't have done really, the post didn't deserve such nit picking.

Â