NRC. Are you a fan or not?

BOF

Pick one  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• I am a fan
    • I am not a fan

Why does he bother crossing the halfway line? He's useless in attack.

And when he does go forward, he can't be arsed to get back and do the job he's half decent at.

And he fouls too much.

1 foul to Petrov's 7 vs Everton....

Weird that too.

Stats last year, from the 5 starts he made central midfield last year....he conceded 7 fouls overall.

But don't let those stats get in the way of bullshit. :)

reo-coker has won 2 tackles so far this season according to opta,

stephen ireland our attacking midfielder in ~40 minutes less of play has won 4 tackles

tiny albrighton has won 8 tackles

reo-coker is a poor defensive midfielder , i don't know how anybody cannot see this

i think a lot of villa fan like the idea of playing a defensive tackling midfielder, which can be great for a team

...but for villa this points to reo-coker, so a lot of fans want to see him play

but in comparison to other defensive midfielders in the premiership he is quite inept, simply put

squad player at very best, cant' pass and can't control the ball, no vision as seen when he got clear against everton and the defender fell over in the box and he kicked the ball straight at him

Just to make a point, obviously doesn't take into the fact his touch and the range of passing (not that it matters for his positions) but...

2010/2011

West Ham: 2 out of 2.(Sub) Won

Newcastle: 8 out of 8. (Sub) Lost

Everton: 17 out of 20. Won

2009/2010

Liverpool: 20 out of 22. Won

Fulham: 21 out of 25. Won

Birmingham: 25 out of 29. Won

Bolton: 21 out of 22. Won

Tottenham: 15 out of 17. Drawn

Liverpool: 13 out of 15. Lost

They're his Premiership starts in since the start of last season, adding the passes up it equals:

142 out of 160. Which is very impressive for a player who supposedly loses the ball so often. I won't go into the season before, but looking at it generally he was a lot more wasteful then, due to the fact he tried to be more expansive. Since then he has played the more safer approach which he is required to do and he now barely loses it.

i always say one of the best way to judge a new player, is to find out the player's previos club's fan's opinion of him.....

and as perennial relegation candidates west ham called him nigel mediocre ....... it says a lot

Not a fan here. Having Nigel in midfield is like playing Cuellar at right back. When the ball gets to him he either looses it or the momentum of the move is lost. He can't play with his head up, can't make a decision on the ball, does not have the technique to make a pass even when not under pressure, he is caught several times a game in possesion normally as the last defender infront of the back four putting the whole team under pressure. His own team don't want to pass to him, leading the defence to play it over him rather than through him. As a destroyer if he is at best average, which does not make up for the other areas in which he lacks.

Against Everton we were winning the ball in the back 4 not in the midfield. Everton played through us like the midfield was not there, this should not be possible if the midfield is doing its job. To be fair I think we were sent out without a plan to close them down effectively as a team, but as an individual I saw nothing in Nigel's game to change my mind.

For the purposes of the poll/thread I think you are slightly missing the point.

It could have been worded in a different way. :winkold:

I'm just a little uncomfortable with saying that I'm not a fan of someone who plays for us. I had no problem with the poll. :mrgreen:

I gave a thumbs down, though I see some of the positives he does bring to the team.

Stats schmats on the passing thing though. It's not just the 'failed' passes he makes, it's the blind alleys he runs down, the passes he plays behind someone so a move loses momentum, and the number of situations he loses the ball in when he had plenty of simpler options on.

If someone can persuade him that he's not a creative player and that he should keep it as simple as possible, I'd be happier for him to be in the team more often. Otherwise, as I've said elsewhere, he's good enough to be a starting midfielder in a club finishing around 9th-12th. And if we want to aim higher than that, he can be a squad player or sling his hook.

One moment yesterday summed him up - won the ball in midfield, played a clever one-two with Young, bust a gut to drive forward 40 yards into the box, Jagielka falls over, Young unmarked in the box and Reo-Coker plays it straight at Jagielka lying on the floor when it would have been easier to miss him than to hit him.

He's a player who has admirable qualities and there should definitely be a place for him in the squad - but not the first team in 90% of games. Which probably isn't good enough for him.

Â