Match thread

limpid

Cuellar has to play at RB for this game, as we will be continually hit with the long ball and we will need his ability in the air.

Is that you MON?? We had wondered where you had gone!! :lol:

I'd take a draw away at Stoke to be honest, especially with Mac still handling first team affairs, hopefully he has learnt from his naivity and we won't get embarassed again. I'm saying either 1-1 or a tight 2-1 victory with a Gabby on the scoresheet.

hahaha :lol:

He, he, perish the thought that i'd be O'Neill. O.k put Young on stilts and then we'll be ok. :winkold:

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its got 0-0 draw written all over it. If we can get it down and play we might have a chance but I think we'll get drawn into a hoof fest, and it will be an ugly match.

Please put Ireland in the hole and get Ash back on the flank.

its got 0-0 draw written all over it. If we can get it down and play we might have a chance but I think we'll get drawn into a hoof fest, and it will be an ugly match.

Please put Ireland in the hole and get Ash back on the flank.

Completely disagree. There will be little hoofball in the game, at least not from Villa. Why would we hoof the ball up to Gabby against Huth or Shawcross?

It'll be a good game with Villa winning 3-1 for me.

Although I agree that we should play Ireland in the hole and Ashley back on the left wing, like every Villa fan.

We will be drawn into a hoof fest, I still remember a mid week game against Hull two years ago with Zayate scoring a late own goal, we played Gabby upfront on his own and Zat Knight was our best attacking threat hitting a 60 yard pass every 2 or 3 minutes. Granted it's a slightly different team now but I think we get drawn into playing it long too often, and as soon as we can't dominate a game we turn into counter attacking/long ball.

It's going to be a really tough game this one - I'd be happy with a draw unless it's on the back of conceding a lead.

Looking forward to it though, always a good atmosphere at the Britannia and the bonus of being back by 11 for a midweek away game.

COME ON THE VILLA BOYS !!

I think we'll lose. They've lost their first three, they're usually excellent at home despite a recent bad run and seem to cause us trouble every time we play them. Their crowd will be up for it, and so will their players so we're gonna have to be on the top of our game. I hate playing Stoke.

I thought I posted in here about Ireland and Gabby, but clearly not. Anyone know what their latest injury update is, are they available tomorrow?
There's no mention of Gabby being injured on BBC Sport although I think there's a chance of Ireland being out.

This all hinges on whether Gabby plays or not. Stoke can deal with the 'big man' threat of a Carew or a Heskey all day long. Our 'constant crossing' strategy won't pay much dividends here. However, get the ball on the ground and let Gabby chase a few through balls or balls over the top and you can stretch them out and give Ash Young some space to operate...

On the other hand, our defence is a classic english style too, and Dunne, Collins and Cuellar are the perfect sort of players to deal with Stoke's style of play.

So while it looks like an incredibly tough game on the face of it, I reckon we could do this. A lot of people are saying 'they've lost three in a row, that can't continue - I usually think the same way, but what if it's because they're just not any good?'

As long as we don't try Ireland and Petrov as the middle 2 we should at least get a draw. I'm hoping for the same starting 11 against everton or maybe Downing out and Ireland in. Think Albrington will find this game easier, Stokes fullbacks dont really overlap so there wont be as much tracking back, but given the way they hoof through the middle, the Attacking CM will need to play deeper to link play properly.

Hopefully 1-0 Gabby to score

Cuellar has to play at RB for this game, as we will be continually hit with the long ball and we will need his ability in the air.

I agree 100%.

This is what squad rotation means.. you play the team you think can win the game.. not pick the same 11 for every game and then make 10 changes to a cup match.

We need height in this game.. Young can be back at right back next game.. but against Stoke we need height. Carew must also start to help on set pieces.

I think we'll lose this one, but fingers crossed that we don't.

My selection;

--------------- Friedel -----------------

Cuellar - Collins - Dunne - Warnock

--------------- Petrov -----------------

------ Reo-Coker - Ireland ----------

- Young ------------------ Downing --

--------------- Gabby -----------------

If Ireland is still injured, I'd swap him for Carew and go 4-4-2.

stoke at home 2 -2 the season before last has been my biggest disappointment in recent years. I think we'll get a draw or lose by the odd goal. we're 25-1 to miss a penalty tonight. might be worth a £5!! petrov looked like a rapid veinna player had tied his shoelaces together so hope he wont be on pen duty tonight...

Pennent against Cuellor?

Sorry, but we have to keep Young in there. We can change a mulitple of things to counter high balls. Changing your defence around to do that is a little risky. In fact its one area of the pitch where you want consistancy, which you wont get if you keep swapping it about.

If Sidwell is fit, we could bring him in. Gives us the extra height if needed.

Very tough game. Ill be happy with a 1-1, Stoke played well against Spurs and were unlucky to loose

Get Gabby up top on his own, Ireland just off him if fit, if not Young, with Young/Albrighton or Downing/Albrighton on the wings, Stan + NRC holding. Stoke dealt well with Crouch a couple of weeks ago. We need to get the ball on the deck and play some proper football

Aston Villa boosted with four players coming back ahead of Stoke City game

Sep 13 2010 By Mat Kendrick

VILLA have been boosted by the return to fitness of four first-teamers as they prepare for a Britannia Stadium bombardment tonight.

James Collins, Stephen Ireland, John Carew and Steve Sidwell are all expected to be available for selection at Stoke after injury worries.

Collins fractured his cheekbone and hurt his eye on Wales international duty and Carew (knee) limped out of a Norway Euro 2012 qualifier.

Ireland was left out of Villa’s victory over Everton a fortnight ago with a hamstring strain, while Sidwell’s season has been delayed by an Achilles problem.

But all four trained over the weekend and are set to be in contention when caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald names the team for tonight.

Stewart Downing is expecting a physical test against the Potters despite the presence of their new flair players, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Jermaine Pennant.

“It’s tough,” said Downing. “You can see from the results they’ve had since they’ve come into the Premier League.

‘‘Their results at home have been really good. With Delap in the team and his long throws, he can lob it quite a distance and with some venom on it. You’ve got to be prepared for it and be set up right.

“We got three or four days off for rest and there were a lot of international players away, so there weren’t many of us in training.

“Sometimes it’s good to get that rest and we’ve had a few good days back in training and we’re ready for the game.”

Clicky

We should trust our centre backs to deal with long balls and use Luke Young to attack down the right wing!

He scored our winner against Everton, I don't think he should be dropped.

I'm going to guess a narrow win Today, it'll be a tough game but I think we'll edge it!