Stephen Ireland

Richard

I still wanna know who signed this prick back in August.

I always thought we would have been better off with the full money instead of having a reject + less money.

Ireland stated a few weeks back, that it was MoN whom set up the deal.

If true why on earth would the board take on a player without consulting whoever their next target is. Its poor all round IMO

Apparently it was too far into the deal to back out now, also, perhaps O'Neill chose him, they asked Kev Mac and he liked him also and so didn't want to completely ruin a deal so close to being done.

I think this "signed a memorandum" stuff is utter nonsense, if it's true then it should never have been signed, we were the ones in the driving seat not Man Citeh. So if it was too far to back out, thats the boards fault, if we could back out and didn't that is also the boards fault as signing a player before you've appointed a manager is sheer madness.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.

I've never bought the 'memorandum of understanding' talk either. If it did exist, whoever signed it should be sacked for being dumb as ****. If it didn't, whoever let this transfer go ahead should be sacked for being dumb as ****.

Macdonald knew him from working with him in the Ireland set up and at the time he signed, we'd just beaten West Ham convincingly so Mac still had a good shout at getting the job so at the time it was a resonable assumption from Ireland Mac would be the next manager.

I assume given the loan he can't play next weekend so with just 6 games left after that, I can't see Newcastle wanting him really.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Ireland can be a good player for Villa. He'd make a cheap and cost effective replacement for Young.

We need to remember how good Ireland was in that one season for City when he played behind the striker and as an attacking midfielder.

I really hope he comes back to Villa and plays out of his skin behind Bent or Gabby.

I'm extremely confident Villa can dupe some club or manager into taking this waste of space for cash or as part of a player swap in the summertime.

Taking the hit on wages and a smaller transfer fee will be worth it in the long run to be rid of this clearing in the woods and his drama.

Think Ireland next to Milner would have been good but unfortunately he was his replacement.

We were vaguely linked to Ireland few times before Man City wanted Milner - if rmber correctly.

Anyhow Milner has been big miss this season.

What we do with Ireland now i really dnno.

Because he has been on the bench and playing on the wing.