Stephen Ireland

Richard

for the second game in a row I found myself shouting "give it to Ireland, give it to foookin Ireland" as he made run after run into threatening areas only to be ignored and the ball to be sent sideways or backwards or anywhere else apart from where it should have gone which was into the area that Ireland had run into. No wonder he looked frustrated, I was frustrated for him as well

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The work rate he and Bannan put in was admirable given how little of the ball they had for most of the game. When they both had it they generally used it quite well too. If Stephen plays like that consistently he will win people over as that's all we ask for when the teammates aren't helping you.

I think N'Zogbia has a lot to learn from them.

Had a reasonable 2nd half, one great pass that Gabby should have done a bit better with. One thing this guy has in his locker that all the other's lack (bar Bannan maybe) is the ability to see a pass and play it first time which he did on that occasion.

Was impressed with him second half and I don't think it's a coincidence he was a lot more convincing when we committed more men forward and played higher up the pitch. I'm hoping we get to see him in front of Jenas and Petrov in the Wigan game as I think we may see the best of him with a player who's comfortable on the ball like Jenas.

I was annoyed at one point, when we made that really quick breack and we were 3 on 2 or 3 on 1 i think, Ireland was bursting through into the space and I think it was Gabby who should have fed him, but instead tried to be Ashley Young and dilly dally and failed miserablt. At that point Ireland would have been one on one with the keeper and would have probably scored to set him iff.

I was annoyed at one point, when we made that really quick breack and we were 3 on 2 or 3 on 1 i think, Ireland was bursting through into the space and I think it was Gabby who should have fed him, but instead tried to be Ashley Young and dilly dally and failed miserablt. At that point Ireland would have been one on one with the keeper and would have probably scored to set him iff.

Agree, but same thing with Albrighton when Weimann was in the clear and Albrighton decided to do it himself and did **** all. Albrighton is probably the most selfish and unaware player we have, never looks up and spots a teammate in the clear. His crossing might be decent but thats when putting it into a crowded area

A lot of people are saying they would like to play Ireland in a midfield 3. I would rather play him in a forward 3 like his Man City days where he was in the front 3 with Petrov and Robinho. Just think a front 3 of Ireland, Bent and Gabby/N'Zogbia or a combination of those would go very well. Midfield 3 of Petrov, Jenas and Bannan/Delph with a combination of those 3 in front of them would do well.

Next game id play:

-----------------Bent-------------------

Gabby--------Ireland----------Bannan

-----------Petrov----Jenas-------------

Warnock----Clark--Dunne------Hutton

-----------------Given-------------------

Ireland deserves to keep his place in the team. He wasnt brilliant today but his work rate was good and he found his teammates with most of the passes he attempted.

At the moment, Id rather have Ireland in the team than N'Zogbia, which says a lot about how Zog has started at Villa.

Great second half from him as we began to play, but nothing he does will be good enough for some of the muppets on here.

I know I have not got many posts, but I don't think calling some fellow posters "muppets" after 21 posts is a good approach .

I thought Ireland was decent enough second half.

Didn't quite understand the praise Delph was apparently getting on MOTD2. The whole midfield improved in the second half no doubt but he was one of our worst in the first half.

I have just finished watching the replay. I am really pleased with Ireland's performance. I thought he passed well and made alot of good runs into dangerous areas. Unfortunately some of his team mates failed to pick out his runs. A few well guided passes to him could have produced a few more chances.