Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can see why Oneill didnt want to take him as part of the Milner deal.

Doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

STEPHEN Ireland is keen to win a permanent move to Newcastle United – and end his Villa Park “nightmare”.

The midfielder, on a half-season loan from Aston Villa, is set to make his debut against Manchester United at St James’s Park a week today.

Ireland returned to training last month after recovering from the thigh and knee problems which had sidelined him since his deadline day move, but he was ineligible to play in Sunday’s defeat at Villa.

With manager Alan Pardew having been badly hit by injuries and suspension in recent weeks, Ireland’s return to fitness is timely.

However, Ireland – who could be used as a second striker by Pardew – has just six games to rediscover his form and prove he can add something to the club’s squad ahead of the summer transfer window.

The 24-year-old’s long-term future seemingly lies away from Villa Park, where had been sidelined by Gerard Houllier after he took over from Kevin MacDonald, who presided over Ireland’s debut in their 6-0 defeat at St James’s Park in August.

Now settled on Tyneside, Ireland’s keen to make the most of the final few weeks of the campaign,

Ireland said: “It’s a good place for me to settle, and who knows what could happen in the summertime?”

Ireland moved to Villa in the summer as a makeweight in the deal that took former United midfielder James Milner to Manchester City.

However, the former Republic of Ireland international made just six Premier League starts for the club.

And Ireland, a team-mate of Newcastle’s Joey Barton during his time at City, admits his confidence took a knock during his long spell out in the cold under Houllier, who succeeded the manager who signed him, Martin O’Neill, at Villa.

“It’s been an absolute nightmare – it feels like I haven’t kicked a ball for so long,” said Ireland, who hasn’t played a game since early December.”

SunderlandEcho

It was MON who agreed to take him as part of the deal?

4. Lack of effort. I think this is the most unfair criticism levelled at him since he arrived here but people have a preconceived idea about him.

Really? Unfair? Are you honestly telling me he has given 100% everytime he has played for us?

Who has for us this season though, from the players to the management and staff have all been lacking. I think Irelands past has come back to bite him since he's been here tbh. I'd say under a differant manager with better man management skills Ireland could have been better.

Yeah but there are a few that can hold their heads high at the end of the season imo.

Reo,Downing,Albrighton and Clark are about the only one's for me. The rest have been way way below power this season. I won't class any of the Jan signings as they have only had half a season. I'd like to see Ireland under a differant manager if Houllier goes at the end of the season.

Agreed juanpablo a waste of space wanted nowhere near villa park. Haven't despised a player at villa so much since lee hendrie

Serious question and not looking to pick a fight, but what has he done to make you hate him so much?

His quotes about birmingham, his general attitude, the soap opera about his grandmas was a joke, slating Ireland (his home country.) But what grinds me the most is that he is a talented player but without an ounce of efforrt. Part from that i think hes mint

Ok, let's look at them one by one.

1. Birmingham quotes. They were in a French football magazine and he insists he was misquoted. Not misinterpreted, misquoted.

2. General attitude. This covers a multitude, and I've tried many times to talk about this but people have their own ideas about him and I can only try so much to reason on this point.

3. The grandmas soap opera and the Rep of Ireland debacle. Yes, it was stupid. Very very stupid. However, has no bearing on his Villa career as far as I'm concerned.

4. Lack of effort. I think this is the most unfair criticism levelled at him since he arrived here but people have a preconceived idea about him.

How exactly can he be misquoted saying Birmingham was a shit hole or a crap city to live in?

Who gives interviews to foreign magazines, without checking their version of what he said?

Then we have the exact same quotes he said to Newcastle after he moved here in the summer, about how he was finally settled, felt part of a family and wanted etc.

STEPHEN Ireland is keen to win a permanent move to Newcastle United – and end his Villa Park “nightmare”.

The midfielder, on a half-season loan from Aston Villa, is set to make his debut against Manchester United at St James’s Park a week today.

Ireland returned to training last month after recovering from the thigh and knee problems which had sidelined him since his deadline day move, but he was ineligible to play in Sunday’s defeat at Villa.

With manager Alan Pardew having been badly hit by injuries and suspension in recent weeks, Ireland’s return to fitness is timely.

However, Ireland – who could be used as a second striker by Pardew – has just six games to rediscover his form and prove he can add something to the club’s squad ahead of the summer transfer window.

The 24-year-old’s long-term future seemingly lies away from Villa Park, where had been sidelined by Gerard Houllier after he took over from Kevin MacDonald, who presided over Ireland’s debut in their 6-0 defeat at St James’s Park in August.

Now settled on Tyneside, Ireland’s keen to make the most of the final few weeks of the campaign,

Ireland said: “It’s a good place for me to settle, and who knows what could happen in the summertime?”

Ireland moved to Villa in the summer as a makeweight in the deal that took former United midfielder James Milner to Manchester City.

However, the former Republic of Ireland international made just six Premier League starts for the club.

And Ireland, a team-mate of Newcastle’s Joey Barton during his time at City, admits his confidence took a knock during his long spell out in the cold under Houllier, who succeeded the manager who signed him, Martin O’Neill, at Villa.

“It’s been an absolute nightmare – it feels like I haven’t kicked a ball for so long,” said Ireland, who hasn’t played a game since early December.”

SunderlandEcho

Dont really know. If I remember correctly, Oneill wanted Ireland, but he didnt want Ireland to be part of a swap deal. This was one of the factors in his departure as Lerner/Faulkner engineered the swap deal above his head.

Anyway, whatever I've heard probably came from this board, so I'm happy for anyone with more info to enlighten me on the matter.

Curious, what makes you think that? I certainly remember MON at the start of the Milner posturing saying he didn't want player exchanges involved in the deal. MON also clearly wanted McWhatsisface who went to Russia. So far we only really have the clubs word that MON "wanted" Ireland. Maybe the imposition of Ireland and the refusal to bid for the other fella was the tipping point. Who knows really, we have only heard one side of the story so far. I'd keep an open mind on that until something other than a source inside the club says anything. Tbh its all water under the bridge at this juncture anyway and may be best left well alone.

Reo,Downing,Albrighton and Clark are about the only one's for me. The rest have been way way below power this season. I won't class any of the Jan signings as they have only had half a season. I'd like to see Ireland under a differant manager if Houllier goes at the end of the season.
Something tells me we will be seeing Ireland under a different manager next season :P For me we need to get shot of Ireland. I don't want someone so mentally fragile in our engine room. I don't want a nutjob in our team and I certainly don't want us paying what we're paying him for the privilege of not using him either. The quicker we're shot of him the better, for me.

Regardless of all the good intentions in the world, the minute Ireland steps onto the pitch in Villa colours, he's going to get booed by a fraction of people. Then we'd be back to square one.

MON met Ireland the day before the Valencia friendly as far as I know.

That was 3-4 days before he resigned. Now weren't we supposed to have signed an article of whatever gubbins its was much earlier than that?

That was 3-4 days before he resigned. Now weren't we supposed to have signed an article of whatever gubbins its was much earlier than that?

and of course that gubbins couldnt of been signed before they met, plus Gazton has said they met at this point which does not mean they hadnt met before its just he knows of this particular meeting.

and of course that gubbins couldnt of been signed before they met

That wouldn't be a good thing

and of course that gubbins couldnt of been signed before they met

That wouldn't be a good thing

Whys that then? Again aside from the fact they could of already met before said meeting they may have also spoke on the phone at length.

Well it tends to suggest that Ireland was an imposition not a choice. MON has always been known as a manager who "did his homework" on players, finding out what they were like as people, before he ever bought anyone. Steven Ireland never ever struck me as a MON type player, on or off the pitch. Of course it's ok to impose players on managers when that is part of the deal you signed up to (like most continental systems of club management) but I very much doubt that was anything MON ever signed up to.

Might be bollocks too but unless we get to hear both sides of the MON affair, we'll never really know will we.

Well it tends to suggest that Ireland was an imposition not a choice. MON has always been known as a manager who "did his homework" on players, finding out what they were like as people, before he ever bought anyone. Steven Ireland never ever struck me as a MON type player, on or off the pitch. Of course it's ok to impose players on managers when that is part of the deal you signed up to (like most continental systems of club management) but I very much doubt that was anything MON ever signed up to.

Might be bollocks too but unless we get to hear both sides of the MON affair, we'll never really know will we.

Indeed, and the truth is that we've heard a hell of a lot more from people connected to Lerner and Villa than we have from people close to Oneill, or even the man himself. Subsequently, we've all been given this image of Oneill as the "runaway money waster", yet we've never heard his side of the arguement, which is to his credit really.

Seems a bit unfair, and worth bearing in mind when casting dispersions about him.

Why would MON meet a player 3-4 days before he resigned? Surely he knew by then what he was going to do?

Then perhaps he should of resigned at the point he knew that he was going to resign rather than 5 days before the season started.