Stephen Ireland

Richard

Played well tonight and second only to Bannan who was man of the match. Linked up well with Albrighton and Bannan especially. Obvisously the level of oppostion wasn't great but he was always involved and with a little more luck and composure in front of goal could have had a couple of goals.

On the evidence of that performance would you start him on Saturday in place of Heskey?

No Heskey as started the season well and a good performace from Ireland against poor opposition in Hereford certainly doesn't warrant him replacing Heskey.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he played well, was okay at best really.

This---Ireland probably doesn't even score when he plays FIFA. A bit unlucky not to get a goal, but seemed aloof.

Second time you've used that joke, wasn't funny the first to be honest, should of scored the header, other was a great save, his off the ball

Movement and ability to get in these positions is excellent something many eluded to last night,I'm sure a lot more people would be singing his praises had he stuck those two chances.

Some ppl in the match thread were calling for him to be taken off and weren't even watching the game so I imagine he'll have a tough time impressing some people no matter what he does.

That said it was a 2nd division team but good run out for him.

Played well tonight and second only to Bannan who was man of the match. Linked up well with Albrighton and Bannan especially. Obvisously the level of oppostion wasn't great but he was always involved and with a little more luck and composure in front of goal could have had a couple of goals.

On the evidence of that performance would you start him on Saturday in place of Heskey?

Not a chance, heskey worked hard and played ok in a 3 nil LEAGUE win, gotta stick with him this time

Not a chance, heskey worked hard and played ok in a 3 nil LEAGUE win, gotta stick with him this time

*cough*3-1*cough*

I thought he was okay, nothing more really. He is clearly a confidence player and at the moment his confidence looks fragile but he was better than he has been but then if he can't perform against Hereford....

He was far from great though and I had expected and hoped for more from him last night if honest, Bannan was far better than him which is something Ireland should be a little embarrased about in my view.

Although he made some good passes and took up some good positions he missed two sitters which thankfully didn't prove costly.

All in all an improvement, encouraging even but not enough in my opinion for him to be in the side on Saturday.

This---Ireland probably doesn't even score when he plays FIFA.

With the focus on improved player interaction, the latest iteration of the game will be employing a unique "martyr" engine; if you have Ireland on your squad and don't play him, he attempts to take the club to court for breaking the Geneva Convention.

thought he played well last night. Always tried to use the ball well. Dont know what certain fans want from him. His performances are never good enough for some fans. Bannan probaley gave the ball away more times than ireland but he doesnt get any stick. Should of scored two, if he missed kicked his first chance it probaley would of went in. To be fair to the keeper it was a really good save. I still think he will come good for the villa but i dont think he'll ever win some fans over. His in with the petrovs and heskeys of this world. No matter what he does it will never be good enough to certain fans!

Dont know what certain fans want from him. His performances are never good enough for some fans. Bannan probaley gave the ball away more times than ireland but he doesnt get any stick.

I'm not sure on that one to be honest, they were both like Makoun quite careless in possession last night at times.

As for the comparison to Bannan, well if you want me to be critical of him I think he tries to do too much at times, he tries the killer ball too often which is why he gives it away. I can live with that though especially in a players so young.

I think expectations are rightly totally different for Bannan to Ireland which is why their performances last night are viewed differently. Bannan is a young player making his way in the game, Ireland is an established PL player, a player who cost us circa £8m and a player who we've seen is capable of some pretty good football.

So far we've not seen it, we've seen nothing of the form he showed for Man City a couple of years ago. So a performance like his last night, though an improvement on what he has done previously still falls a little short of expectations especially given the opposition.

With Bannan on the other hand their aren't really the same expectations and as such is viewed differently.

I still think he will come good for the villa but i dont think he'll ever win some fans over. His in with the petrovs and heskeys of this world. No matter what he does it will never be good enough to certain fans!

I don't agree. The cases of those two are different, they have both performed to the best of their abilities for the majority of their time at the club, the issue with these two is some people simply don't rate them as players which is fair enough.

Those who don't rate them are never going to change their minds because these players have peaked, they are both in fact past their peaks and so aren't going to improve their performances greatly if at all.

Ireland on the other hand hasn't even got close to his best football for us so I think there is every chance if he can find some decent form the vast majority of fans would change their view of him.

People also have to understand that we have probably already paid Ireland £3m for the last 12 months for doing **** all for us.

Excellent.

Is this his fault though? Has he been given a run of games? Even GH said he was fantastic in training so I'm guessing his attitude has been good if he is putting in good effort in training. He had injury problems which didn't help too. It hasn't clicked for him yet on the pitch but he's in and out and had a few mins here and there, still too early to judge him for me. I'd like to see him given a run in 3 man midfield instead of Heskey.