Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

It'd be a shame to lose both of them this summer and I think it'd be more interesting seeing Lerner tell Lambert he'd have to go speak to Bent about putting his boots on again.

Weimann is a big test for the chairman - his agent will know that. It's the player who has the upper hand here, not us.

Southampton are paying £60k a week - Norwich will be paying Rip Van Wahtsisname that amount, the money has moved on - back up players at reasonable clubs will be asking for £30k a week next season.

Yep, all the rise in Sky money will mean is that the players will end up asking for higher wages.
If that is indeed going to be the case then our chairman is going to be in for one, eh, two, emm, actually several massive shocks in the summer if we want to keep our better players.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Lambert tells Lerner that Weimann will sign for £50,000 per week.

that's an almighty If in my opinion  - I just don't think Lerner is interested anymore - as long as the club ticks over he doesn't give a toss 

Apparently Liverpool is supposed to be in for him now. They are claiming if he does not sign a contract he can go for as little as 5 million. Probably rubbish as usual but I hate the fact that you have no idea if it could happen. :(

Apparently Liverpool is supposed to be in for him now. They are claiming if he does not sign a contract he can go for as little as 5 million. Probably rubbish as usual but I hate the fact that you have no idea if it could happen. :(

If he doesn't sign a contract he can't go for any amount unless we agree to sell, until june 2014 when he's out of contract and he can join whoever he likes, but if it's an english side they'll have to pay pretty hefty compensation

£50k pw is not unreasonable for a player like Andi (although it may be considered so at VP currently) and he will get the same or more elsewhere. I think we should start the ball rolling on £40k and see if we can agree something to keep the vultures away as soon as possible (with a get out clause for him should we not stay up this season). "The People" are linking him to Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool today and refer to "the cash-conscious Germans" being "keen on striking a bargain deal this summer". For me it is time for us to prove we are not a selling club or a feeder club for the likes of Liverpool. Keeping Andi would be a good start whilst letting him go for peanuts because he has been allowed to reach the last year of his contract and/or wants more than our frugal wage structure will allow will suggest that is just what we have become.

Edited by John

That's true but it's his first season of regular football.

Many would have said Marc Albrighton was on the radar of Liverpool & the like after his breakout season and wouldn't they have all had egg on their faces now?

It'd be a shame to lose both of them this summer and I think it'd be more interesting seeing Lerner tell Lambert he'd have to go speak to Bent about putting his boots on again.

Very true, but I reckon Bent will be off in the summer. Lambert could have a huge job on his hands during the pre-season with rebuilding the attack and sorting out our poor defence.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Well look at what he has done for Villa (Fulham goal) and compare that to what Ireland has done. Ireland doesn't deserve 50k a week.

Most reports will say that Ireland is earning significantly more than that.  I'm of the belief that he is on somewhere between £65k-£70k  at the moment, and probably the highest earner at the club at the moment. 

Ireland signed an improved deal at Manchester City because he had a good season after the Arabs took over. They then decided they wanted to get rid of him and insisted that he was a makeweight in the James Milner transfer.  It seems we were so keen to cash in on Milner that nobody decided to stop and read the small print.   We got absolutely **** on that deal  

Edited by The_Rev

£50k pw is not unreasonable for a player like Andi...

I think it is unreasonable. I like him a great deal, and he's a fantastic prospect. But a 21 year old (or thereabouts) with about a season's worth of games played is not (on my planet at least) "worth" 50 grand a week or (£2.6 million a year).

Well look at what he has done for Villa (Fulham goal) and compare that to what Ireland has done. Ireland doesn't deserve 50k a week.

Most reports will say that Ireland is earning significantly more than that.  I'm of the belief that he is on somewhere between £65k-£70k  at the moment, and probably the highest earner at the club at the moment. 

Ireland signed an improved deal at Manchester City because he had a good season after the Arabs took over. They then decided they wanted to get rid of him and insisted that he was a makeweight in the James Milner transfer.  It seems we were so keen to cash in on Milner that nobody decided to stop and read the small print.   We got absolutely **** on that deal  

absolutely agree with that

Andi Weimann has had a good season and has a lot of impressive qualities, not least his enthusiasm, hard running and ability to pop up in the right place at the right time to provide assists and to slot in the odd goal.

He's a great asset and has a lot of potential and I've been a massive fan for a few seasons now but there are obvious rough edges to his game, times when his determination needs to be moderated by a cool head, and the need to get better at shooting.

It's absurd to think that a promising young player can command £50k per week and personally I would not like to see us paying it. In my view it's getting such pumped up salaries at too early a stage in their careers that is one of the causes of young players losing their sharpness and failing to make progress.

I'm sure he can get a lot better than he is now, when he will "earn" his £50k, but I wouldn't like to see Villa pay him that much next season. If it means he moves on, so be it.

Edited by briny_ear

£50k pw is not unreasonable for a player like Andi...

I think it is unreasonable. I like him a great deal, and he's a fantastic prospect. But a 21 year old (or thereabouts) with about a season's worth of games played is not (on my planet at least) "worth" 50 grand a week or (£2.6 million a year).

Totally agreed, there is no chance in hell he should command that fee from any club at the moment..

He doesn't seem the type to be a billy big bollocks and ask for that. Knowing the club, we're stalling on something like 25k.

If Weimann went I'd cry. Seriously. Then if Guzan went, i'd invade the pitch and break down in the centre circle.

If Weimann wants more than 40k per week he'd be better off looking at another club. He won't get it here

If he wants more than £40k a week after a season's worth of games, then I'll have no problem with him looking elsewhere

I think there is a going rate in the league we are in now Blandy & StefanAVFC. I think the wages players expect are too high and I hope Andi would take less but you either pay the wages the better players want or sell them to buy players that will sign for much less, take a punt that they will develop with us into better players and then in turn sell those players when they look for better deals. It becomes a circle of the club developing players only to sell them on at a profit and of us not seeing those players develop with us and make our team better. We would then be left with what we have this season on repeat rather than with hope that we can progress as a team by bringing on players for our own football club to make us better each season.

• Like 1

Â