Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

He lacks composure and quality on the ball.....but where i will give him credit at least he moves around to try and make himself available to the player on the ball....more than can be said of the others including Benteke who is statuesque at times waiting for it to be delivered in a knapkin.

Edited by TRO

Yes, he has wasted many chances lately. Yes, his technique could be better.

However, he does get into scoring positions and does get chances, unlike our other players. I'm not sure you want to get rid of a player like that on a team that doesn't score. Would it be better to let him get his groove back?

He gets chances because of his position. Means nothing without execution!

Sorry. Tom, I don't buy that at all. He often plays a big part in creating the chances with his runs. Sometimes awkwardly, but he does. And he is in the right place more than our other guys, I'd almost like to say including Benteke, but that would lead the conversation astray.

Oh, and about execution - who else in our team has executed better so far this season?

Can we stop the "down the middle" myth yet?

Make Benteke play right mid and see how he does. Weimann was a goal poacher. He was essentially a young version of Bent but to get him into the team, Lambert put him outwide. It's been a while, but there was some stats posted that showed when Weimann started as a striker, he had just above .5 goal to game ratio. He is not a winger because he can't pass, cross, and he does not have amazing pace. What Weimann does have is good positioning, he makes smart runs, and if given more than one chance per match, he can score. Weimann should be used when we are needing a goal and he should be put up top next to Benteke not out wide.

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with that statement in bold. He doesn't make smart runs, he just runs a lot, an awful lot. He had several chances yesterday to either score or make an assist, or do something productive with the ball at the very least, but he didn't and quite often doesn't.

He isn't good enough to be a starting striker in the Premier League. He lacks composure, he lacks technical ability, no matter how much he runs or puts the effort in he is woeful in front of goal. 

What happened to the guy that we saw in Lambert's first season?

He does exactly that in my opinion: good runs into scoring areas.

Thats the problem with all our players....they are all incomplete

although i have to say that Sanchez performance was close to the most complete midfield performance i have seen at villa park for years.

• Like 1

Thats the problem with all our players....they are all incomplete

although i have to say that Sanchez performance was close to the most complete midfield performance i have seen at villa park for years.

I think you're not far from truth there TRO. Edited by AVTuco

However, he does get into scoring positions and does get chances, unlike our other players. I'm not sure you want to get rid of a player like that on a team that doesn't score. Would it be better to let him get his groove back?

Sorry. Tom, I don't buy that at all. He often plays a big part in creating the chances with his runs. Sometimes awkwardly, but he does. And he is in the right place more than our other guys, I'd almost like to say including Benteke, but that would lead the conversation astray.

Oh, and about execution - who else in our team has executed better so far this season?

None of them really that's the problem! Benteke will do when given 3/4 good opportunities a game. I do really like Weimann, and i remember him in Benteke's first season and he looked good, popping up in the right places - I specifically remember the run he made into the centre of the box, Benteke crossed it in along the floor and Weimann smashed it. Tore the **** net off! He looks disheartened to be honest and i agree that he isn't in his "natural position" or whatever. BUT i do only think he plays a part because he's on the field in the first place - a lot of players would do a lot better i think. 

None of them really that's the problem! Benteke will do when given 3/4 good opportunities a game. I do really like Weimann, and i remember him in Benteke's first season and he looked good, popping up in the right places - I specifically remember the run he made into the centre of the box, Benteke crossed it in along the floor and Weimann smashed it. Tore the **** net off! He looks disheartened to be honest and i agree that he isn't in his "natural position" or whatever. BUT i do only think he plays a part because he's on the field in the first place - a lot of players would do a lot better i think.

I know, I remember those matches and warm feelings too.

I suppose we agree on most things, but not the last point you raise. I'm not sure a lot of, or any in fact, of the players currently on our bench realistically could do better. Andi did score early in the season, and I believe can still score. But I agree we have to try to change things, and Bacuna and Grealish should get more chances. I'd drop Zog before Andi, and maybe rotate Andi and Gabby to make room for those two.

A striker playing out wide. That's the problem. Stick him upfront in a 2 and he could score a dozen in the league. Stick him out wide he wont.

I want to believe this is true, but I can't.

Wiemann's biggest problems are his poor touch and his composure. Putting him up front doesn't change that.

• Like 2

He is just not very good. His high work rate is by far his best assest, other than that he is a poor finisher and has a terrible touch to name but two faults. Probably the first player in the first Xi I would look to replace if I was the manager.

His finishing is his best attribute, dont get me wrong he has absolutely no ability when it comes to taking on players which is something you need in the position he is playing. Towards the end today he was getting some abuse and he looked like he couldn't wait to get off the pitch.

I stand by what I said the other day, in a 442 like the old days he would score more.

Edited by Jimzk5

Â