Rapid Vienna 1-1 Aston Villa - Reactions and ratings!

PompeyVillan

Good result, average performance as you say.

Guzan - 7 - Some good saves, some iffy moments.

Lichaj - 5 - I thought he was poor.

Davies - 6.5 - First half was average, 2nd half picked it up a fair bit and looked solid.

Beye - 6.5 - The opposite, started well, ended with some mistakes.

Warnock - 6 - Pretty average, Just looked lazy.

Downing - 6 - Barely got involved, then again, we barely had the ball.

Reo-Coker - 6 - Average but then again, he was playing in midfield by himself and was the one having to pick the ball up and play, that's not his game.

Albrighton - 7.5 - lost the ball a few times but lack of options didn't help, still looked lively and our biggest threat.

Bannan - 7 - started well, looked good but faded as the game went on.

Heskey - 7 - thought he did a good job up there, held it up well, bought others into the game, was unlucky with a header that was blocked. Little service and little to work with and support. Did the best he could.

Osbourne - 10 - got on the pitch.

Ref - 1 - total disgrace.

agree with most of that POB, although Curt would have got a 7 for me - was better than Beye. Thought Curt did well, all things considered.

Emile also did what was asked of him.

Good ratings Sir.

EDIT: also thought Coker played really well - maybe a 7 for me. And I know Boss Hogg was a bit anonymous, but to give him no rating at all? harsh!! :lol: :winkold:

Kids are kids. Not really disappointed with any of them, given how little first team football they've played. The experienced players are who let me down. Davies, Beye, Warnock, and Downing in particular. Stewie might as well have not been on the pitch after the first half hour.

Reo-Coker was awful. His passing all over the place. That and his decision making with the ball messed up numerous attacks and put us in trouble at the back too.

Totally disagree, NRC broke up play well and got forward on the right occasions. Being on a yellow card for so long I was worried but he kept disciplined and didn't do any rash challenges.

Ditto - he was quite aggressive but in a positive way. Thought he showed a lot of heart.

How can people moan at Heskey?

He played upfront by himself, held the ball up 8/10 with shit service, had barely anyone within 10 yards of him at any point, he did the best in tough conditions.

Talk about just having a dig at a player because of who he is.

And how many shots did he have ?

Trying not to be too simplistic here, but I will stick my neck out and say that Albrighton will probably get MOTM - so if out winger was so good - why the hell did our forward not get within 30 yards of any of his crosses !

Probably because he's useless

Carew showed how to lead a line properly at the weekend. Heskey is no outlet at all. The ball just bounces off the clearing in the woods.

No doubt if Heskey was upfront saturday, you'd be lambasting him for missing 3 absolute sitters.

Yes you're right. Well done.

i think he was insinuating that would have lambasted heskey, whereas you seem to have forgotten carew cocked them all up.

I'm aware Carew didn't score, but apart from that, it was a masterclass in playing up front on your own. He harried, bullied, put himself about, held the ball up, took people on and made a nuisance of himself. Because it took more than one person to look after him it created space for other players. I saw nothing like that from E-Mule tonight.

edit: and I'm aware of what he was trying to say, thanks. I chose not to argue.

fair enough. i think we'd all rather have carew than heskey in the team on any given night but having said that i feel that it doesnt really matter how big emile plays he will always get a rollocking from folks on here. thought he was decent tonight, even if most of his work was winning a number of free kicks.

from what I saw NRC played pretty damn well, the reason he gave the ball away a few times was either no one was telling him man on and turned into a charging player, or he received a poor pass and had to try and to something clever in order to keep posession.

He did make some mistakes though, but he isn't Zidane.

Good result, average performance as you say.

Guzan - 7 - Some good saves, some iffy moments.

Lichaj - 5 - I thought he was poor.

Davies - 6.5 - First half was average, 2nd half picked it up a fair bit and looked solid.

Beye - 6.5 - The opposite, started well, ended with some mistakes.

Warnock - 6 - Pretty average, Just looked lazy.

Downing - 6 - Barely got involved, then again, we barely had the ball.

Reo-Coker - 6 - Average but then again, he was playing in midfield by himself and was the one having to pick the ball up and play, that's not his game.

Albrighton - 7.5 - lost the ball a few times but lack of options didn't help, still looked lively and our biggest threat.

Bannan - 7 - started well, looked good but faded as the game went on.

Heskey - 7 - thought he did a good job up there, held it up well, bought others into the game, was unlucky with a header that was blocked. Little service and little to work with and support. Did the best he could.

Osbourne - 10 - got on the pitch.

Ref - 1 - total disgrace.

agree with most of that POB, although Curt would have got a 7 for me - was better than Beye. Thought Curt did well, all things considered.

Emile also did what was asked of him.

Good ratings Sir.

EDIT: also thought Coker played really well - maybe a 7 for me. And I know Boss Hogg was a bit anonymous, but to give him no rating at all? harsh!! :lol: :winkold:

:lol: If I'm honest, I forgot. I'd probably give him a 4. I don't think he give it away but I think he only touched it 3 times. Two of those touches were in the warm up.

My ratings:

Guzan - 7.5 - Some great saves throughout and not at fault for our goal.

Warnock - 6.5 - Looked a little sloppy today.

Davies - 5 - No presence whatsoever. He can't head the ball. I'd sell him.

Beye - 5.5 - An extra 0.5 because he was out of position but was at fault for the goal. I'd also sell him.

Lichaj - 6.5 - Some good tackling and forward running but was let down by his distribution. He is clearly rough around the edges but with some experience I think he could do a job for us. I'd happily let him be L.Young's understudy for the season.

Downing - 6.5 - Reasonable. Looking more comfortable at taking people on which is probably a by-product of confidence.

Hogg - 6 - Anonymous in the first half but better in the 2nd, broke up the play and passed well a few times.

NRC - 7.5 - Broke up midfield very well in the 2nd half, made some good supporting runs. His passing was hit and miss but that's the price you pay for his athleticism and tackling work.

Bannan - 6.5 - Took his goal well after making a good run. Pretty quiet at times but tenacious at others.

Albrighton - 7.5 - Worked his arse off, always looking to take on his man - some lovely skills and a great assist. Does lose the ball sometimes but really, really wants to play. Great to watch him.

Heskey - 7.5 - A good shift from the big man for a change. He ran a helluva lot, held up the ball well, sprayed some passes out wide. Possibly the best I've seen him in a Villa shirt.

The subs didn't really warrant a mention.

It was a bold selection from K-Mac and it was a good result at the end of the day when you look at how young the team was. We played very few first teamers out there tonight and at a ground as intimidating as Vienna's with their rather... uncouth.. fans, the youngsters acquitted themselves well. I was not impressed with Davies at all and rusty or not, he did not do the basics well and I can't see a future for him at VP. Currently 5th choice CB for me now. I don't want to slag Beye off too much because he was in a position that he simply can't play. If MON played him there, a fair few people would be apoplectic on here.

I'm pretty damned plaesed with the result and thought that the performance was spot on for the first half an hour. Thought Rapid players and fans were a disgrace. Cheeting, diving bastards. That experience will do them the world of good. Was pleased with Bannan for the first half hour but as people have said, faded as the game went on. Gutted for Weimann. hope he comes back soon.

I felt that this was a good result with the scores level and an away goal to take back to Birmingham.

We'll batter them next week with our 1st teamers back. Couldn't have expected more from some of the youngsters out there tonight, but Albrighton and Bannan looked very promising.

1-1 was a good result considering we were defensively very poor on occasions in the game (set pieces especially).

Albrighton was the only real bright spot for me as he has continued the good impression that he made on Saturday (and, it would seem, during pre-season).

Worst part was what the other thread was about - the behaviour of the Rapid 'fans' (most especially at a player being carried around the edge of the pith on a stretcher). Disgraceful stuff.

Got the result we needed with an average team. I thought that the left side in this team would be better. they wouldn't. Heskey looks like pretty fat grandpa he looked tired after 30 minutes.

defence was very shaky. I hope not to see them all together again.

Guzan - 5

Lichaj - 5

Beye - 6

Davis -6

Warnock - 6

Albrighton - 8

Coker - 5

Hogg - 4

Bannan - 7

Downing - 6

Heskey - 6

Decent result considering the team we played.

Ref was crap

Their fans were a disgrace.

Worried Ashley Young were left at home to not cup tie them?

Or maybe rested for Sunday

Damn! I missed the Heskey discussion. I love Emile's work ethic when the ball is a yard away from him or when he loses the ball.

Or when the attack is building around the box and he, the only striker, is sauntering up the pitch from the half way line

Got the result we needed with an average team. I thought that the left side in this team would be better. they wouldn't. Heskey looks like pretty fat grandpa he looked tired after 30 minutes.

defence was very shaky. I hope not to see them all together again.

Your name

adore.gif

Heskey did very fine linking up with Albrighton and thus played a part in the first goal.

Not good in second half, though.

But gotta laugh at those who wanted Delfouneso up front on his own. Everyone forgot his display against Benfica?

Â