Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

This cockup by MON? Is that rewritingb history to suit a particular viewpoint of blaming MON for everything?

Let's just look at the facts of the Delph signing shall we.

At the time he was recognised as the best young prospect outside of the top flight, linked with many clubs was in demand and also Man Citeh bid for him at the time. He was THE young player to have and considering that now people are saying that MONs transfer policy was wrong and we should have been signing this young and up an coming players who have a resale value I would say he fitted very much into that category of player. I mean you yourself has saiud this is the type we should be signing here yet now you use it as a stick with which to beat up the Sunderland manager

He signed and , as far as I recall, started brightly but then suffered a long term injury which I personally feel has totally stalled his career.

Has he developed as well as we would have liked? No

Is it "yet another cockup" that we can lay at the feet of the devil Oneill? No

Richard, I agree with most of what you say about Delph and in fact I'm still hopeful that he'll come good if played in the right role. Playing devils advocate however, he was indeed considered a bright prospect and Man City did make a bid BUT even more of the top managers didn't (even twitcher 'arry didn't give him a mention). The point is MON did and it appears got it wrong and blew yet another £7? £10? £12? million. Maybe I'm worng but I don't see MON coming on for Delph anytime soon.

The bottom line is that Delph has showed virtually nothing to justify the hype and price we paid for him. Yes he has had injuries but there are no excused for some of the passing and performances so far.

He showed promise that he could justify the hype before he got injured.

Against Fiorentina, Man Utd in the League and Blackburn in the cup - I remember him being excellent.

Perhaps playing in a defensive role and lacking in confidence due to poor performances has really effected his game?

I never recall him having a bad touch or a poor pass before his injury. He used to play with freedom. He would often be the only player in our team with the confidence and ability to take on a player, his left-footed passing was always sharp and he often challenged the keeper (much in the way that Bannan now tries to, the only difference being that Delph's were a lot more accurate).

I'd really like him to stick around and be given a chance to play his natural, attacking game.

The bottom line is that Delph has showed virtually nothing to justify the hype and price we paid for him. Yes he has had injuries but there are no excused for some of the passing and performances so far.

Against Fiorentina, Man Utd in the League and Blackburn in the cup - I remember him being excellent.

Perhaps playing in a defensive role and lacking in confidence due to poor performances has really effected his game?

I never recall him having a bad touch or a poor pass before his injury. He used to play with freedom. He would often be the only player in our team with the confidence and ability to take on a player, his left-footed passing was always sharp and he often challenged the keeper (much in the way that Bannan now tries to, the only difference being that Delph's were a lot more accurate).

I'd really like him to stick around and be given a chance to play his natural, attacking game.

I agree with this. Hell, even last season (Bolton away sticks out) he was great, and ironically his first touch and close control were excellent. I don't know how he managed to screw up so bad this season. Probably has to do with our manager. Sigh.

guy is always injured. if someone bid 6m i would sell to be honest. hasnt shown much to me

Agreed, we would only lose 2 mill.. And get another injury prone player of the wage bill. cut our losses.

Or.. we could keep him, try to play him in his favoured role, keep him as a rotation option (as I doubt he's on high wages) and then IF he picks his form back up, we'll either have a quality, young player on our hands, or we can sell him for a higher fee.

We really are laughable at times, we speak about buying over the hill has beens on high wages (which we have) and covet bringing in young promising players (like Delph) and then cannot wait to rip into them.

This kid is talented, he has been misused, abused and ruined by three successive Villa managers. If this kid had gone to Wigan, or Swansea, we would be casting envious eyes at him. Some teams can put these players in and stick by them as they develop and make their mistakes. At VP, we are like the Sun, we set them up for the fall.

I watched this kid run the game against Fiorentina on his debut, the talent was (and maybe still is) there. We just used it poorly.

guy is always injured. if someone bid 6m i would sell to be honest. hasnt shown much to me

Agreed, we would only lose 2 mill.. And get another injury prone player of the wage bill. cut our losses.

Or.. we could keep him, try to play him in his favoured role, keep him as a rotation option (as I doubt he's on high wages) and then IF he picks his form back up, we'll either have a quality, young player on our hands, or we can sell him for a higher fee.

yeah that could make sense.. the problem now is he has a reputation of being an Injury prone player.no one is gonna buy him knowing he is so fragile, one wrong turn he could be out for a whole season.

I agree with this. Hell, even last season (Bolton away sticks out) he was great, and ironically his first touch and close control were excellent. I don't know how he managed to screw up so bad this season. Probably has to do with our manager. Sigh.

McLeish gets a lot of stick for a lot of things rightly so (IMO) but can he seriously be blamed for a player losing the ability to control a ball?

We really are laughable at times, we speak about buying over the hill has beens on high wages (which we have) and covet bringing in young promising players (like Delph) and then cannot wait to rip into them.

This kid is talented, he has been misused, abused and ruined by three successive Villa managers. If this kid had gone to Wigan, or Swansea, we would be casting envious eyes at him. Some teams can put these players in and stick by them as they develop and make their mistakes. At VP, we are like the Sun, we set them up for the fall.

I watched this kid run the game against Fiorentina on his debut, the talent was (and maybe still is) there. We just used it poorly.

Actaully when you put it like that i do agree. I think we should give him the whole of next season, and see what kind of player we have at the end of next season..

This kid is talented, he has been misused, abused and ruined by three successive Villa managers.

I thought he a had a decent run of games under Houllier (but I honestly can't remember).

MON played him then seemed to drop him mid-game, even if he was our MOTM at the time.

McLeish has been playing him in a defensive role, perhaps believing that Keane/ Ireland were better options in the attacking role.

Either way, I would really like him to be given another chance - as long as it's in a more attacking role!!

McLeish gets a lot of stick for a lot of things rightly so (IMO) but can he seriously be blamed for a player losing the ability to control a ball?

Perhaps he put too much pressure on him earlier in the season to perform, which could explain why he always looks very nervous. In the first 2 or 3 games he was good, even getting MOTM for one of them IIRC. As the season went on he started to look more nervous with each passing game. The only thing that changed since last season wrt Delph and his game is the manager he plays for.

It's only speculation on my part as it baffles me how a player can go from having (imo) one of the best close control in the squad (I used to be very impressed with that aspect of his game last season, even when he played left back)...to not even being able to control a ball.

Great post. Given his cruciate injury, it's far too early to write him off.

Running the show in a one off pre season friendly and performing week in week out in the premier league are miles apart :lol:

im not sure we could afford to give him another season to prove himself, if we sell now, we could get around £2m for him which could go towards a better DM, if we wait another season, other clubs might then see hes not quite good enough to buy, and we wont sell, just like beye, which in turn will cost us more money in wages and lost money from sale

I don't think he should be written of just yet. He was playing poorly earlier this season but i still think he's got the attributes to be a good player. Think he has more potential than bannan and would like to see him once we bring in an athletic ball winning DM.

Running the show in a one off pre season friendly and performing week in week out in the premier league are miles apart :lol:

I would argue that since that game, you can count the number of times he has actually played in his rightful position on the fingers of one hand.

If I was Villa manager, one of the first things I would do is tell Deph he is the future in centre mid alongside Gary Gardner. Now go and show me that week in week out.

Play him ahead of Ireland and Gardner? I like Fabian, I think he has some potential but the resurgence of Ireland and the unveiling of our new wunderkid have just about done for him. Then you've got to concider where do Gabby and N'Zogbia fit in? Albrighton and Bannan who despite some derision have done much more for the club over a similar period.

I'd be amazed if he makes it now.

I would argue that since that game, you can count the number of times he has actually played in his rightful position on the fingers of one hand.

If I was Villa manager, one of the first things I would do is tell Deph he is the future in centre mid alongside Gary Gardner. Now go and show me that week in week out.

I couldn't think of anything worse. Delph is terrible. The quicker he goes back to the lower leagues the better

Â