Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Good game from Delph and revelled in the space.

I can't help but think that he could do this every game if we had more midfielders....

I think if we had somebody who plays the defensive midfield role really well, Delph would become even better.

He does this move where he kind of drags the ball back with his left foot and pinballs it onto his right foot while passing whoever is defending him. It's a slick little maneuver, and it's all his own, I don't see any other player doing that. Fun player to watch when his confidence is up and he's got some freedom and space. Ridiculous goal. I'd love to see him crack the England team, but I doubt it'll happen with Hodgson at the helm.

Ha! I knew that was coming.

Because it's clearly rubbish isn't it? To claim he has no(t much) ability on the ball, when ability on the ball is his best asset is the very definition of nonsense.

He's an excellent player already and I find it hard to imagine him going backwards. Still only 24 but younger still development wise. Deceptively strong, nippy and confident. Goes missing at times, but whenever we assert ourselves he's the focal point of that 9 times out of 10.

A great story is Delph. Written off by almost all, myself included.

I wouldn't say so. His dribbling ability is his best on-the-ball attribute but that is one thing. If footballing ability is purely judged by dribbling, then you are correct. When you say his ability on the ball is his 'best asset' that is your opinion and many would disagree.

Also, I'm not sure why you need to phrase what I said as 'he has no(t much) ability on the ball' when I never used the word 'no' at any time. A bit petty really.

I'm differentiating between being "on the ball" and "passing the ball" yes, considering they're two different, definable assets.

'On-the-ball' in the context I was speaking of meant overall ability in possession. Passing being fundamental to that.

You can only judge how good he is in possession of the ball, when we actually keep the ball, which we don't do alot anyway as we like to play on the break. There seems to be a bit of backtracking now as your original statement looks a bit stupid so I'll leave it at that.

He does this move where he kind of drags the ball back with his left foot and pinballs it onto his right foot while passing whoever is defending him. It's a slick little maneuver, and it's all his own, I don't see any other player doing that. Fun player to watch when his confidence is up and he's got some freedom and space. Ridiculous goal. I'd love to see him crack the England team, but I doubt it'll happen with Hodgson at the helm.

I think if he switched with Cleverley at United, Delph be an improvement over him.

Going the other way, Cleverley would be a step backwards if he came here as a swap for Delph.

And if Cleverley was playing for a less fashionable team, he would be nowhere near the England team.

Edited by dodgyknees

Saw a little bit of the Hull/City game, where the commentator was saying Huddlestone got a call up to the national team while on the fringes at Spurs, but while he's been at Hull, where he's been really solid, Woy hasn't given him a look in.

Pretty much sums it up.

• Like 2

You can only judge how good he is in possession of the ball, when we actually keep the ball, which we don't do alot anyway as we like to play on the break. There seems to be a bit of backtracking now as your original statement looks a bit stupid so I'll leave it at that.

Well it would seem like backtracking when you deliberately misunderstand what was said. Also no, we don't have to keep lots of possession to judge how good a player is when they have the ball.

When Delph first came here, his main attribute was his skill on the ball. I said it over and over again, it seemed like he could run in circles with the ball seemingly glued to his foot. I feared he may have lost this ability, after his injury and being played defensively, but he definitely still has it!

'On-the-ball' in the context I was speaking of meant overall ability in possession. Passing being fundamental to that.

Delph had an 85% pass accuracy last night, the highest of anyone on the team. He had 83% vs. Norwich, the best of any in the midfield three.

• Like 3

Well it would seem like backtracking when you deliberately misunderstand what was said. Also no, we don't have to keep lots of possession to judge how good a player is when they have the ball.

Hang on, when I pointed the WBA goal, you stated it was an isolated incident, so can you tell me what that isolated incident had to do with passing the ball. So who is misunderstanding who? Anyway lets hope for more isolated incidents.

Delph had an 85% pass accuracy last night, the highest of anyone on the team. He had 83% vs. Norwich, the best of any in the midfield three.

I used to use PSR to prove passing ability too but I have come to realise that it doesn't prove a lot in itself. El-Ahmadi has had games this season with his PSR in the 90s for example.

Hang on, when I pointed the WBA goal, you stated it was an isolated incident, so can you tell me what that isolated incident had to do with passing the ball. So who is misunderstanding who? Anyway lets hope for more isolated incidents.

I stated it was an isolated incident because it kind of was. Delph being involved in such moments offensively is generally rare but obviously it's encouraging to see him starting to do it more often. Let's hope it continues.

Â