Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

RVP won it as it was the goal that also won Utd the league, or at least in that game, the class of the goal added to the importance of it was why it won. It shouldn't have though.

It wasn't really important. They would've scored at a different point in that game, or at least in one of the FOUR remaining games they had. Lowton goal was much more important for villa avoiding relegation.

RVP won it as it was the goal that also won Utd the league, or at least in that game, the class of the goal added to the importance of it was why it won. It shouldn't have though.

It wasn't really important. They would've scored at a different point in that game, or at least in one of the FOUR remaining games they had. Lowton goal was much more important for villa avoiding relegation.

You're right, in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that important. But the reason it won goal of the season wasn't because it was RVP, but because not only was it a very good goal, but they could legitimately add the strap-line of "title winning goal", and to an extent it wouldn't be untrue.

Back on topic though, Delph was fantastic tonight, if he keeps up this form he should definitely be on the plane to Brazil. I can't think of any goals off the top of my head from this season that were better than tonight's either.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

The Van Persie goal was offside and it really irritates me that it not only cost us a goal and Lowton GOTM, it also got ignored again to get GOTS. Any time it was discussed it pissed me off that not one pundit went "hey, he's actually beyond the last defender when that ball is played to him..."

Edited by sellbydate

The Van Persie goal was offside and it really irritates me that it not only cost us a goal and Lowton GOTM, it also got ignored again to get GOTS. Any time it was discussed it pissed me off that not one pundit went "hey, he's actually beyond the last defender when that ball is played to him..."

The problem lies with the fact that MoTD don't pick the 10 best goals of the season they just use each month's goal of the month. That's how Lowton's wasn't even in contention despite easily being one of the top 3 goals of the season.

Edited by Mantis

You stated he doesn't have on the ball ability, what exactly does that mean? It seems your applying it to everything. He can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't shoot and then you find a few random quotes and apply them to your thinking. I disagree that you believe he has no ability on the ball, if he had no ability on the ball the West Brom goal wouldn't have happened. But instead you say its isolated which I'm surprised as usually you would say it was luck. Delph is no way the finished article and nor have I ever stated that but you are doing a massive disservice by stating he has next to no ability on the ball.

Well firstly, I actually said that he isn't a particularly good footballer and doesn't possess much ability on the ball. Not that he has 'no ability on the ball' as you are trying to make out. As expected you neglect to mention where I outlined what I feel his strengths are and my belief that these make up for the deficiency in his footballing ability. Also, when did I even mentioning his dribbling ability? Or shooting ability for that matter?

No offense but it seems like you are just intentionally picking up the wrong end of the stick to make an arguement that isn't there.

Another isolated incident, not bad for a player who doesn't possess much on the ball ability.

The problem lies with the fact that MoTD don't pick the 10 best goals of the season they just use each month's goal of the month. That's how Lowton's wasn't even in contention despite easily being one of the top 3 goals of the season.

that's what I mean sorry, the offside was ignored twice. so Lowton got denied the opportunity to be there and they then even gave it goal of the season despite having had however many weeks to finish wanking themselves stupid over it being Van Persie and look at it objectively. No goal where there's been an incorrect decision from officials should win any award, despite how wonderfully taken it was! 

Back to Delph, if that was Suarez/Sturridge linking up for that goal today, we'd have had to endure all that 'SAS' bollocks for weeks

Edited by sellbydate
  • Like 2

Ha! I knew that was coming.

Because it's clearly rubbish isn't it? To claim he has no(t much) ability on the ball, when ability on the ball is his best asset is the very definition of nonsense.

He's an excellent player already and I find it hard to imagine him going backwards. Still only 24 but younger still development wise. Deceptively strong, nippy and confident. Goes missing at times, but whenever we assert ourselves he's the focal point of that 9 times out of 10.

A great story is Delph. Written off by almost all, myself included.

Isn't his best ability his positioning and ability to win the ball back and harass players? He can't really pass well enough to say on the ball is his best ability

Because it's clearly rubbish isn't it? To claim he has no(t much) ability on the ball, when ability on the ball is his best asset is the very definition of nonsense.

He's an excellent player already and I find it hard to imagine him going backwards. Still only 24 but younger still development wise. Deceptively strong, nippy and confident. Goes missing at times, but whenever we assert ourselves he's the focal point of that 9 times out of 10.

Isn't his best ability his positioning and ability to win the ball back and harass players? He can't really pass well enough to say on the ball is his best ability

His best asset, to my eyes at least, is his dribbling. The ability to worm his way out of tight spots and go past people. That's "on the ball" is it not? Or do you not think he's good at that?

• Like 4

His best asset, to my eyes at least, is his dribbling. The ability to worm his way out of tight spots and go past people. That's "on the ball" is it not? Or do you not think he's good at that?

He's very good at it, so if you limit on the ball to while he has the ball, you're right. But his passing is his worst asset, and when you're on the ball you always have to get rid of it at some point

I wouldn't say so. His dribbling ability is his best on-the-ball attribute but that is one thing. If footballing ability is purely judged by dribbling, then you are correct. When you say his ability on the ball is his 'best asset' that is your opinion and many would disagree.

Also, I'm not sure why you need to phrase what I said as 'he has no(t much) ability on the ball' when I never used the word 'no' at any time. A bit petty really.

I'm differentiating between being "on the ball" and "passing the ball" yes, considering they're two completely different, definable assets.

'On-the-ball' in the context I was speaking of meant overall ability in possession. Passing being fundamental to that.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Â