Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

To be fair though re: that West Ham goal; if Vlaar had been playing we wouldn't have conceded it but as it was indecisive Nathan Baker involved it meant Delph had to try and do something whilst facing his own goal.

If you watch the build up again Baker should have taken charge of the situation and put his foot through it, as Vlaar would have done but neither he nor Delph took command and by the time Delph realised he had to do something it was too late as Nolan was on top of him.

I'm not absolving him of blame entirely but I think it needs to be shared in equal measure with Baker

His passing is average and his decision making is erratic but he is the only midfielder we have that can beat a couple of players with pure skill.  Once we sign a quality attacking midfielder he will benefit from it as he won't have to overdo things and should have an easy out ball, also he has a great engine and his tackling has improved a lot. Next season I believe we will see the best of Delph.  Hopefully he signs a new contract.

Â