Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I've seen Delph take some great touches to get by players and some great first touches taking the ball down.

I've also seen him mishit a simple 5 yard pass and dawdle on the ball because he didn't know where to go immediately. He needs to get better in those aspects of the game.

I agree Kwan. He does sometimes display some nice touches and take-ons but on the other hand how many times do we see where he makes a poor touch, loses the ball and then makes a rash foul to win it back? I don't think he is an awful footballer (of Sylla proportions) or anything like that but it is the weakest aspect of his game certainly, especially his passing ability which ties in to his reading of the game I suppose. Just a bit mediocre in those aspects, although he does make up for it with his terrific off the ball contribution it should be pointed out.

Edited by Isa

The thing about Delph is when he's good everything he does is incredibly obvious and flashy. When, say, Westwood has a good game it's not clear until he is not there, the Newcastle game being the big example.

Delph has bags of potential, but because he can be so explosive when he is good he's a tad overrated. Atm I wouldn't put him that much further ahead of Westwood or KEA.

He does sometimes display some nice touches and take-ons but on the other hand how many times do we see where he makes a poor touch, loses the ball and then makes a rash foul to win it back? 

Not as often as we saw him do this last season or earlier in his career; he's improved greatly. And in the main, we don't see the above nearly as often as we see him win the ball cleanly, dribble his way out of trouble, or win key fouls. His positives outweigh his negatives for me. He does still need to work on his final ball, I think we can all agree on that, and I'd like to see him trying more give-and-go's (he did this a lot with Bennett last season but I haven't seen it as much with Luna/Bertrand this year) and grab a few more goals. There's always room for improvement.

I'd also agree that Delph is a "flashier" player than Westwood or KEA and as such, we are maybe prone to overrate him a bit (and similarly, prone to "not get" what KEA and Westwood contribute). But the improvement he's made this season is undeniable. A couple of years ago I don't think many people had much hope that Delph would make it here. I'm pleased for him.

• Like 1

Not as often as we saw him do this last season or earlier in his career; he's improved greatly.

To be fair, this is true.

His positives outweigh his negatives for me.

Certainly. I don't think anybody here would dispute that.

• Like 1

I'd also agree that Delph is a "flashier" player than Westwood or KEA and as such, we are maybe prone to overrate him a bit (and similarly, prone to "not get" what KEA and Westwood contribute). But the improvement he's made this season is undeniable. A couple of years ago I don't think many people had much hope that Delph would make it here. I'm pleased for him.

Absolutely agree.

One isolated incident? You are trying to make out he is not good with the ball, do you actually know what you are talking about at times. He has great feet and has showed it numerous times this season. The way your making out is that he could never actually control a football.

I'm sorry I disagree. I think he contributes very little on the ball. I'm not trying to make out he is a complete clogger but I don't think he is very good in his footballing ability either. In fact, I'm not the only one that thinks this anyway so perhaps you can refrain from your usual pathetic snideness like 'do you actually know what you are talking about' just because somebody doesn't share your view on something:

Same Delph that can't pick a pass to save his life?

I love Delph but highly overrated here just because he can skin someone every now and then and bang in an odd goal.

He struggled in the same role because he doesn't immediately know where his next pass is going to go. Spends far too much time on the ball thinking.

He just has no touch or finesse. He's great dribbling, but when it comes to passing he only hits it one speed.

He can't pass for shit. He's good on the ball and powering forward though.

Really needs to learn how to pass.

No where near England quality. His final ball is absolutely not good enough. His general passing can be extremely poor.

There are more but I just posted the first few I saw. As you can see, his lack of footballing ability has been picked up by others as well.

You stated he doesn't have on the ball ability, what exactly does that mean? It seems your applying it to everything. He can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't shoot and then you find a few random quotes and apply them to your thinking. I disagree that you believe he has no ability on the ball, if he had no ability on the ball the West Brom goal wouldn't have happened. But instead you say its isolated which I'm surprised as usually you would say it was luck. Delph is no way the finished article and nor have I ever stated that but you are doing a massive disservice by stating he has next to no ability on the ball.

Im just pleased he'a kept clear of injuries and finally had a run in the side. He's talent has shone through in this time and thats no coincidence, alot of sides were in for him when we signed him and we're finally seeing why. He was motm for about 9 games in a row earlier in the season which goes to show how good he's been in general. He's expressed a desire to stay at the club for the rest of his career and he looks like a good character to have about the club. Player of season so far for me with Mr. Vlaar!

• Like 1

Im just pleased he'a kept clear of injuries and finally had a run in the side. He's talent has shone through in this time and thats no coincidence, alot of sides were in for him when we signed him and we're finally seeing why. He was motm for about 9 games in a row earlier in the season which goes to show how good he's been in general. He's expressed a desire to stay at the club for the rest of his career and he looks like a good character to have about the club. Player of season so far for me with Mr. Vlaar!

But surely how can that happen with no ability on the ball. Those fans who voted him MOTM must be seeing things.

You stated he doesn't have on the ball ability, what exactly does that mean? It seems your applying it to everything. He can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't shoot and then you find a few random quotes and apply them to your thinking. I disagree that you believe he has no ability on the ball, if he had no ability on the ball the West Brom goal wouldn't have happened. But instead you say its isolated which I'm surprised as usually you would say it was luck. Delph is no way the finished article and nor have I ever stated that but you are doing a massive disservice by stating he has next to no ability on the ball.

Well firstly, I actually said that he isn't a particularly good footballer and doesn't possess much ability on the ball. Not that he has 'no ability on the ball' as you are trying to make out. As expected you neglect to mention where I outlined what I feel his strengths are and my belief that these make up for the deficiency in his footballing ability. Also, when did I even mentioning his dribbling ability? Or shooting ability for that matter?

No offense but it seems like you are just intentionally picking up the wrong end of the stick to make an arguement that isn't there.

He doesn't have much ability in the various ways of getting rid of the ball is the way id put it.

I'd just say that he doesn't offer a great deal in possession. Occasionally he'll dribble past a couple guys and this season he has scored a couple of great goals but that doesn't make him a good footballer in my book. He is very much an off-the-ball player first and foremost.

He doesn't have much ability in the various ways of getting rid of the ball is the way id put it.

I'd just say that he doesn't offer a great deal in possession. Occasionally he'll dribble past a couple guys and this season he has scored a couple of great goals but that doesn't make him a good footballer in my book. He is very much an off-the-ball player first and foremost.

I disagree, I think he's pretty good going past players and running with the ball, creating space, etc. his long shots have also been good, could've had one or two more goals from them, for instance hit the post at arsenal. His issue is when he has to pass mostly.

• Like 1

Well firstly, I actually said that he isn't a particularly good footballer and doesn't possess much ability on the ball. Not that he has 'no ability on the ball' as you are trying to make out. As expected you neglect to mention where I outlined what I feel his strengths are and my belief that these make up for the deficiency in his footballing ability. Also, when did I even mentioning his dribbling ability? Or shooting ability for that matter?

No offense but it seems like you are just intentionally picking up the wrong end of the stick to make an arguement that isn't there.

First its argument. Second I'm not picking up the wrong end of the stick, I'm challenging your view where you state Delph doesn't have ability on the ball. I disagree and state if that was the case the goal against West Brom wouldn't have happened, nor would the one against Rotherham. If he doesn't possess much ability on the ball, how do you expect him to dribble. If you had said KEA doesn't possess much ability on the ball I'd agree, but stating it for Delph is wide of the mark. Anyway I'll leave this now, as you know my opinion and I know yours.

Delph is very good at twisting out of a tight spot and beating a man or two. Relieves the pressure hugely when he can run it up the pitch and keep safe possession rather than just hoof it clear or play it back to a defender who'll do that. As we saw with West Ham though, he sometimes gets a little bit cocky and does it in the wrong areas of the pitch. Something which will come with experience, I'm sure that mistake will make him a better player, but in the short term it certainly seems to have damaged his confidence a little.

Second I'm not picking up the wrong end of the stick, I'm challenging your view where you state Delph doesn't have ability on the ball.

I'd say that interpreting my comments as me saying he literally has no ability on the ball and making out that I applied this to things like his dribbling and shooting ability is picking up the wrong end of the stick, wouldn't you?

Spot on to the above, he's actually very good when the ball is at his feet, however his final ball is lacking and his decision making.

How exactly can you be 'very good' with the ball at your feet when you have poor decision-making and passing ability?

Second I'm not picking up the wrong end of the stick, I'm challenging your view where you state Delph doesn't have ability on the ball.

I'd say that interpreting my comments as me saying he literally has no ability on the ball and making out that I applied this to things like his dribbling and shooting ability is picking up the wrong end of the stick, wouldn't you?

Spot on to the above, he's actually very good when the ball is at his feet, however his final ball is lacking and his decision making.

How exactly can you be 'very good' with the ball at your feet when you have poor decision-making and passing ability?

And you say I'm picking arguments. First of all you said in possession of the ball, that to me means as in you can give Delp the sodding thing and he doesn't panic with it, he can hold it and release it i.e. he can pass to Westwood, Bertrand. However I've never said he was the most perfect midfielder, he lacks in the final 3rd by playing that killer pass, however as shown against Norwich with the OG, he is working on that game. Anyway like I mentioned previously and i'll mention it again, I have my opinion and you have yours.

Delph is very good at twisting out of a tight spot and beating a man or two. Relieves the pressure hugely when he can run it up the pitch and keep safe possession rather than just hoof it clear or play it back to a defender who'll do that. As we saw with West Ham though, he sometimes gets a little bit cocky and does it in the wrong areas of the pitch. Something which will come with experience, I'm sure that mistake will make him a better player, but in the short term it certainly seems to have damaged his confidence a little.

But according to one poster he does most of his work off the ball.

Â