Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Whatever you think of Delph, he is capable of moments of true brilliance.

I remember one particular nutmeg he played when he started coming into form (West Brom game, I think), it was risky, but perfectly executed and set up a counter-attack.

Another pass today reminded me of that (sorries, forgetting the whens wheres and whos, but never mind).

His tackling and defending is also improving to the point where he's actually quite good at it.

• Like 1

Delph's a defensive player more than an attacking one, and if he sticks to that he'll make my comparison to Britton look very good. He had great pass accuracy today: 94%. That's Brittonesque.

Didn't create anything though - neither does Britton.

He did have one key pass in the game, a short pass to N'Zogbia who took a shot at goal from 35 yards.

Worked his bollocks off again today.  Always available to take the ball off the defense and his fellow midfielders. I felt for him a few times as the front three were at times very static offering him little in the way of forward options.

Love his attitude as well. You can see he cares. He was really pissed off with the chance he missed and even a couple of times with having to pass back to Guzan he showed his frustrations.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Delph's a defensive player more than an attacking one, and if he sticks to that he'll make my comparison to Britton look very good. He had great pass accuracy today: 94%. That's Brittonesque.

He did have one key pass in the game, a short pass to N'Zogbia who took a shot at goal from 35 yards.

I don't think Delph is anything like Britton. Westwood is more like Britton than Delph. Delph gets stuck in far more. 

I don't think Delph is anything like Britton. Westwood is more like Britton than Delph. Delph gets stuck in far more. 

In that respect he is better than Britton, although Britton is more of a tackler than I realised, he makes 1 per game, to Delph's 2 per game.

Westwood and Delph are both similar to Britton, and also different in their own ways.

Feel for him today. One bad bit of luck (no idea if Guzan called for the ball in time) and one poor miss on the stretch will detract from another fine performance.

Agree thought he did well.

His form is very pleasing at the moment.

I've never been a fan of him but in recent months he's finally starting to show what he can do. I'm starting to like him and I'm sure he'll continue to play a big part in the team.

That own goal was unlucky and nothing to say really. Maybe he should have scored with that chance he got or at least hit the target but not getting the three points yesterday wasn't down to him.

Has been an engine the last few weeks, but that miss is a bit of an indicator for me of why I don't think he'll ever fulfil his potential.

Makes some mad decisions and sometimes rushes when he doesn't need to and does when he doesn't.

I remember him making his debut at VP in a friendly against valencia was it?

Was top class all game, Shame we have only seen bits over the last few years.

Was it not Fiorentina in the Peace Cup? Might be wrong though.

I remember him making his debut at VP in a friendly against valencia was it?

Was top class all game, Shame we have only seen bits over the last few years.

Was it not Fiorentina in the Peace Cup? Might be wrong though.

Yeah it was Fiorentina but not in the Peace cup though, just a regular friendly at VP. We were all wetting ourselves because he just ran the show.

Edited by bose

I've never been a fan of him but in recent months he's finally starting to show what he can do. I'm starting to like him and I'm sure he'll continue to play a big part in the team.

That own goal was unlucky and nothing to say really. Maybe he should have scored with that chance he got or at least hit the target but not getting the three points yesterday wasn't down to him.

I don't think the own goal was unlucky. Poor positioning a woeful jump.

To be fair his marking was all wrong, A couple of yards back and he clears it no probs.

Still cant understand though why we always seem to put on of the smallest blokes on the line,

We even do it when bannan starts, One day lambert will learn them tactics on how to defend a corner.

God damn it, There is even videos on youtube showing you what to do if you are unsure and reading this lambert.

Edited by sutherland

rubbish. If anything he was blameless for the goal, these things happen, JPA scored a similar one for us. If he didnt jump and Berbatov scored a free header we be moaning about that.

If anything I think Guzan maybe should have stayed on his line as Baker was jsut behind Delph

• Like 1

To be fair his marking was all wrong, A couple of yards back and he clears it no probs.

Still cant understand though why we always seem to put on of the smallest blokes on the line,

We even do it when bannan starts, One day lambert will learn them tactics on how to defend a corner.

God damn it, There is even videos on youtube showing you what to do if you are unsure and reading this lambert.

Yes too far forward and didn't really get much leverage of the ground.

Putting small players on the line is generally what most managers do. Full backs normally. However, where Delph was, was wrong. Wasn't the line though  :blink:

Alan Hansen said Delph should have been stationed 3 yards further forward than he was.

Last week, Alan Hansen also said Remy's goal was better than Lowton's so he is a compromised source IMO. 

Disagree personally, we could put someone on the line with a bit of height such as Vlaar, Baker or Benteke but I'd rather have those players marking players in the box. Stick the 5ft somethings on the post and they can clear most chances from the line, make them mark Berbatov in the box and they'll get beat everytime.

Â