Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

We deserved the win but Westwood and Delph will not be the right partnership for every game.

For sure (this doesn't mean Bannan is the answer either though)

Not for every game. Not in CM. 

I though this tackling was particularly good yesterday - not always the most finely tuned aspect of his game in the past. Good to see him making crucial interventions without running the risk of a yellow card every time. He is growing as a footballer and quietly becoming essential to our midfield.

• Like 1

Keep your expectation in check! 

Delph can do a job but he's not a complete midfielder.

Paul Ince is the best comparison. Lots of drive, gets and gives it, terrier in the tackle. Real battler you want on your side. Not so good going forward.

Delph isn't a great offensive player.

In the lower leagues he could make driving runs, shoot and score, but in the Premier League it hasn't happened and unlikely to now. Standard of defending is much higher.

He's got 1 goal in 40 appearances, makes very few key passes, so no assists this season, and rarely makes a cross so unlikely to get them (only six in 18 appearances). Delph passes backwards 47% time (so not confident at spotting the attacking pass).

These are not bad stats for a defensive orientated midfielder. I just get the impression from reading some of the comments some fans expect him to do much more.

Con, I'm convinced you watch games on a Matrix style screen full of numbers and percentages.

"there's way too much information to decode. You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code"

Delph is the only player we have who runs through the centre of the park and takes players on, something we didnt have in the MON era and caused us to be awful at breaking down teams who in front at VP.

Obviously, he isnt always successful but its nice to see. However he isnt defensive enough to be in there as a stopper, isnt creative enough to be a playmaker, and doesnt score enough to be a threat for the oppo. In short, he doesnt bring enough to the team to be anything more than a solid squad player. He isnt starter material.

He isn't the most gifted player by any means and has definitely got his limitations...but I think he will become our new j milner. First name on the team sheet! I recall milner getting dogs abuse on hear early days :-)

Here*

He isn't the most gifted player by any means and has definitely got his limitations...but I think he will become our new j milner. First name on the team sheet! I recall milner getting dogs abuse on hear early days :-)

Here*

Now that really is big talk. I don't think there's any prospect of him becoming as good as Milner but I do think he is a 'box to box' type player who can win tackles in the pitch and break between the lines. He's quick and he has decent feet, although sometimes his first touch is a bit off. Andy Townsend is probably a better comparison but he needs to improve on the timing of his runs because I think he should score more goals.

I've mentioned this before, but it's easy to forget how little experience Delph has because he's been here for so long, but he's been so interrupted by injury.

But based purely on number of games played, he's barely got a full season under his belt.

• Like 1

Con, I'm convinced you watch games on a Matrix style screen full of numbers and percentages.

"there's way too much information to decode. You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code"

I'm convinced he watches them with a blind fold on!

I've been interested in Delph's progress since he signed (as have many). I've kept an eye on the fans opinion on here over the past few years. I think this season he has really begun to show his potential.

This is mostly because he has had his most consistently injury free season since his first. He seems to have consistently put in good performances and been an asset to the team. I think he's getting to the point where he will be first name on the team sheet before long.

Given a bit more time and experience I actually think he can progress further into the 'Milner role' - being more box to box, scoring and creating - remember his trade mark at Leeds was netting those long-shots from midfield. He starts doing that a bit more for us with his forward runs and he'll be the player we all hoped he'd be.

I also really like how passionate about the club and his football he seems to be. I think he'll be a faithful servant for years to come.

• Like 1

in fairness to Lambert and Delph I was a big critic and dont think he is top class yet. BUT he looks a lot different player than under any manager we had.

I remember start of last season he could barely pass 5 yards to his own player

• Like 1

I still have a lot of faith that Delph will be a very good player for us.

Stoke struggled to play the ball through him, and he also seemed to have the time to find a man on Saturday, which is the sign of a decent midfielder.

I think as the team develops more and more in the Lambert mould next season, Delph will still be holding his own in the first 11.

selling him (and bannan and ireland and el hmadi) and buying a more capable midfielder would save a whole lot of time and confusion as to whether he is any good or not :)

Have you watched him lately?

I've never really known what type of midfielder Delph is. He has many aspects of his games which he's okay at, but nothing he's brilliant. Though lately he's looking much better.

I think he should watch videos of Ramires. I think that's the player I'd like Delph try to emulate. Sit deep and then break with pace on the counter. I think he's got the athleticism for it, he just needs to push forward a bit more. 

I'd like us to play

------------------------  Sylla
------------Westwood  ---- Delph -----------

-Weimann ------------------------------Gabby
-----------------------Benteke

Have Sylla just holding as an Anchorman which will give the fullbacks a bit more license to go forward similar to Mikel for Chelsea, and Delph getting forward more. 

• Like 1

I think that midfield 3 is the one but I think Lambert favours Westwood as the deeper player controlling rhythm from further back, and Sylla's energetic style tackling from higher up the pitch.

Last week he played Weimann in the 'number 10' role with Delph just ahead of Westwood.

I hope he goes with your selection tomorrow.

Â