Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

It will be interesting to see where this will go. I do think he has gotten better as of late and I for one loves his drive and going in hard. On the other hand that has gotten him a lot of cards but it does show he will not stand down, he is willing to fight for this club. We need more of that, it`s one of the problems we had in the christmas period.

Not concerned about the bookings, as he's normally having to track back and make up for other's mistakes. Just want to see him get more goals. He's got a good shot on him but haven't seen it for a while, and with our lack of midfield goals it would help us out alot.

Needs to start when he comes back from suspension.

Delph, Sylla and Westwood as a midfield 3 for the rest of the season makes sense. As much as I'd like Bannan/N'Zogbia/Ireland to come good they just don't provide enough defensively and in terms of workrate.

I think we play better with a 4-2-3-1, as opposed to a 4-3-3.

I too would like to see a 3 of Delph, Westwood and Sylla, but unless Delph is in an advanced role. I think it's a bit too defensive.

I too would like to see a 3 of Delph, Westwood and Sylla, but unless Delph is in an advanced role. I think it's a bit too defensive.

I think thats what Delph is good at, driving into the space from a deeper position.. He was an attacking player at Leeds and that hasn't changed. He's not a defensive midfielder, never has been.

I think Delph, Sylla, and Westwood as a trio in the midfielder would do wonders. Sylla works hard and can actually put in a tackle whilst giving us some height in the midfield. Doesn't hurt that he has a good touch on him and he displayed it numerous times at Reading by providing a one touch, simple pass to an open Villa player. Westwood is free to pass it around and can provide some more key passes like the one to Weimann for the Benteke goal. Delph can drive forward with the ball and get involved in the attack.

It doesn't hurt that all three of them have a high work rate and can provide a lot defensively while giving us the midfielders that can retain possession. I don't know if PL would do it, but I'd like to see it happen.

• Like 2

He's the new Reo-Coker, with a touch extra.

He has lead feet, but he's reasonably skilful at times. He's brave and ambitious, but often too much. Great engine, occasionally headless. Has a wicked shot on him too which I'd like to see more of.

I like him because I liked Reo-Coker. I've a feeling no matter how good his form some will never see it or appreciate it. There's nowt wrong with that, everyone has their own opinion on how the game should be played.

In mine, there's always room for a Delph up to a certain level. Which includes the level we're at.

He's proven me wrong anyway.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I suppose Delph could make it as an attacking midfielder but it's a bit of a leap of faith when we could persist with players like N'Zogbia who have a lot more technical ability.

I wonder if Delph's future could be at left-back. I've seen him play there and given the position has been such a disaster this year it could be worth giving him a go. He has a high work rate and an aggressive streak which would be valuable at full back.

I think Delph, Sylla, and Westwood as a trio in the midfielder would do wonders. Sylla works hard and can actually put in a tackle whilst giving us some height in the midfield. Doesn't hurt that he has a good touch on him and he displayed it numerous times at Reading by providing a one touch, simple pass to an open Villa player. Westwood is free to pass it around and can provide some more key passes like the one to Weimann for the Benteke goal. Delph can drive forward with the ball and get involved in the attack.

It doesn't hurt that all three of them have a high work rate and can provide a lot defensively while giving us the midfielders that can retain possession. I don't know if PL would do it, but I'd like to see it happen.

Yes I agree. I'd like to see those three as a trio for the rest of the season. It would provide a shield for the defence which we desperately need and like you say it could free up Westwood a bit more, I'd like to see him a bit further forward as he has the vision to make penetrating passes.

I think thats what Delph is good at, driving into the space from a deeper position.. He was an attacking player at Leeds and that hasn't changed. He's not a defensive midfielder, never has been.

Though he was an attacking player at Leeds, if I remember correctly, he was played as a central midfielder and a left midfielder. I'd love to see him behind a striker, or in an advanced CM position, but he does lack a quality first touch that is really needed in that position.

I'm a big fan of Weimann, but I think when we are playing away especially at top teams we need to offer our defence more protection, so I would go with the below.

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Clark -- Baker

westwood - sylla - delph

Zog -- Gabby

Benteke

Delph's passing is on a level that Reo Coker isn't even aware exists.

Agree.

I think the technical side of his game is much better than NRC.

Indeed. That was the "extra" I was referring to. 

A more technically gifted, if still a little lead footed, NRC is an asset to a club like ours. 

Our best midfielder for me. Been very impressed with him recently.

You've got to be kidding. He kicks people and slows the game down. Not what we want when we are chasing wins. I hope that winning without him means he'll be on the bench for the rest of the season. He should be coming on to close out games when we are ahead.

Compare Delph's game with our other CMs... Who is better?

He gets stuck in, he is keeping the ball well, his passing has been good and he has began driving forwards more and more. If he incorporated some goals into his game and was a bit more direct I think he would be a really good payer.

• Like 1

Aside from the injuries that he's had I think there's one main problem with Delph's Villa career - the coaching that he received when he came and the role he was asked to play.

At Leeds he was a definite box-to-box player, often spending time on the left wing and attacking the opposition. It seems that from the first moment here that he was asked to be a defensive midfielder.

I think that was a massive change to his game and to his natural inclination to have a bit of a surge. I'm assuming being in a midfield 3 and being given a bit extra freedom by Lambert has meant that he is slowly getting back to his old mentality and his natural game.

I like Delph and think that if he can put an injury-free run together he could be part of a very effective midfield unit. I think someone mentioned the other day that he has only play 38 games for us...that's only a season's worth so his development in that sense seems to be bubbling along quite nicely,

Â