Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I doubt he took any particular pleasure in seeing us go down. I'd hope and think that he's a bigger man than that. 

I would like to think that he took no pleasure in it as well but the way he left us has led me to doubt that he was anything other than indifferent about it and to my knowledge he has said nothing conciliatory about us since he left.    

Edited by John

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I wonder if he could take it back, would he?  The flip side to all of the above is the no doubt enormous wage and the CL experiences he has had a taste of.  But you're right that as of now his prospects of playing any football at all are slim, and consequently of picking up any medals along the way.  He'll no doubt see his team-mates pick up the odd one here and there.  I do feel bad for him a bit.  I know I shouldn't.  But I don't think what he did was outrageous in modern football.  Yes he made a balls of his U-turn but I think he did it initially for the right reasons and then gave his head a wobble and did what he felt was right for his career.  Hindsight eh?

I actually had no problem with the move either though it's pretty much panned out how I expect....he's hardly played.

What hacked me off more than anything was him changing his mind about 500 times in a week....I'm staying....nah I'm going...hang on a second I'm captain and I love the club...can you book that medical at Alderley Edge private hospital...no second thoughts maybe not....what time's the medical again.

Pretty much all in 7 days....it reminds me of when Gerrard was constantly u-turning over a move to Chelsea. If he'd finally signed for them he would never have been allowed to set foot on Merseyside again.

Couldn't care less about Delph now....he'll probably move to somewhere like Stoke or West Ham in January. Probably his level.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Least he'll have his money and a collection of medals he contributed nothing to, to look back on when he leaves City

Just the league cup. I doubt he'll be there to collect anything they win in May.

He could've won that here if we'd actually turned up for the Bradford first leg.

• 2 years later...

He came across like a right spanner from what I watched of the Amazon documentary.

they're losing a game at half time and he comes into the changing room riled up shouting about how they’re not getting “the basics of football” right. 

Fabian, you’re playing at the top end of European football under one of the greatest managers, you need to appreciate you’re in the squad because you fill a home grown slot and can fill in adequately in a couple of positions, leave the tactical analysis for others.

5 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

He came across like a right spanner from what I watched of the Amazon documentary.

they're losing a game at half time and he comes into the changing room riled up shouting about how they’re not getting “the basics of football” right. 

Fabian, you’re playing at the top end of European football under one of the greatest managers, you need to appreciate you’re in the squad because you fill a home grown slot and can fill in adequately in a couple of positions, leave the tactical analysis for others.

its the utd game when they were 2-0 up should have won the league and they blew it

pep says his bit, kompany says his bit and then delph chirps up

"its simple, we stopped **** running, basics, basics" in his horrible accent

That bit was a bit stupid, but I actually thought he came across very well in that documentary.

He seems a lot more valued than I thought he was, although that may have been some favourable editing. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Funny how being English at City has that effect.

He made 21 starts last season in the league. Sergio Aguero only made 22.

That's more than just being there to make up the numbers.

Granted he got a chance because they had fullback injuries, but he did a good job for them in that position when he got his chance.

We all hate him, but I think we underestimate how valued he is there. he'll never be a big star for them, but he's not just making up the numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He made 21 starts last season in the league. Sergio Aguero only made 22.

That's more than just being there to make up the numbers.

Granted he got a chance because they had fullback injuries, but he did a good job for them in that position when he got his chance.

We all hate him, but I think we underestimate how valued he is there. he'll never be a big star for them, but he's not just making up the numbers. 

I don’t disagree but he definitely has an elevated value to City due to his passport.

Really don't think this stat is much of a critique. Despite extensive injury problems in his first season, and some of the most intense competition for places anywhere in world football, he's played about 40% of their league games, including the lion's share of the best season in their history. 

Much as I hate to say it, I think that's pretty good to be honest. 

• 1 year later...

The Star (I know) says he's off to Leeds.

Just when you'd forgotten how much you dislike the guy, he gives you a reason to remember. 

On the plus side, seeing his face when Leeds get relegated would put the cherry on top of a slice of tasty schadenfreude.

Â