Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

You don't see this as a larger problem that city, while of course not alone, has exacerbated? You have poached our captain for nothing. And it is because of money (not just the money he will get but the money that buys trophies. And yes, money is the single biggest factor of success in this league).

Money was the single biggest factor of success in the league a long, long time before we were taken over or even Chelsea. It's no coincidence that a "Big Four" has developed over the last 30 years, because as your rightly point out, if your best player has a chance to join a title winning team which one will he join? And if two teams come up against each other and one has the vastly superior team, then who is more likely to win? And winning gives you more money than taking part.

Vicious cycle and little to do with us in terms of causation.

I think we're taking advantage of it but after sat there watching our Academy lads be sold out for richer clubs for quite a few years then my acceptance that this is a City based problem isn't exactly high.

I said "while not alone". I'm perfectly aware of the history. But it's simple for me: it's anticompetitive and your acknowledgement of that and of your I'll will to having your Academy products sold in the past stands in stark contrast to your attitude here with respect to Delph. And just for the record, you do admit that city has made the situation worse, right? (I mean they haven't improved parity)

I had a lot of respect for Delph when when he signed a new contract  - it gave the club a real boost when we needed it. He didn't need to sign so the £8m is also a real boost and quite unselfish of him. 

When it looked like he was leaving last week, I was obviously disappointed, but could understand. I think he'll risk his Euro's spot, but that's for him to worry about.

However, since then he has totally cocked up. Making bold statements about loyalty, then doing this u-turn - come on Fabian, know you're own mind! If he'd have gone last week he'd have disappointed Villa fans, but many will have begrudgingly understood. Now though he will be universally hated and derided by Villa fans and have lost the respect of many other football fans all around the world. Massive PR disaster to turn yourself into a hate figure. can't wait to hear his comments and those of Villa, Tim and the players. Lots more to run on this one I think!

Anyway, I think as a person he was a good captain on the field, but as a footballer he is very much replaceable IMO - in fact I've personally never really rated him that much and was only coming round to him last season as he sometimes single-handedly provided the forward impetus we needed in a dire Lambert managed team. It's going to be a very different Villa team next season, which I'm quite excited about.

• Like 1

The anger today is not because we are losing a good player, but because if this is true (which it looks like it is), he's shown himself to be a real scumbag. There was no need for him to make a statement last week, he's made a massive error by doing that if he wasn't 100% certain that he was going to stay.

I think that at that point for whatever reason when he backed out then he was dead set on being a Villan player so let your communications team print those words. Now they lookl to haunt him but if his career is to take the direction that he hopes then you'd imagine time will forget it.

On your other point, he's probably not good enough play against a firing on all cylinders Barca. But he probably IS good enough to play against 16 of the 20 teams in the PL with no problem at all which will allow other players to rest for the Barcas rather than 2 games in 5 days. And if he performs well enough then he can earn his spot in the first team. The idea that he's never going to play when we've got Lampard getting 30 games for us last year is a little unrealistic.

I said this on our forum but if I was a Villa fan I'd be absolutely outright fuming at whoever's decision it was to stick a £8m clause in there during a time where we were looking at James McCarthy for potentially £25m or Barkley for potentially £40m. He's singlehandedly cost you probably £10m-£15m which is just negligent

But this is what I'm saying - you think he's good enough to play against everyone other than the top 4 and the elite of Europe - thats not the case. He has never consistently played well against the Stokes, Evertons, Southamptons etc. He is a mid-table player, he's not good enough for a top 6 club. But you will see this soon enough. He may improve though playing with better players.

I'm not fuming at all with the club for the £8m clause. Delph could easily have run down his contract and gone for nothing this summer, and the club manager to get him to sign a new deal and the club received £8m as a result. And if you are valuing Delph at somewhere between £18-23m, you are crazy. He is a £12-15m player - if there was no clause and you had bid that much, no Villa fan would have said we had been conned. The fact you are looking at McCarthy for £25m is more a reflection on you than us.

• Like 2

He has been part of the worst Villa midfield I have ever seen. I am actually looking forward to having a brand new midfield. If we are able to sign the players we are being linked with we will be a much better team.

• Like 4

Watching the Tim Sherwood video above.. I wasn't all that annoyed or angry before, but he's made Sherwood and everyone look like a complete and utter mug. When I heard Sherwood say "It shows the measure of the man really, to stay" knowing what we know now I wanted to hit something.. 

Richards and Barry literally played almost every game in the first title winning season. One was injured and the other didn't even play for us any more in the second. Milner played more games for City than he did for Villa and regularly topped 35+ and then 45+ games.

Not sure your experience playing for your local cricket team is really that comparable to being a world class athlete playing in one of the best leagues in the world in probably the most competitive sport on the planet.

Do you see Delph getting anywhere near that much playing time?

He's a decent player, and certainly good for us, but I can't see him being first choice at Man City. He's no Jimmy Milner.

I think in a 60 game season then he can hope for 30 appearances or so. We do opften lack a bit of energy in midfield and even Lampard could get that for us last year despite being pretty terrible past Novemberish. We're weak in the centre mid spots so he has as good a chance as any.

It's a bit like John O'Shea at United. Did he expect to play every game? No probably not but it was more fulfilling to be part of a medium sized part of a winning squad that collects medals than a big part of a squad that doesn't.

Again, I'll ask: is what is happening here (as a microcosm) good for football?

My response to this would be: "No".

However, equally, there were a vast, vast number of fans on here wanting a hugely rich owner to come in and spend loads on Aston Villa when the takeover rumours were flying around.

It's always good if you're at the top.

True enough. But having a little self-awareness would go a long way. Like: "Yeah, I hate that this is an anti competitive league and villa's rich owners are making it worse"

Oh well, sky rolling video footage of him leaving the same place he went in...wearing the same clothes et all.

Whilst I maintain that he isn't really anything special for man city, and he might come to regret it...it's a massive hole for Villa and I now put our kitty in the red, £8m will not buy another player in what we have at the Villa in Delph.

Not good news.

I said this on our forum but if I was a Villa fan I'd be absolutely outright fuming at whoever's decision it was to stick a £8m clause in there during a time where we were looking at James McCarthy for potentially £25m or Barkley for potentially £40m. He's singlehandedly cost you probably £10m-£15m which is just negligent

Only it isn't given that if he hadn't signed it you could have signed him on a Bosman this summer already.

Getting him to sign the deal has earned us £8m not cost us £10m-£15m.

So its like you say, only completely the opposite.

Would he not have signed at £9m? What about £8.5m?

And if he's earnt you £8m then it's handshakes all round, job well done and thanks for the memories Delph isn't it? He's done you a favour here by signing that deal and letting himself be bought for £8m rather than walking for free like Milner did for us (to a potential rival, who we congratulated, thanked him for his time and put up nice videos of him on the OS).

If that is, he's earnt you £8m as you say

Perhaps, but then it would have cost us £0.5m or £1m wouldn't it not the £10-£15m you were blathering on about a moment ago.

You clearing didn't have a bloody clue what you were talking about.

And no, he hasn't earnt us £8m given we paid £6m for him.

Your grasp of football knowledge and maths seem to be on par.

Excellent, so you've basically agreed with me that £8m was an arbitary limit and not the exact breaking point of the contract. So we agree that he can move on this, I suggest that a competent negotiator probably could have foreseen this eventuality.

It doesn't matter that you paid £6m of him because he signed a new deal in 2011 and then again six months ago which means he was worth on your book somewhere in the region of about £200k, so you've actually made a £7.8m profit. Maybe amortisation and value is only something that us incompetent mathematicians understand though?

Only it isn't given that if he hadn't signed it you could have signed him on a Bosman this summer already.

And if he's earnt you £8m then it's handshakes all round, job well done and thanks for the memories Delph isn't it? He's done you a favour here by signing that deal and letting himself be bought for £8m rather than walking for free like Milner did for us (to a potential rival, who we congratulated, thanked him for his time and put up nice videos of him on the OS).

Perhaps, but then it would have cost us £0.5m or £1m wouldn't it not the £10-£15m you were blathering on about a moment ago.

Excellent, so you've basically agreed with me that £8m was an arbitary limit and not the exact breaking point of the contract. So we agree that he can move on this, I suggest that a competent negotiator probably could have foreseen this eventuality.

It doesn't matter that you paid £6m of him because he signed a new deal in 2011 and then again six months ago which means he was worth on your book somewhere in the region of about £200k, so you've actually made a £7.8m profit. Maybe amortisation and value is only something that us incompetent mathematicians understand though?

I have never witnessed someone try so hard to appear intelligent ..and fail so miserably.

Agreed with you? I'm having to tell you the facts you are making it up as you go along :)

• Like 1

Â