Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

This. No hard feelings about going to city. But don't come out and say the above.

Obviously that's what he thought at the time and the situation changed. Or more likely what he was told to say by some PR guru or club press officer. 

I've no idea why fans place any importance on player or manager interviews. They are all BS cliches. Footballers are employees, they usually say what they are supposed to say but there's no loyalty, love for the club, kiss the badge, best fans in the world, etc.. It's a job to them, their profession. If they get a better job somewhere else they leave, same as me or you. Why get upset when one leaves for more money or chance to win something. You'd do the exact same thing in their shoes. 

Edited by villa89

On 27/09/2022 at 21:29, villa89 said:

I wasnt angry at all when he left, just like when Jack left. People just aren't realistic, when city come along treble your wages and offer you the chance to win titles EVERY player would leave. It's a no brainer. Fans like to think they would be loyal in the same situation but they wouldn't be, they'd be professional. 

It wasn't that for me. The timeline that summer was Man. City came in for him, he was going to leave and then suddenly out of nowhere there was video on club site that had him saying he was staying and think "this is my club" was used as the line. It's probably still up somewhere in the Internet.

So given Benteke had already left that was the summer boost....and then a week later he again changed his mind and finally left.

I know there's endless transfer sagas when footballers change their minds but that was ridiculous and why he got a poorer reception at VP than others have. 

Edit: Here we are, actually released a statement:

Delph says he's not leaving Aston Villa for Man City - ITV News

I'm aware there has been intense media speculation surrounding my future in the last 24 hours and I want to set the record straight.

I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club.

– FABIAN DELPH

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Obviously that's what he thought at the time and the situation changed. Or more likely what he was told to say by some PR guru or club press officer. 

I've no idea why fans place any importance on player or manager interviews. They are all BS cliches. Footballers are employees, they usually say what they are supposed to say but there's no loyalty, love for the club, kiss the badge, best fans in the world, etc.. It's a job to them, their profession. If they get a better job somewhere else they leave, same as me or you. Why get upset when one leaves for more money or chance to win something. You'd do the exact same thing in their shoes. 

He said it a week before leaving though, its not like Grealish who said it about a year ago before he left

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

I work in recruitment - I see a 'Delph' situation on daily basis. I am not surprised by it. In fact, I have seen much worse. 

But there are ways of going about how you leave. In my opinion, Delph hasn't done it well. 

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Played about 9 games on average. World class move.

He said he played 2 games in the Championship. Looking at Wiki, seems right too.

Tim Sherwood making him out starting CB and captain is probably one of the dumbest Villa decisions I can remember. Then he made Lescott his partner. We were always getting relegated weren't we?

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting nugget from Micah Richards about the Delph situation. Sounds like he literally changed his mind the night before he signed for City.

My dad is a carpenter and spent a couple of months fitting out all new bedrooms in Delph's house before he left so I would have put mega money on him stopping as it was all kitted out to his spec etc.

As said before the timeline was this.

Jan 2015

Six months left on his deal with expectation he was leaving on a free. He'd been with us six years at that point and we were s*** at the time while he was making England squad so fair enough.

He signs a new deal surprisingly and then does a big screen message at half time in a game where he stated "this is my club."

July 2015

Fallout of cup final with Vlaar and Benteke leaving. Man. City come in for him, revealed new contract has a release clause of 8m and he's torn but generally accepted he'll leave.

A few days later he communicates to the club he wants to stay and another video is released:

Fabian Delph staying at Aston Villa despite Man City interest | Football News | Sky Sports

Captain Fabian Delph has revealed he will not be leaving Aston Villa, following interest from Manchester City.

It was understood that Delph had been in talks with Manuel Pellegrini's side over an £8m move, but he will now be staying put.

In a statement on the Aston Villa website, the midfielder said: "I'm aware there has been intense media speculation surrounding my future in the last 24 hours and I want to set the record straight.

"I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club."

That was on July 12th so we were well into pre season then. Can remember Sherwood doing an interview after that news and he was ecstatic so that's where I have sympathy with way it ended for Sherwood as he was made to look a mug by that.

Anyway think it was exactly a week later that Delph had a massive u turn, he hadn't joined up with us in pre season for some reason and he was pictured going into a private hospital in the north west to take his Man. City medical and all hell broke loose afterwards.

I remember I was in a pub having a drink with SSN on and it came up with breaking news he was having a medical at Man. City and I just was stuck looking at the screen in total shock for about five minutes.

• Like 3

Â