Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Looks to have beefed up a bit as well. Absolutely vital if you ask me.

For the way he plays, yes vital. He couldn't keep going into tackles like a freight train weighing what he did and expect to go more than 2 or 3 games without damaging something.

I'm not an expert. But I think this is somewhat of a fallacy. Being light means it's easier for people to knock you off the ball but I don't think it means you're more injury prone.

I think it has it's advantages too though, being more agile for one. But you need the right balance of strength and agility to play in central midfield and Delph has been too light for quite a while.

He's a good player in the right circumstances, and that requires him to be injury free, which we haven't seen for so long it seems unlikely to ever happen. Let's hope it happens this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Some decent quotes from Delph via Evening Mail:

“The signings that we’ve made so far have definitely strengthened the squad and it’s probably the best pre-season I’ve been involved in,” said Delph.

“I’m only young but it’s the best one I’ve been in so far and everybody seems to be fired up.

“The way we set up to play football from the back to the front through the middle is really good and I think it will set us in stead for the start of the season.

“Defensively we’ve always been strong, but last season was a bit difficult for us.

“We’ve set out a different way. It’s always better to be working hard with the ball rather than without it.

“It seems a lot easier when you’ve got the ball and we’re all happy and we’re all raring to go.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/08/08/aston-villa-fabian-delph-s-words-of-support-for-injured-pal-gabby-agbonlahor-97319-31574439/2/#ixzz22wBrrO00

Anyone who been to the pre-season games care to say how he's shaping up? He looked a real talent initially. Great first touch, confident with the ball.

Crazy his thread is only in 100's with Makouns nearly 300 pages.

I think the ultimate thing with Delph has been his injuries, they've hampered in to such a degree I feel I've seen him full of confidence and playing to his full potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth saying amid everyone's doom and gloom and relegation chatter, he was excellent yesterday. did his job perfectly I thought. Sat on top of the back four and protected well , got the ball to players like Ireland and Karim, and a few occasions had good runs going forward. Was very surprised and pleased with him, long may it continue.

Delph and Kea are too similar so we cant be playing both of them together. They both sat way to deep to create any chances. Yes they passed very well and maintained possession but that got us no where. Neither were doing much going forward causing Ireland to play deeper causing there to be a huge gap for Bent. We need Bannan or a box to box mid who will play further up the pitch. Play 2 mids who sit back didn't go well for us.

Delph and Kea are too similar so we cant be playing both of them together. They both sat way to deep to create any chances. Yes they passed very well and maintained possession but that got us no where. Neither were doing much going forward causing Ireland to play deeper causing there to be a huge gap for Bent. We need Bannan or a box to box mid who will play further up the pitch. Play 2 mids who sit back didn't go well for us.

yeah most of their passing was neat and tidy but is was all on the halfway line

I am one of his biggest critics but credit where its due he looked lively on saturday. would like to see him further forward as a couple of times he showed a good turn of pace and went past people but he was in his own half

I am one of his biggest critics but credit where its due he looked lively on saturday. would like to see him further forward as a couple of times he showed a good turn of pace and went past people but he was in his own half

I don't think we have another midfield player who can burst past the opposition like Delph.

A positive from the game and hope he keeps his place on Saturday.

For me he was by far the best midfielder for Villa on Saturday he tried everything to push the team on but ultimately it came to nothing. I wonder if PL will play both Delph and KEA together again as they seemed to be doing the same job.

My gut feeling is no as (if correct) I think KEA will get the nod over Delph which is a shame as I think he deserves a run.

I like the idea of possession, passing football. It needs a decent winger and someone to provide the killer pass for Bent. It must be nice for the midfielders to end the game without stiff necks caused by howitzer shells looping over their heads.

Â