Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

• 2 weeks later...

Was made captain at the weekend in the absence of Bent, surely a sign he's in Lamberts plans, or was it a come on so step up to the plate kick up the arse?

Nothing much has been said about him being captain against the Fire. I'm a firm believer Delph has what it takes to be a first choice reliable good performer for us, and potentially captain material.

Maybe I'm different but I still believe that player is in there still and it just needs to be brought out of him again. After his bad luck with injuries and the changing of management he hasn't developed as we'd all hoped by this stage, but he still has the potential to fix his game and be a good player for us IMO. PL must see something in him to give him the armband, now its down to Delph where he goes from here.

Did you watch the game, he was utter shite, still reckless challenges, he's lost a yard of pace, moulding himself into a DM rather than a player we thought he was!

I have stated many times that Delph's best position would eventually be DM in the same mould as say a Paul Ince. Whether he will prove good enough in that position to be a Premiership midfielder is questionable!

I watched the first half of the game and I dont think he was shite at all. In fact he (along with Gardner and Ireland) was bossing it.

The challenges are still an issue. He needs to address that but he's a good player, he has always been a good player who just had terrible luck with injuries.

I dont know if lady luck is going to give him a break from injuries so he can have a proper spell to prove himself or whether Lambert really rates him but I'm a fan. I love his tenacity, his attitude and (athis best) his use of the ball. I also think he could be the ideal foil for El Ahmadi and Ireland.

I definitely have't written him off and hopefully he stays injury free. Although he does need to take his chance when/if he gets it. He hasn't performed too well but I've seen enough to realise there is potentially a good player there.

One of the probems is he's one of those players whose natural position doesn't really exist in most teams. Probably the best example i could give is Steven Pienaar, he's not a winger or central midfielder or plays in the the hole, so he will need to adapt, whether a defensive midfielder is the way about it I'm not so sure.

Just hoping it will be an extra player for us this season, but in reality who knows?

His supposedly good attack is non existent. He was an attacking midfielder? He can't control or pass the ball. Yeah he had scored a lot of long shots... In lower divisions. Hes not upto this level imo.

To say he can't pass a ball is absolute nonsense. He's one of the best at the club.

And he's never been an attacking midfielder but a box to box type. A lot of his goals at Leeds were started from deep.

To say he can't pass a ball is absolute nonsense. He's one of the best at the club.

did you watch any of his games last season? was outshone by Bannan who gets a lot of stick on here but has shown a lot more for 1st team

did you watch any of his games last season? was outshone by Bannan who gets a lot of stick on here but has shown a lot more for 1st team

What, all those games he played last season when he was out injured for most of it? Sober up mate.

Delph started well (arguably our best player in the first few games, not that its saying much) but then had injury problems for the rest of the season. I like Bannan too for the record and dont give him stick. They're different players though. Bannan isn't going to get stuck in and you cant rely on him to break up play and protect the back four. Delph can do that and support an attack. They're both great passers and I'd like to keep both in the squad. But Delph offers more all round, no question.

The only thing holding Delph back is his injury record which, sadly, might become a terminal issue in regards to his career. At least at Villa.

He has the ability in my opinion. Easily.

For his first few seasons with us, I kept saying that his best ability was his dribbling skills. He had the knack of dribbling around players (Premier League, may I add!) with the ball barely leaving his foot.

I always thought his best position would have been the ACM/ in-the-hole role, just because of his dribbling ability.

I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that his 'good attack' is non existent. It's there, it just hasn't been seen consistently for a long while.

Yeah he was good, if a little bit rusty. His passing wasn't as crisp as say Ireland or Bannan, but it's something that can easily be worked on. Also, he's gotten better at timing his tackles as well. All in all, a good player to have in the squad.

For his first few seasons with us, I kept saying that his best ability was his dribbling skills. He had the knack of dribbling around players (Premier League, may I add!) with the ball barely leaving his foot.

Very much agree, he is extremely agile and has great balance meaning he can dribble with ease.

He seems to have extra time on the ball. I think thats a mark of a good player. Gary Gardner is similar and another player who'll compliment Delph and the likes of El Ahmadi and Ireland.

For Lambert's philosophy (as it seems to be developing) to work we need players who can move the ball around comfortably and accurately. But for that to truly work you need players of like mind otherwise it just ends up with the oppostion too quickly. It doesn't matter that it was a friendly against modest oppostion, the game against Chicago showed the intent. Get the ball, move it on, show for the ball, get the ball, move it on..etc. It's ideal for Delph.

Under MON and McLeish we passed it a couple of times and then gave it away. There was little desire or appetite for possession and apparently little work done in training to that end. Rarely did we have even parity with any team (even some of the poorer ones) in terms of possession.

Thus not ideal for players like Delph, Bannan and Gardner. Therefore, if he remains fit, I can only see Delph being very useful.

I'm still not too sure, a few times yesterday I saw him run with the ball not pass it quickly enough and then get robbed. I also saw some of his passes going well wide of the mark. Maybe still rusty? I'll give him more time.

Â