Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

You're being ridiculously unfair on a player who, until last season, never had a pre longed run in the run. Lo and behold, he gets a run and is one of our best players in the run in and one of, if not, the best player on the pitch in a opening day win AT arsenal.

Being a devils advocate is fine, but basing a whole forum persona on that concept is a tad odd.

went to the Man City game with a couple of football mates who kinda follow Villa but have stronger interests in other sides, they were all really surprised and impressed by Delph and he has been not quite at that level but consistent ever since really. if he doesn't get injured then he could be massive for us this season and for me, he is the first name in midfield ahead of Westwood, Sylla, El Ahmadi and others

Do you actually consider anyone to be good enough?

I'm the father and Aston Villa is my daughter so no player is good enough for my child.

great analogy

No it's not, it's terrible.

We're a collective, we ARE the club. It's not a separate entity. So if it's good enough for us it's good enough full stop.

Delph is good enough.

Really like watching him play I've been a big advocate of Delph for a long time, potentially our best midfielder he came here as a marauding attacking midfielder and we need to see a bit more of that. Houllier had him down as one of the best passers in the club, the closest thing to a good playmaker we had at the club back then but his passing is now one of those areas that lets him down like against Arsenal.

However, he needs to bulk up a bit in my opinion with the formation we are likely to be playing. I think with our attacking abilities 4-2-3-1 or some variation of that will be our formation all season, be it 4-3-3 with an AM or whatever, the crux of it will be either a 2 man midfield or a flat 3.

In that 2 man midfield you would assume Delph and Westwood are first choice. Theres not a lot of strength there, I also think, with his natural style or marauding forwards and how he has developed his game to sit deeper over the past few seasons, if we got a bit stronger he could be similar to a poor-mans Yaya Toure in style. Picking up the ball and driving forwards to make space for the likes of Benteke to get into could be huge for us, it's what he did vs Arsenal already but against some more physical teams he will need to be stronger to have a similar effect.

Â