Cannabis

Troglodyte

Used to be into quite a lot when i was of the age of 14 - 20... now 23 and wouldnt touch the stuff now. It's really not good for you and shouldnt be legalised... still have loads of mates who continue to smoke it, they have no desire or ambition to do anything with their lives... quite content with just an average life of getting stoned. To legalise it would do more damage then good IMO.

I can't think of anything worse than legalizing cannibis, instead of a fifth of our nation smelling like cat piss and wasting there lives on the sofa it'd be around half. Championed by the under class, i'd much rather they'd move on to Crack already and all OD on the stuff.

Tried it and didn't see the facination in it, Monging out is great isn't it?!?

What's wrong with wasting your life on the sofa? Better than being out busting a gut for the man

There was a thread like this on another forum I go on, was pretty big and loads of valid arguments for and against legalizing it.

I personally think it should be legalized! There is so many reasons why it shouldnt be illegal, I mean its a natural plant, why should the government be able to stop us using something that is natural? If alcohol can be legal then I cant see why cannabis cant, alcohol causes health problems, problems for the community, added strain on the nhs etc etc. I know that cannabis use does not come without its downsides, the possibilty that it induces psychosis being the main one. But cigarettes cause throat and lung cancer, which are killers! Yet fags are still legal? Makes no sense.

If it were to be legalized then the money from taxes could be put towards mental heath care and research, police time could be spent elsewhere other than stopping people for smoking a j, they could put money and resources towards fighting other drugs. I'm seeing at least 1 report a week of a cannabis farm bust, and I'm sure there are more than what is being reported in the local and national media. How much time and money is spent on finding these factories? You have the helicopter flying round with detecting high levels of heat, then you have further surveillance on the property and then finally the actual bust. Not to mention time at teh police station, all teh paperwork and court time etc. And i bet theres a fair few occasions where all they find is a handful of plants in an attic grown by some guy who wants a bit of decent smoke for himself, rather than buying the rubbish contaminated stuff that most of the dealers are selling.

Legalizing would also reduce the amount of contaminated stuff thats about atm, and who knows what the long term effects of smoking weed thats sprayed with silicona and glass beads!

Surely all this time and money could be spent on stopping the harder drugs, and heliping with the rehabillitation of the harder drug users? Money could be spent on properly educating the public and children too, rather than labelling weed as evil and shouldnt be touched, which Im sure spurs kids on to try it, they could educate on the proper use and side effects and let people decide for themselves whether they want to try it.

And the people that are saying that if its legalized then the country will turn into a nation of munchie eating pot heads, dont be rediculous! Have you been to holland? Yeah like another poster said there would be a binging period purely beacuse its new, and Im sure there would be more people wanting to try it just because they can. But to assume that everyone will be living in a stoned haze is just naive. Currently if people want to smoke weed, then the majority can get hold of it very easily, whether somebody you know sells or through a friend of a friend, people already make the decision whether they want to smoke it or not, much the same as fags, they are legal yet I dont see half the population standing outside pubs stinking like an ash tray. People make their own decisions, and so should be allowed to decide whether they want to smoke cannabis or not, the government shouldnt be stopping them.

I can't think of anything worse than legalizing cannibis, instead of a fifth of our nation smelling like cat piss and wasting there lives on the sofa it'd be around half. Championed by the under class, i'd much rather they'd move on to Crack already and all OD on the stuff.

Yep smiley-rolleyes007.gif

Let me see , I have a Bachelors degree in Electrical engineering , I work for a good pay at a well known multinational IT company. I had lots of desire and motivation the last time I checked.

I smoke weed most weekends , more often than not. I do not smell like cat piss at all , most times I smell like Davidoff Cool Water or have a natural , HUMAN smell , you see, nothing remotely like feline urine.

'Under class' ? :lol:

• Like 1

Yep smiley-rolleyes007.gif

Let me see , I have a Bachelors degree in Electrical engineering , I work for a good pay at a well known multinational IT company. I had lots of desire and motivation the last time I checked.

I smoke weed most weekends , more often than not. I do not smell like cat piss at all , most times I smell like Davidoff Cool Water or have a natural , HUMAN smell , you see, nothing remotely like feline urine.

'Under class' ? :lol:

There are obviously exceptions to the rule, it depends on the person, some people can smoke it and still lead a good life, for example one of my best friends smokes 3-4 joints a every night of the week yet is a successful salesman, earning a lot more than any of my other friends but then another of my mates smokes it and has been jobless for over a year, he doesn't seem to have any ambition or drive to better himself. Can't all be blamed on the weed but I'm sure its a contributer.

Personally I've tried it, didn't like it but each to their own. Shouldn't be legalised and almost certainly wont be.

There are obviously exceptions to the rule, it depends on the person, some people can smoke it and still lead a good life, for example one of my best friends smokes 3-4 joints a every night of the week yet is a successful salesman, earning a lot more than any of my other friends but then another of my mates smokes it and has been jobless for over a year, he doesn't seem to have any ambition or drive to better himself. Can't all be blamed on the weed but I'm sure its a contributer.

Personally I've tried it, didn't like it but each to their own. Shouldn't be legalised and almost certainly wont be.

I hope you are a teetotaler then , because otherwise you'd be considered a hypocrite. Replace 'weed' and 'joints' with alcohol and you can leave the rest virtually unchanged and it applies perfectly well(according to your logic).

it stinks bad, the smell lingers for ages and its nasty, in my job i go into peoples houses, some of them stink to high heaven of pot, and in these houses are small children, playing on filthy carpets in the pot smelling shit-holes these grotty mingers live in, I feel sorry for the kids, but they will become their parents and the circle will be complete. As you can probably tell, I really dont like the stuff, and I hate working in the rancid stink of it in the white trash, pikey bastards houses, luckily it is only 1 or 2 a month or else i would be looking to do something else to earn my crust

About standard for this forum. I don't like it, so ban it.

Haha, thats not what I said and thats not what I mean. I should have explained why I don't think it should be legalised but I'm at work so couldn't. I don't think it would work very well being legalised here, its done well in Holland and other places but British people are alot different to the Dutch, I just think it would spell alot of trouble.

I hope you are a teetotaler then , because otherwise you'd be considered a hypocrite. Replace 'weed' and 'joints' with alcohol and you can leave the rest virtually unchanged and it applies perfectly well(according to your logic).

I think you've misunderstood my point, as I mentioned, "it depends on the person" and "Can't all be blamed on the weed". I'm not saying that Weed turns people into a pointless unambitious cabbage, but in some cases Weed will have a negative effect on people, surely even a keen smoker like yourself can agree on that?

I think you've misunderstood my point, as I mentioned, "it depends on the person" and "Can't all be blamed on the weed". I'm not saying that Weed turns people into a pointless unambitious cabbage, but in some cases Weed will have a negative effect on people, surely even a keen smoker like yourself can agree on that?

As will Alcohol, Tobacco many prescription drugs etc. But they are legal , as they should be :winkold:

• 3 weeks later...

In the news again today:

Guardian Science Correspondent"]

Cannabis should be licensed and sold in shops, expert says

Leading cannabis researcher calls for legalisation with controls similar to alcohol and tobacco

A-file-photo-of-an-uniden-001.jpg

Cannabis is no more dangerous than tobacco or alcohol, according to Professor Pertwee. Photograph: David Bebber/Reuters

Cannabis for recreational use should be available in shops under similar restrictions to those used to control the sale of alcohol and tobacco, according to Britain's leading expert on the drug.

Under one scenario, people would be able to apply for a licence to buy cannabis products once they reach the age of 21, provided they have the approval of a doctor, he said.

The drug would be regulated by a body that ensures the quality and safety of the products before they go on sale.

A rethink of the laws surrounding cannabis and related products was necessary to take cannabis out of the hands of criminals, said Roger Pertwee, professor of neuropharmacology at Aberdeen University.

In the 1970s, Pertwee co-discovered THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.

Speaking ahead of a talk this week at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Pertwee said: "In my view, we don't have an ideal solution yet to deal with recreational cannabis. We should consider licensing and marketing cannabis and cannabis products just as we do alcohol and tobacco.

"At the moment, cannabis is in the hands of criminals, and that's crazy. We're allowed to take alcohol, we're allowed to smoke cigarettes. Cannabis, if it's handled properly, is probably not going to be any more dangerous than that."

The government upgraded cannabis to a class B drug late last year against the advice of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. The council's chairman, Professor David Nutt, was sacked after criticising the government's drugs policy, a move that prompted five others to resign in protest.

Possession of class B drugs, which include amphetamines, such as speed and barbiturates, carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison plus a fine. Dealing the drugs can lead to a 14-year prison sentence. The most recent Home Office figures show there are 158,000 convictions for cannabis possession a year.

Pertwee said he wanted to reopen the debate on cannabis, saying he favoured legalisation if the drug was well regulated. He added that healthier alternatives to smoking cannabis were available.

Outlawing the drug forced users to either grow it illicitly or buy it from an illegal dealer. "They have no idea what the composition is, what has been added to it, and they are at risk of being invited to take other drugs," he said.

Attempts to relax the ban on cannabis have been countered by concerns that it can cause schizophrenia in a minority of people who are susceptible to the condition. Pertwee said it might be possible for doctors to assess people's backgrounds and risk of mental health problems before allowing them to buy a cannabis licence.

"You would need a minimum age of 21, but I would go further: that you have to have a licence. You have to have a car licence, you have to have a dog licence; why not a cannabis licence, so you can only take it if it's medically safe for you to do so?" he said.

Nutt, who is a professor of neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London, said: "I welcome this attempt by the UK's leading expert on cannabis to bring rationality to the debate on its legal status.

"As cannabis is clearly less harmful than alcohol, criminalisation of people who prefer this drug is illogical and unjust. We need a new regulatory approach to cannabis. The Dutch coffee-shop model is one that has been proven to work but some of Professor Pertwee's new suggestions may well have extra benefits and should be actively debated."

Even the Daily Mail has an objective article:

Legalise cannabis sales to cut crime and save the NHS millions, says expert

Legalising cannabis and selling it alongside cigarettes and alcohol would cut crime and costs to the NHS, Britain's leading expert on the drug has said.

Professor Roger Pertwee said that a system that legalises cannabis with very strict regulations 'could be the way forward'.

The Aberdeen University professor, who has dedicated the last four decades to researching the drug, said that the current prohibition clearly isn't working and feasible alternatives include producing branded products that undergo strict safety tests.

article-1311819-0B2D610A000005DC-754_224x423.jpg

Professor Roger Pertwee says making cannabis as available as alcohol would prevent drug-related crime, and reduce the chances of people being introduced to harder narcotics

Made under licence, they would be free of contaminants and sold in shops, removing the risk of users also being sold harder drugs.

Those who wanted to use the drug could apply for a licence.

Professor Pertwee told the British Science Festival in Birmingham: 'We have to have a car licence, we used to have a dog licence, so why not have a cannabis licence so you can only take it if it is medically safe to do so?

'That would exclude some people who are have a risk of becoming schizophrenic.'

The drug's links to schizophrenia mean that licences should be restricted those age 21 and over, said the professor, who has advised the Government and the British Medical Association on the drug.

Calling for a public debate on the scenario, he said: 'We are allowed to take alcohol and smoke cigarettes and cannabis if it is handled properly is probably not going to be any more dangerous than that.

'I think that this could be the way forward but it might not work because it depends on a company coming forward and producing branded products.

'If you came up with a company that wanted to do that it would have to go through the same licensing process as a medicine and show it was safe.

'If it went through all these steps, I would be in favour of it.'

But drug campaigners described the scheme as 'foolish'.

Mary Brett, of Europe Against Drugs, said it was impossible to predict who would react badly to the drug.

Questioning the practicalities of policing such a scheme, she said: 'We have been terrible at keeping alcohol away from kids. Why would we want to add to our misery?'

And there are the usual comments, such as this:

I'm sorry but this is not a good idea. I have read the comments and am alarmed at how many have said legalising cannabis is a good idea. It's not!

It completely alters the personality of a person, dopes them up for a lot longer period than alcohol does. Then there is the mood swings, the depression and more. Whatever your views on alcohol and tobacco, surely having one more thing legalised such as cannabis is not good?

On a side note, I know of a man who was a criminal lawyer and he told me there was NOT ONE case he dealt with associated with drugs that didn't START with cannabis which then esculated into harder drugs which then esculated to crime to feed the habit. So I don't know how legalising cannabis would reduce crime....it simply doesn't make sense.

...I also heard that 99% of all heroin addicts and criminals have, at some point, eaten bread.

Actually, in terms of cannabis being a 'gateway' drug, people always seem to either agree or disagree. In my view, it's not an argument for its criminalisation at all, although in some (not all, in fact I'd say 'few') cases it can lead to users experimenting with harder drugs. This kind of thing depends on the individual, the area, where they get their stuff from, etc. However, if the source of the drugs wasn't dealers who - in some cases - may offer harder drugs to susceptible cannabis users, and instead cannabis was available in a legal environment, I think that this would actually reduce instances of cannabis being a gateway drug.

Most readers in both the Guardian and, perhaps surprisingly, the Mail, seem to be in favour of legalisation. In related articles, such as this, there are a few comments along these lines:

Don't legalise it!

We have a bigger problem with legalised alcohol and it's nothing like heroin!

But I liked this response:

You might want to look into what illegal heroin is doing to the UK. Maybe it's not happening in your area just now.

So, let's get together and feel alright.

It will never be a vote winner so it will not be legalised here.

There are lots of calls for it to be legalised and supportive comments but I'm sure there is a silent majority who are pretty happy with the status quo. There would be whole swathes of middle england up in arms if any serious moves were actually made to legalise it.

It would have to be done by stealth like it has been in California for it to happen without getting a backlash.

It will never be a vote winner so it will not be legalised here.

There are lots of calls for it to be legalised and supportive comments but I'm sure there is a silent majority who are pretty happy with the status quo. There would be whole swathes of middle england up in arms if any serious moves were actually made to legalise it.

It would have to be done by stealth like it has been in California for it to happen without getting a backlash.

Ban alcohol in Middle England would be the obvious solution. They can´t have life exactly how they want it. 20 years in the future I can see most European countries and population getting a tiny bit of intelligence a legalise it, leaving England like it is. Drinking is far more damaging but people won´t be told or refuse to understand, it´s not that difficult really.

As I said earlier in the thread, Holland is the top place to bring up children and there are coffee shops all over the place but having weed kept illegal in the UK obviously works so well, the town centres on a Friday and Saturday are a joy to behold. So many different people not drinking or fighting or stabbing each other, it must be wonderful to be in such a Utopia.

If you want to keep it banned in the UK that is your choice but a choice not by yourself or experience but based on hatred of things you don´t know or understand. Don´t let the media or middle England inbreds make your minds up for you ....oooops too late, never mind.

Â