Cannabis

Troglodyte

"Decriminalisation is a simplistic solution that fails to recognise the complexity of the problem"

Means absolutely nothing.

You could just as easily say "Criminalisation is a simplistic solution that fails to recognise the complexity of the problem"

Indeed.

In fact, I would argue that multi-levelled decriminalisation is a much more complex solution than prohibition, and that it is blanket criminalisation that is the simplistic, short-cut approach.

James Brokenshire, the crime prevention minister, said: "Drugs are harmful and ruin lives – legalisation is not the answer. Decriminalisation is a simplistic solution that fails to recognise the complexity of the problem and ignores the serious harm drug taking poses to the individual.

"Legalisation fails to address the reasons people misuse drugs in the first place or the misery, cost and lost opportunities that dependence causes individuals, their families and the wider community."

In this case, I agree with the Tory :shock: (great name considering his job, BTW).

Is anybody seriously suggesting that all recreational drugs should be made available on prescription? To anybody that wants them? And those that get refused do what?

Apart from anything else, the NHS is overloaded as it is. Can you imagine your GP's waiting room filled with scallies asking for skunk, heroin, crack, acid, etc., etc.?

Fine idea in principle, perhaps, but utterly unfeasible in practice.

I'm aware of the use of mecidinal cannabis, but I'm not referring to mecidinal cannabis, I'm talking about the general smoking of non-mecidinal cannabis.

Isn't cannabis in the form of medicine legal for prescription by your doctor?

I see no reason why cannabis can't be decriminalised though.

James Brokenshire, the crime prevention minister, said: "Drugs are harmful and ruin lives – legalisation is not the answer. Decriminalisation is a simplistic solution that fails to recognise the complexity of the problem and ignores the serious harm drug taking poses to the individual.

"Legalisation fails to address the reasons people misuse drugs in the first place or the misery, cost and lost opportunities that dependence causes individuals, their families and the wider community."

In this case, I agree with the Tory :shock: (great name considering his job, BTW).

Is anybody seriously suggesting that all recreational drugs should be made available on prescription? To anybody that wants them? And those that get refused do what?

Apart from anything else, the NHS is overloaded as it is. Can you imagine your GP's waiting room filled with scallies asking for skunk, heroin, crack, acid, etc., etc.?

I certainly don't think the calls for acid to be available on prescription would be as reasonable as heroin etc.

It would clearly have to be well thought out and regulated, but I think it would work. Plus, with the amount of money you'd save in policing etc if heroin was to be available in such a way would probably help to fund this, as would the money the government would rake in if they legalised cannabis!

I am not sure about all, but the cannabis market is a giant, even if you combine all those other illegal drugs.

Besides, doesn´t most tests show that the demand drops the more legalized a drug is? at least after the initial partytime. :)

I am not sure about all, but the cannabis market is a giant, even if you combine all those other illegal drugs.

Besides, doesn´t most tests show that the demand drops the more legalized a drug is? at least after the initial partytime. :)

Alcohol is legal. Low demand? Don't think so.

Advertising should not be allowed. Ban the alcohol advertising and watch the demand drop.

Alcohol is deeply embedded within our culture, though, and indeed it is celebrated in a way that no other drug is, or ever would be. And this is despite the fact that it is, in fact, one of the most harmful drugs, much more so than tobacco, cannabis, LSD, ecstasy.

Along with legalisation must also come education, of course, and better education about alcohol should be part of that. The stigma around hard drugs must remain, and it is important to distinguish between decriminalisation and a hedonistic free-for-all.

That said, it is quite possible, even likely, that drug use would rise, at least in the short term, were drugs to be decriminalised. But the evidence, from other countries, to suggest that drug abuse does not rise and may indeed even fall, is encouraging, if not a guarantee.

And you have to offset the benefits;

- Addicts get proper treatment from medical professionals, not gangsters.

- Money goes to HM Treasury, not to criminals.

- Less police time and resource is wasted fighting an unwinnable and ultimately pointless battle.

- The content of drugs can be properly tested and understood, rather than having substances 'cut' with potentially dangerous filler, or morphing into legal highs such as mephedrone about which little is known.

- Reduced chance of user death by overdose or infection.

And that's just in consumer countries. Given wider implementation across the world, the activities of powerful and bloody drug cartel's which murder and enslave thousands, particularly but not exclusively in Latin America, would be greatly reduced, and a similar argument can be made in relation to, for example, Opium and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

There is no perfect solution to narcotics abuse, but there is a better and more progressive way than what we see currently.

the big problem with cannabis as something illegal is the inability to control strength of the drug.

if you buy a pint of Stella it's what 4.5%?

imagine getting a pint of Stella in one place and it's 2% then the next place it's 75%.

legalise, regulate, control, tax, WIN!

that is my ethos.

also means the illegal dealers are pushed out the way, money is not lost to the black market, crime would eventually drop. criminals would move abroad, go straight or pursue it and get caught or commit suicide.

anyone caught illegally dealing drugs for money 10 years, anyone caught growing drugs even for personal consumption some kind of prison sentence, community service order and massive fine.

government grows and distributes the drug for £20 an 8th which they would make a massive profit on, even taking into consideration NHS investment, policing etc.

About a year ago, a 'friend' of mine, the sort who would never take drugs, had a little go on some Bolivian Marching Powder whilst out on a big night, and heavily influenced by alcohol.

Said friend quickly became entangled in the culture associated with such things, and tried one or 2 other offerings.

It took a complete withdrawal from the social scene for a few weeks to get back out of this mess.

Moral of the story: Dont do drugs, as it never just stops there. Or so Im told.

Â