Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

Yeah I thought it was a bollocks rumour too considering I read this from him about 2 month ago.

I wouldn't say it's a "bollocks rumour" as I know I've seen him being a prima donna first-hand and it's clear that Kev Mac also had concerns about his application. Guess it's just good to hear from Kendrick that it might not all be quite as bad as we'd thought. I think ultimately there seems to be a perception that he doesn't put in as much effort as he could, rather than him having a bad attitude.

I like the idea of having the Fonz/Gab out on the right but drifting in if Ash is doing the same on the other side. Makes them difficult to mark when they come inside, creates space for SI/DJ/Bannan to go outside them and looks a lot more fluid. I think it will take them a while to really learn this but will stand them in good stead.

I've never really understood the fuss and hype over him. Has always looked pretty average to me, can't see him working at his game like Gabby has done (not many players do!)... but meh... hope he proves me wrong, but think he will be pretty average TBH!

I think 3 months playing 90mins twice a week in the Championship might be just what he needs. I think he needs to toughen up a bit and learn how to impose himself on contests. Reserve matches and 15-minute sub appearances are not going to get him that, especially if he needs the odd reminder of how hard he needs to work.

He seem like he was a finisher, a fox in the box as they call it. But his all round game was poor, as was his decision making at time. Hopefully playing on the wing will allow for him to develop his game a little. He model himself on Henry, so a spell on the wing may do him some good. I also think it was a pity he didn't go on loan last season, it was just what he needed.

fonz looked good out wide so who knows, he certainly has the pace for it

It's also a path that Gabby had to take. Playing as a winger (though we were baffled at the time as to why) gave him a better understanding of the game and of his team-mates when he went back to being a striker.

Very strange, I just heard Houllier say on SSN that we have 3 centre forwards, Gabby, Heskey and Carew...He didn't even mention Fonz.

I wonder if he thinks he isn't ready for the first team or he intends to use him elsewhere.

I think it's one of 2 reasons.

1) Houllier's been told that the Fonz is full of himself so thinks this might make him want to push to becoming one of the first team forwards.

2) Houllier just views him as backup and therefore wouldn't list him when talking to SSN.

Option 2 is more obvious and less shocking.

Fonz isn't on the bench today (Bannan and Clark are however)
Well Carew is on the bench, when we're paying with only one striker we don't need two on the bench with Ireland.

Â