Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

I firmly believe we have players who will look better now because of the formation we will play and the confidence that MacDonald / new manager will give to the fringe players.

Sidwell for me is a prime example of someone who should benefit from it and suddently 4 or 5 players become real options for us .

The squad needs tinkering not a major overhaul .

Ireland and Keane were all we need this season in my opinion .

i totally agree with you - except perhaps for keane. i'm sure he could do a job but he is just a bit meh - cant help feeling his best days are behind him.

hopefully the reserves will now become just an extension of the first team rather than the scenario we have had under mon where they were pretty much a separate entity from the first xi.

I'd much rather we play Delfouneso and Weimann more often than buy Robbie Keane. Waste of money, hinders developement and potential value of our youth players and massive wages. Everything about it seems wrong IMO, especially if we're going to be playing 4-5-1, which IMO is our best formation.

So Kev Mac is already freezing players out and playing favourites ay....
:bang:

Relax - I was just being facetious :lol:

I actually think it's a bit harsh though to cite Delf's pre-season as a reason to leave him out when he was off representing England.

Hopefully though it will be just a little kick in the bum to get him extra motivated to put the scoring boots on.

i reckon that KMac looking at the entire squad and picking the best 18 for matchday is fantastic news....

having the balls to put people on the bench by virtue of their recent performance, even if raises a few eyebrows is exactly what the squad needs...

gives hope to those who weren't getting a look in before and reminds those who were that they will need to be on their games...

great to see the young lads playing as well...

good to see andy W and big barry b getting a few minutes at the end, although it was a low risk strategy... would have been interesting to see what KMac's view would have been if we had been 2-1 down...

I firmly believe we have players who will look better now because of the formation we will play and the confidence that MacDonald / new manager will give to the fringe players.

Sidwell for me is a prime example of someone who should benefit from it and suddently 4 or 5 players become real options for us .

Is that taking into account Milners leaving or not out of interest?

I assume so given Ireland but worth asking....

Yes we lose Milner then Ireland replaces him . I |just don't think there are many better players we can go for out there at the moment who would make a real difference . Keane would be ideal for 2 years before someone like Weimann fully develops.

MM, where do you think we stand now on the whole "sell to buy" issue?

I think I'm slightly losing the plot on transfers - do we still want to offload a bunch of expensive fringe players or has that now all changed?

i reckon that KMac looking at the entire squad and picking the best 18 for matchday is fantastic news....

having the balls to put people on the bench by virtue of their recent performance, even if raises a few eyebrows is exactly what the squad needs...

gives hope to those who weren't getting a look in before and reminds those who were that they will need to be on their games...

great to see the young lads playing as well...

good to see andy W and big barry b getting a few minutes at the end, although it was a low risk strategy... would have been interesting to see what KMac's view would have been if we had been 2-1 down...

Im not understanding the love in to be honest. The only choice i can see he made is to pick Weimann over Delfonso. The starting 11 pretty much picked itself. Indications were MON would have started with the same 11. The young lads were bought in because of injuries werent they? nice to see a few get a run out but he still waited for us to be 3 nil up.

The young lads were bought in because of injuries werent they? nice to see a few get a run out but he still waited for us to be 3 nil up

Well yeah, but MON (who I'm still a fan of, not knocking him) used to not make changes and give the young lads a run-out even WHEN we were well ahead, which people hated.

Yes we lose Milner then Ireland replaces him . I |just don't think there are many better players we can go for out there at the moment who would make a real difference . Keane would be ideal for 2 years before someone like Weimann fully develops.

I think I'm slightly losing the plot on transfers - do we still want to offload a bunch of expensive fringe players or has that now all changed?

They would love Heskey to leave I asked about the Sunderland rumour to be told if only ! Randy likes Luke Young and felt he was treated as a scapegoat for the Chelsea 7 1 game so doubt they would let him go .

Not sure if they will let anyone go at the moment and allow the new manager to make the decisions . We do need though to move a few off the wage bill and my gut feeling is Heskey / Davies / Beye are the likely most candidates .

I still think we need a Striker to replace Heskey - somebody who actually scores goals. A CM for Sidwell would be great also, as we only have Petrov, NRC and an injured Delph (I'd regard Ireland as too attacking a midfielder).

They would love Heskey to leave I asked about the Sunderland rumour to be told if only ! Randy likes Luke Young and felt he was treated as a scapegoat for the Chelsea 7 1 game so doubt they would let him go .

Not sure if they will let anyone go at the moment and allow the new manager to make the decisions . We do need though to move a few off the wage bill and my gut feeling is Heskey / Davies / Beye are the likely most candidates .

It worries me if our board are deciding who they'd like to let go and who they'd not. Lerner shouldn't have an opinion on things like this, he should leave this to the manager.

It worries me if our board are deciding who they'd like to let go and who they'd not. Lerner shouldn't have an opinion on things like this, he should leave this to the manager.

If you read it, he is. Someone has to make the decisions now, him and Faulkner if they recieved an offer, but the last line of his post says, they won't let anyone go and wait until they have a manager who can then make decisions...

I'm quite happy with the way our squad looks with the fringe players being our good crop of youngsters. That's how it should be and definitely makes sense in a climate of financial austerity. Young local players seems to get people more excited than big money signings and I think the club will ride that wave and to that end Kevin MacDonald would be the logical appointment. No-one can know if it will work out long-term but it definitely makes sense in our current situation.

I would agree that Heskey, Davies and Beye are all surplus to requirements. We don't need 4 centre backs if Luke Young comes back in at right-back, plus we have Clark who has impressed both times he's been thrown in. I would disagree that Sidwell will benefit though. He just hasn't got it. It wasn't about systems with him, just poor decision making in crucial areas of the pitch. He can't protect the ball and consequently gives possession away cheaply that leads directly to opportunities for the opposition. A change of system will not change that.

Â