Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

He's still only 21. Seems older as he has been around so long. Gary Cahill struggled to get into a Villa first team as well and look where he is know, a Champions League medal in his back pocket. In fact if you look at their careers up to the age of 21 they are both fairly similar. Cahill had been on loan at Burnley & Sheffield United and had only played 29 premiership games for us. Currently the Fonz has 31 Premiership games under his belt and only 2 goals, but let's see what he can do with an extended run in a team before we decide to write him off completely.

maybe but when Cahill was at Burnley he walked away with a lot of awards for his performances and looked a star, Fonz never made any impression on his loan spell.

I think about 90% of Villa fans knew Cahill was going to be a very good player cant say the same of the opinion about Fonz

We have Bent, Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and Bowery as our five senior strikers and have youths coming through.

There's nothing in the youth teams as a centre forward that I can think of as coming through - in fact we're pretty desperate there, we have Drennan who is so-so and will probably have a lower league career and then we're having to play Grealish up front with him at the moment as we don't have a second striker.

The point on the five we have remains true, but I think it'd be a nice bonus if Delfouneso were to come back an improved prospect.

Clearly he prefers Weimann and Bowery at this stage

I can't speak for Bowery as I've never seen him play.

But I also prefer Weimann over the FOnz. He's shown more in his few games than the Fonz has ever shown,oimo.

We have Bent, Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and Bowery as our five senior strikers and have youths coming through.

There's nothing in the youth teams as a centre forward that I can think of as coming through - in fact we're pretty desperate there, we have Drennan who is so-so and will probably have a lower league career and then we're having to play Grealish up front with him at the moment as we don't have a second striker.

The point on the five we have remains true, but I think it'd be a nice bonus if Delfouneso were to come back an improved prospect.

Drennan isn't going to be good enough I don't think, but Callum Robinson is the next in line to step up from the Academy.

He's still only 21. Seems older as he has been around so long. Gary Cahill struggled to get into a Villa first team as well and look where he is know, a Champions League medal in his back pocket. In fact if you look at their careers up to the age of 21 they are both fairly similar. Cahill had been on loan at Burnley & Sheffield United and had only played 29 premiership games for us. Currently the Fonz has 31 Premiership games under his belt and only 2 goals, but let's see what he can do with an extended run in a team before we decide to write him off completely.

maybe but when Cahill was at Burnley he walked away with a lot of awards for his performances and looked a star, Fonz never made any impression on his loan spell.

I think about 90% of Villa fans knew Cahill was going to be a very good player cant say the same of the opinion about Fonz

That is a fair point, but the difference is, that Cahill got a full season at Burnely & half a season at Sheffield United, of course it could just be that Cahill had miles more ability than Nathan. The Fonz has had these patchy month or a few month loan spells, never had a real extendend run in a team. I'm not saying he's going to turn in to RVP because he's playing a few games in a row, all I'm saying is let's just keep an eye on him before we start talking about flogging him off for a few 100k.

Also not that I watch a lot of academy games living in Ireland, but the current crop do not inspire much confidence, I remember hearing about Bannan scoring and setting up goals every game, was wondering how he wasn't pushing for a first team spot. I don't see a level of consistency there with the current crop at all, but as I said I'm going purely on biased reports on the official site.

It was more of a sweeping statement, we undoubtedly have some strikers coming through the ranks, even if they are 15, 14 even, I see someone has mentioned Robinson to. There is no way in hell we need 6 strikers on the books. Thats outrageous. :o

Perhaps if he was to come back an improved prospect but he would have to set the championship alight for me to really want him back here, I think sometimes you just have to move on.

The guys found his level. Get what we can for him and move on.

agreed...

Championship striker at best...

if he bangs them in until january sell him for 3m while they think hes shit hot

I think he will do well and might just come back a premier league player.

Whatever, I don't know why people knock his attitude, I've been told he a pleasure to work with and actually level headed.

Also not that I watch a lot of academy games living in Ireland, but the current crop do not inspire much confidence, I remember hearing about Bannan scoring and setting up goals every game, was wondering how he wasn't pushing for a first team spot. I don't see a level of consistency there with the current crop at all, but as I said I'm going purely on biased reports on the official site.

I agree with that. Our academy has been really strong for the past few years but I'm not sure the current crop offer much hope. Thankfully the guys that have just come through, combined with the youngsters that we have brought in, should provide us with a solid basis for a squad over the coming years. Our new chief scout will be looking for some bargain kids from abroad too, I would think.

Ha

I've actually advocated for a long time that I don't believe Fonz has had a fair run of games. It's been very much stop start.

Others have countered he's not earned the right to a run of games. They may be correct, it's a difficult call.

I get the feeling Fonz will leave and he'll become a "we will never know" type player

Â