Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I asked the staff at restaurant to tell another table to keep their kids under control the other day.

The waiter made it very obvious it was me that asked but I don't care anymore.

Just because you've gained the ability to tune your horrible brats' noise out doesn't mean the rest of us have to endure it. Shut them up or lock them in a cupboard or something.

And did they keep them under control after that?

When we eat out, we tend to do so pretty much only quite late on weekdays, or at more upmarket places, almost solely because I'm fed up of having my evening disrupted by someone's disorderly crotch fruit. If a restaurant has a kid's menu, I'm not interested in going there.

If you want to take your noisy brats out, go and eat at the Wacky Warehouse, not proper restaurants.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

When we eat out, we tend to do so pretty much only quite late on weekdays, or at more upmarket places, almost solely because I'm fed up of having my evening disrupted by someone's disorderly crotch fruit.

If you want to take your noisy brats out, go and eat at the Wacky Warehouse, not proper restaurants.

like McDonald's? 

To be honest, when I go out for a meal or a drink, I rarely encounter a family outing with toddlers. My tolerance for noisy kids will have increased of course, but I really don’t think I have had too many bad experiences.

But if Frankie & Benny’s/TFI fridays are the main culprits for that sort of thing, then I wouldn’t have as I never really go there.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What a very British attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how hostile us brits are to children in restaurants when they are so welcomed everywhere else in the world. It's almost Victorian 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What a very British attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how hostile us brits are to children in restaurants when they are so welcomed everywhere else in the world. It's almost Victorian 

It's a vicious circle. Too much bad parenting in this country - children are not taught how to behave in different social situations. We were once complimented on the behaviour of our children in a (fairly posh) restaurant in France - I suspect they had learned to fear the worst from British families. It probably helped that the elder daughter (then about six), when offered ice cream for dessert, asked to see the cheese board - and demonstrated a pretty sophisticated knowlege of le fromage when making her choice.  :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As Mike says, its down to the fact that there is so much shitty parenting in this country now. Kids are just left to run riot while their parents stare at their phones. This breeds resentment. 

I'll fully agree with Mike about it being a vicious circle, too.

I think the most frustrating part is that there are quite few 'safe' places to go now, if you don't like kids. They annoy me to  an unreasonable extent, but it's quite a struggle these days to find restaurants, or even pubs that aren't trying their best to be family friendly. It's clearly good for business, so people like me are obviously in the vast minority, but damn, it's surprising how hard it can be to find a place to have a pint without kids running about. Every other pub seems to feel the need to be a family-friendly gastropub. 

Edited by Davkaus

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Private members clubs are way forward. No kids, no women and no mobile phone usage. 

I think this privates/members club you went to may have been a gay bar..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Private members clubs are way forward. No kids, no women and no mobile phone usage. 

Going to the Yale Club in Manhattan for dinner next with my best mate. He just joined and although woman are allowed in some areas there are still 'men only' parts of the club.

https://www.yaleclubnyc.org/

Not Permitted:
Shorts, tee shirts, casual sandals, athletic wear of any kind (including footwear and caps), and torn, provocative or revealing clothing.

Guess me and my boys can't wear our normal Friday night going out garb.

257237_full.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I think this privates/members club you went to may have been a gay bar..

Errrm, are you suggesting the 'Rear Admiral Sailors Club' is a gay bar? How dare you! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Going to the Yale Club in Manhattan for dinner next with my best mate. He just joined and although woman are allowed in some areas there are still 'men only' parts of the club.

https://www.yaleclubnyc.org/

There is a place in Brum (http://www.colmoreclub.co.uk/) which is open to men and women but i'd wager its 100% male membership

Â