Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was briefly in Primitivo last night. Its been refurbished well. 

I work in the financial district. What it's missing is a couple more proper boozers. Swanky bars are well and good. They open, become popular, charge silly prices, the owners make a ton of money, something shinier and newer opens next door, they close.  Rinse and repeat. 

The proper boozers however have all been around for years and are packed to the gunnells still for a reason. Need more proper pubs. 

Is the Old C's still like a sardine tin at 5pm? 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is the Old C's still like a sardine tin at 5pm? 

Only pub I've ever drank in where it was easier to go outside and come back in to make it to the gents than try to squeeze through past the bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Yes, which is why I will always go to Edmunds instead. 

I do like Edmunds as well. Used to be the Hogshead? Always used to be our meeting place after work on a Friday. Some great escapades planned in there over a beer or three! 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I like the old joint stock personally 

What does let it down is the briar rose is probably the worst weatherspoons ive ever been in

The Stock is the one I always take clients too. Grand old pub magnificently decorated. 

You are right about the Briar Rose...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I like the old joint stock personally 

What does let it down is the briar rose is probably the worst weatherspoons ive ever been in

I also like the OJS but it's hideously expensive and utterly impossible to get served in. It's like they specifically train the staff to make absolutely sure to serve someone and then make absolutely certain to ignore anyone either side of the person they just served and either just disappear or serve whoever moves into the space just vacated. 

My boss has been a fixture there for about 20 years but recently got himself banned for insulting the landlord. I can't repeat exactly what he said but it involved him sitting around whilst the queues were getting out of control. Even being probably their best ever customer he was instantly barred. 

Funny thing is he had a particular metal sign up behind the bar which he went behind the bar and took down. 

When he tried to come back in about a fortnight later, he was still refused service but noticed and exact copy of his sign up behind the bar. When he asked why it was there he was told so many people asked about it so they went onto Amazon and bought a copy of it. So he went behind the bar again and nicked the replica. 

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Put in a word for @Ingram85 then! 

Not sure I've met anyone of breeding age less bothered about being in a relationship than Lucy?

She went to school with my other half. We don't hang with her showbiz mates.

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've been in worse Spoons pubs than the Briar Rose. The one in Perth (Scotland, not Australia) is appalling. 

Deepest sympathies. It must have been awful.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've been in worse Spoons pubs than the Briar Rose. The one in Perth (Scotland, not Australia) is appalling. 

I think another 2 in Brum are worse - The Figure of Eight and Square Peg.

The one in Chinatown is OK

Edited by Xela

I was shopping today as I got an Easter bonus at work and I found a jacket/coat that I loved.

Went to buy it and found out that there's an Easter promotion and I can get anything else in store up to the same value for free.

The coat wasn't cheap so I'm getting a suit for free :D

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry for double post but this is a linked, but different point.

For the first time in my life, I am financially secure enough that I can go and buy stuff like a suit or a jacket if I want to. It feels great.

Financially secure.

Fancy new suit.

Nice young lady on the horizon.

A new found air of confidence and happiness.

;)

• Like 1

I've been motivated today after my torn hamstring has been feeling good for a few days. It's boring, but I feel good. 

Bathroom cleaned

Kitchen cleaned 

All floors vacuumed 

Polished all house except kitchen

Done 2 loads of washing

Ironed two overfilled baskets (been on holiday and worked this week)

Tidied everything up and away.

Submitted my meter readings 

Got thomas tank engine trackmaster out for my lad, put them together, played for a bit.  Got bored, put it away. Got ertl thomas trains out.  Played with them.  Done his homework (colouring Easter eggs). Made his dinner.  Now we're onto pirates and paw patrol.

My wife was out all day sorting out her grandads stuff after he passed away 2 weeks ago.

Been a busy, but fun day :)

40 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Financially secure.

Fancy new suit.

Nice young lady on the horizon.

A new found air of confidence and happiness.

;)

This one has fallen flat. She chewed me up and spat me out :D

• Sad 1

Â