Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Monday is a bank holiday.

I hate my job, when I slump down at my desk at 9am, my mind gets up and wanders off for the day and meets me after work. I honestly couldn't tell you what I did yesterday, I have no recollection what so ever.

^^ My workmates think that highlighting 2 icons at once is an act of God.

Not as bad as one accounts dept I worked for whose manager used to fill in excel cells in black as they did not know about the delete key.

A mate of mine, who is an auditor for one of the big 4, told me that one of her colleagues used a calculator to sum columns

Failure like this isn't limited to excel.

I've had psd's of documents sent to me where confidential information has been blacked out... on a seperate layer. One click and you can read everything you weren't meant to read.

I've had that, with word documents! Send it as a PDF you thick clearing in the woods!

In an unashamedly geeky way, learning a new trick in excel and implementing it into my ridiculously over-engineered Premier League spreadsheet where the bells and whistles have their own bells and whistles.

There is nothing wrong with being happy about this. There are times when a complex IF statement has made my day.

OK then you've convinced me to expand on it :) Using the 'offset()' function to dynamically alter the amount of X values in a chart so that there's never a gap at the end. I wanted my sheet to work equally well in an 18 (Bundesliga) or a 20 team league and that was one of the final tweaks that was needed :thumb:

Seriously, if you're doing anything in Excel that requires 3-plus-depth-nested-IFs or VBA or offsets()'s, etc. then you're almost certainly using the wrong tool for the job.

Perl (or Python (or Ruby (or even PHP... *shudder*))) plus MySQL (or Postgres (or Firebird (or even Ingres... *shudder*))) are a ton more powerful, more expressive, and more extensible (not to mention more Free).

In an unashamedly geeky way, learning a new trick in excel and implementing it into my ridiculously over-engineered Premier League spreadsheet where the bells and whistles have their own bells and whistles.

There is nothing wrong with being happy about this. There are times when a complex IF statement has made my day.

OK then you've convinced me to expand on it :) Using the 'offset()' function to dynamically alter the amount of X values in a chart so that there's never a gap at the end. I wanted my sheet to work equally well in an 18 (Bundesliga) or a 20 team league and that was one of the final tweaks that was needed :thumb:

Seriously, if you're doing anything in Excel that requires 3-plus-depth-nested-IFs or VBA or offsets()'s, etc. then you're almost certainly using the wrong tool for the job.

Perl (or Python (or Ruby (or even PHP... *shudder*))) plus MySQL (or Postgres (or Firebird (or even Ingres... *shudder*))) are a ton more powerful, more expressive, and more extensible (not to mention more Free).

This.

And megabytes and stuff.

I've just added "Carson Yeung" as a friend on FB...it's obviously a Villa fan taking the piss.

What makes it cheer me up is the number of Blosers who are his "friend" too...obviously think it's the real dog eater!

Bahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :-)

I've just added "Carson Yeung" as a friend on FB...it's obviously a Villa fan taking the piss.

What makes it cheer me up is the number of Blosers who are his "friend" too...obviously think it's the real dog eater!

Bahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :-)

:lol:

oddly, the advert doing the rounds of natalie cassidy's "amazing" weight loss and how she is posing like britney spears

Natalie-Cassidy-poses-in-as-Britney-spears-for-Closer-magazine-9.jpg

someone needs to tell her that she could return to her birth weight and she'd still look like she lost a fight with an arctic lorry

literally made me :lol:

Getting a flight back from Florida (8.00 pm take off) last week and finding 3 spare seats in front so me and the Mrs had 3 seats each. Immediately got my stuff on there before anyone else. Slept for 6 hours on and off.

This is how flying should be.

Never fly with virgin !!

We are getting 2 paintings done for the UK (BRUM) and Holland (Amsterdam). So paintings based on the city and sights.....

The artist just called the girl who is organizing it while I was next to her. The conversation was (100 % true I kid you not):-

She asked me the following question :-

"What is the name of the football team in Birmingham, is it just Birmingham or something and what colours do they play in ?"

My reply will make us all happy :D:clap:

As one off tasks that's probably correct, but these are perhaps 1 or 2 things being done in a sheet of thousands of other more-excel-like calculations. Merely the bells and the whistles. For what I'm doing, excel is the right job - I'm just trying to push it while I'm at it.

Â