Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

May have mentioned it before, but as much as I appreciate Aldi and Lidl are keeping their prices down, I find shopping there pretty depressing. It reminds me of when I used to got shopping with my Nan at Kwik Save, in Erdington when I was a kid. My local Aldi especially, is just like shopping in the early 80s.

I used to get dragged around Kwik Save in New Oscott as a nipper (Its an Aldi now). A grim place, along with the Co-op on Erdington High Street,

Remember Bewise on Erdington High St? Had an owl on the sign... was that a grocery store? my memory fails me!

Yep, I remember it well. I'm pretty sure it was a clothes shop, but it's been a few years since I've ventured that way. leemond, or one of the other Erdington Crew may remember?

May have mentioned it before, but as much as I appreciate Aldi and Lidl are keeping their prices down, I find shopping there pretty depressing. It reminds me of when I used to got shopping with my Nan at Kwik Save, in Erdington when I was a kid. My local Aldi especially, is just like shopping in the early 80s.

I used to get dragged around Kwik Save in New Oscott as a nipper (Its an Aldi now). A grim place, along with the Co-op on Erdington High Street,

Remember Bewise on Erdington High St? Had an owl on the sign... was that a grocery store? my memory fails me!

Yep, I remember it well. I'm pretty sure it was a clothes shop, but it's been a few years since I've ventured that way. leemond, or one of the other Erdington Crew may remember?

I think it closed years back! Although not ventured onto the high street for a long time

Probably. 

I pay more attention to the overall price of my shopping as what I buy week to week is more or less always the same bar one or two items here and there.

It also doesn't help that I absolutely hate going to the supermarket. It's usually full of morons so I'm in and out as quickly as possible. Looking at prices and finding the bargains would keep me there too long!

Fair enough.

Surely as an accountant, you're adding your purchases up in your head as you go around so you know what you're expecting to pay? :)

Edited by snowychap

Bewise was a clothing shop, I believe.

They had one in Kiddy (up next to the little Shipleys).

For me, it's about choosing your supermarket. Once you've done that, don't sweat the small stuff. My missus gets agitated if an item doesn't have a price on the shelf. But if it's something like a can of beans, who cares if it's a penny more or less than another supermarket? We aren't going to go to another supermarket, we need some beans, just **** ing buy them.

• Like 1

My missus gets agitated if an item doesn't have a price on the shelf. But if it's something like a can of beans, who cares if it's a penny more or less than another supermarket?

The point isn't though whether they're a penny or more than another supermarket but rather whether they decide to charge you £1.50 for them (whether that's more than you're expecting to pay or, as often is the case, much more than the barker that is on the shelf edge).

For me, it's about choosing your supermarket. Once you've done that, don't sweat the small stuff. My missus gets agitated if an item doesn't have a price on the shelf. But if it's something like a can of beans, who cares if it's a penny more or less than another supermarket? We aren't going to go to another supermarket, we need some beans, just **** ing buy them.

How does she concentrate on such trivial matters when around you, being the sexy ass gent that you are?

How does she concentrate on such trivial matters when around you, being the sexy ass gent that you are?

Apparently you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Like 1

I tend to use Waitrose most frequently because they actually employ staff. Also by a quirk of them inheriting the car park off someone else the parking spaces are 300mm wider than Tesco's. Tesco use the absolute minimum parking space sizing.

The gigantic Tesco out on the motorway junction that closed dozens of small local shops did so with the half hearted apology it was bringing a couple of hundred (low paid part-time) jobs. Funny thing is, a few years later and the Tesco vampire has decided it doesn't need staff we can all self scan and pay a little machine. Same at the local Asda - you can interact with a person at a till if you really want to, but you'll be made to queue - a lot. 

Scum, the pair of them. Plus they are still horrible Clients to work for.

I think I'm in a bit of a lucky position, but I'm also buying my meat from a couple of local butchers. How posh am I !!! Nah, it's actually cheaper and better quality (no injected water) if you can make the time to shop for it separately, which not everyone can. I find you can struggle to fry off Morrisons meat due to all the water that comes out of it.

This is what I was getting at.

Morrison's appears to be cheaper overall for me personally.

Once I've found that, I don't really care what the make up of that is.

Even if it is detrimental to Snowy's shop ;)

B'stard. :)

It's less my shop (as I do add it up as I go around) - rather the time afterwards when I march the customer service people back to the shelf/shelves in order to demonstrate their slyness and ask to be charged the correct amount.

(They are robbing the shit out of everyone who shops with them, though - as they're surely doing it on purpose and it is often not an insignificant amount per unit sold - multiply that across stores and days and it's a nice earner).

Tbf, the only time I get the arse is if someone doesn't apologize for charging the wrong amount (I've had all sorts of nonsense like 'we'll go and apply the correct discount, sir' - No! Howsabout we go and put through the correct price, instead?)

Edited by snowychap

B'stard. :)

It's less my shop (as I do add it up as I go around) - rather the time afterwards when I march the customer service people back to the shelf/shelves in order to demonstrate their slyness and ask to be charged the correct amount.

(They are robbing the shit out of everyone who shops with them, though - as they're surely doing it on purpose and it is often not an insignificant amount per unit sold - multiply that across stores and days and it's a nice earner).

Tbf, the only time I get the arse is if someone doesn't apologize for charging the wrong amount (I've had all sorts of nonsense like 'we'll go and apply the correct discount, sir' - No! Howsabout we go and put through the correct price, instead?)

Tesco are complete b'stards for that. Slyly sticking something in the £10 meal deal section that isn't part of the deal so you end up paying full whack for everything.

• Like 1

Â