Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

It's become my supermarket of choice.

I don't pay much attention to prices when I buy my food. I just buy what i need for the week and go to the till.

But my total bill is always significantly cheaper at Morrisons than it was at Tesco (my previous regular). Sometimes as much as £10-£15

I'm yet to work out what makes it quite so much cheaper. I think it's the chicken.

With the recent horse/beef contamination it was shown that only Morrisons had control over the supply chain as they owned it from source. Everyone else was buying it in from various suppliers and sub-suppliers and it got passed all over Europe before making it to the shelf.

I don't pay much attention to prices when I buy my food. I just buy what i need for the week and go to the till.

Aaaargh!

I'm sure that's one of the reasons supermarkets try and overcharge me on an item or more pretty much every time I go shopping (not just because you do it, Stevo, but that it seems to be quite standard).

Anecdotally, in order of shoddy practice/ineptitude (my cynicism lends me to believe it's mostly the former):

The Co-op;

Tesco;

Morrisons;

Waitrose;

Sainsbury's;

M&S;

Lidl.

Edit: I suppose the response ought to have gone in the other thread. :)

Edited by snowychap

I noticed last night, that after an initial dip, following Mozzers deciding to go down the Aldi / Lidl style "no frills" supermarket route, their prices are creeping up again. Also the quality of their own brands (especially porridge, mixed fresh fruit, and ready meals) has dipped considerably.

Aaaargh!

I'm sure that's one of the reasons supermarkets try and overcharge me on an item or more pretty much every time I go shopping (not just because you do it, Stevo, but that it seems to be quite standard).

Probably. 

I pay more attention to the overall price of my shopping as what I buy week to week is more or less always the same bar one or two items here and there.

It also doesn't help that I absolutely hate going to the supermarket. It's usually full of morons so I'm in and out as quickly as possible. Looking at prices and finding the bargains would keep me there too long!

Hardly use the big supermarkets anymore, meat and chicken I get from Makro, i can get 5kg of chicken breasts for £19.99, last time I checked in Asda 1kg was nearly 7 quid. Fruit and veg from aldi or lidl at half the cost of the big supermarkets. Lidl have recently started branching out into exotic fruits too so where as before you could only get papaya/mango/dragon fruit in big supermarkets lidl now sell them.

I can also do my weekly shop in about 15 minutes & not have the menace of supermarket shoppers that have to look up and down every isle at the pace of a tortoise on sedatives.

May have mentioned it before, but as much as I appreciate Aldi and Lidl are keeping their prices down, I find shopping there pretty depressing. It reminds me of when I used to got shopping with my Nan at Kwik Save, in Erdington when I was a kid. My local Aldi especially, is just like shopping in the early 80s.

There was a Netto near where I lived in Leeds.

You've never seen a more depressing shop.

It was like something out of a film. A film set in the future where humans have been turned into zombies and all supermarkets stock cheap, bland, indescript products

I went into a Netto the once and I had to buy something to get out because the only exits were through the tills and they were all full up of people. It was quite eerie in there to be honest.

Same. I know I could probably save a few quid by shopping at Asda or Tesco instead of M&S but I like Marks and Sparks and I know the layout so I am in and out in 10 mins!

May have mentioned it before, but as much as I appreciate Aldi and Lidl are keeping their prices down, I find shopping there pretty depressing. It reminds me of when I used to got shopping with my Nan at Kwik Save, in Erdington when I was a kid. My local Aldi especially, is just like shopping in the early 80s.

I used to get dragged around Kwik Save in New Oscott as a nipper (Its an Aldi now). A grim place, along with the Co-op on Erdington High Street,

Remember Bewise on Erdington High St? Had an owl on the sign... was that a grocery store? my memory fails me!

• Like 1

Â