Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Where did you go Stevo? My brother was out in Moseley with his team last night, you don't play for The Wing Jobs do you?

Nope.

We were out in Leamington.

And I got **** hammered.

I told a guy in the kebab shop after that he was being racist (I can't remember if he was or if I just said it) and his reply was, being totally serious, "I can't be racist, I've got a colour TV"

• Like 1

Dragging myself out of bed this morning, pulling my shin pads on, then getting a text from the gaffer that all games are postponed due to the weather. Straight back to bed. **** bliss. B)

I told a guy in the kebab shop after that he was being racist (I can't remember if he was or if I just said it) and his reply was, being totally serious, "I can't be racist, I've got a colour TV"

:crylaugh:

Dragging myself out of bed this morning, pulling my shin pads on, then getting a text from the gaffer that all games are postponed due to the weather. Straight back to bed. **** bliss. B)

All the games in our league were off...

... apart from ours :(

At least we won.

Nope.

We were out in Leamington.

And I got **** hammered.

I also learnt something else funny from the night out today.

I don't remember this because I was so drunk, but the rest of the team told me this morning that I pissed off some girl because, whilst pulling her, I managed to get the rest of the team to chant "Stevo Stevo Stevo" whilst I was doing it, and quite a lot of the other punters joined in.

Drunk Stevo is more fun than sober Stevo :D

:crylaugh:

In all seriousness, if you don't like playing, why do you? AKA, if you prefer bed to getting up to play in the cold/wet, why do you play. It shouldn't be a chore, but an enjoyment, a hobby/pastime.

If you welcome not having to do that pastime, why are you doing it?

I used to love my sunday league games, when I could still play to a decent level.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to answer it anyway :)

It's just one of those things where once you're there you enjoy it, and once you've done it you are glad you've done it.

And also for me, it's nights out like mine on Friday that make me glad I'm part of a team.

But waking up at 8am on a Sunday when it's nearly freezing and torrential rain isn't always the most appealing thing.

I'm glad I got up yesterday and played, but did I think that at 8am? Did I ****. I wanted to go back to bed!

Some weeks you're bang up for it, some weeks you're not.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to answer it anyway :)

It's just one of those things where once you're there you enjoy it, and once you've done it you are glad you've done it.

And also for me, it's nights out like mine on Friday that make me glad I'm part of a team.

But waking up at 8am on a Sunday when it's nearly freezing and torrential rain isn't always the most appealing thing.

I'm glad I got up yesterday and played, but did I think that at 8am? Did I ****. I wanted to go back to bed!

Some weeks you're bang up for it, some weeks you're not.

Maybe one of the reasons our team was sometimes down to 9 men come kick off. Some people obviously used to feel that way, and go the whole hog and not actually turn up :angry:

I knew that I had a game almost every sunday, so would usually wake up 'up for it'. If the game got cancelled, you'd often get that wound up tension that was difficult to get rid off. But I can kind of understand people not being up for it, and relishing a morning off. Just wasn't how I approached it, If I can remember that far back accurately :P

Oh we have people drop out last minute as well.

Realy really winds me up. It's one thign if we've got 15 players turning up. But I ran the team a couple of seasons ago and we had one week where there was 11 people turning up so we needed everyone there, and some word removed text me at 9:59 (no exagerration, we meet at 10am for games) saying he couldn't make it.

It's one thing to not be up for it, but if you've made a commitment to the team then you fulfill it.

I'm up for it most weeks, but days like yesterday are when I can't be arsed. I don't mind the cold, but wind and rain are horrible. Especially for a keeper. It's not like you're running round keeping warm.

(incidentally yesterday was one of the quietest games I've had. Considering the state of the pitch (mud bath) I was the cleanest player on the pitch by the end. Didn't have to make a single dive all game!)

. I don't mind the cold, but wind and rain are horrible. Especially for a keeper. It's not like you're running round keeping warm.

(

But you can legitimately wear more layers, and even tracky bottoms. :mrgreen:

Driving, freeezing cold rain was the worst, You could almost feel yourself freezing up at times.

Yep. There was one game last season when I forgot my extra layer that I wear on colder days and it was cold, windy, soaking wet, heavy rain.

I have never asked to be subbed in my life. But after about an hour of that game I was so close to asking to be substituted. I honestly don't think I've ever been so cold and miserable.

Didn't even wait to shake hands after the game. Full time whistle went and I literally turned round and ran back to the changing room :)

In all seriousness, if you don't like playing, why do you? AKA, if you prefer bed to getting up to play in the cold/wet, why do you play. It shouldn't be a chore, but an enjoyment, a hobby/pastime.

If you welcome not having to do that pastime, why are you doing it?

I used to love my sunday league games, when I could still play to a decent level.

Who said I don't like playing? I **** love it. I've missed all of one game this season through injury, and even then I still came down to watch the lads (and surreptitiously check my understudy didn't have a good enough game to oust me from the starting line-up :twisted:). I threw up after a particularly bumpy car-ride to our last Hampshire cup game, shat my intestines out in the dressing room and still wanted to play (I, ahem, maintain those events had nothing to do with us losing 4-1). Only got back home from a trip to London ridiculously late on the Saturday night, so getting a reprieve at 8:30 in the morning, after I'd hauled my ass out of a warm bed and noticed it had been pissing down all night, was fantastic.

I play in a 6 a side and a 5 a side league. I don't realllllly like playing in the 6 a side league, but I do so because I've nothing better to do at that time on a Monday (missus is in uni) and more specifically, it's an excuse to meet a few new people in the area. But I don't really like it and am always looking for excuses not to play.

this just made me smile

"I'm just so happy. I'm going to buy me a pair of Reeboks."

it was said by some woman from California whose just found out she has won £23m on the lottery :)

Â