Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

British Gas have had some bad rep on here lately but I've just been pleasantly surprised by them.

Due to my own inability to keep my personal finances in order I realised that I've been paying for their homecare service (boiler insurance basically) for 2 years after i sold the property that I needed it for.

So I phoned them up to cancel it and as for a refund for the months I've paid and haven't used it.

I expected a fight to be honest. I assumed they'd say it was my fault I didn't cancel it (I think i did but I have no proof) and assumed I MIGHT be able to get a refund of say half as a goodwill gesture but even that might be pushing it.

They've refunded me the lot. £955. Pretty much zero questions asked. Just checked that I hadn't actually used the service so I wasn't pulling a fast one and said it'll go through in 7 days.

Pleasantly surprised!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

(I think i did but I have no proof

I expect that they'd be on to a loser, because someone else will have taken over the house and be paying for energy, so the evidence will be there that your account for that address ended 2 years ago. But still, nice for it to be so simple.

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

British Gas have had some bad rep on here lately but I've just been pleasantly surprised by them.

Due to my own inability to keep my personal finances in order I realised that I've been paying for their homecare service (boiler insurance basically) for 2 years after i sold the property that I needed it for.

So I phoned them up to cancel it and as for a refund for the months I've paid and haven't used it.

I expected a fight to be honest. I assumed they'd say it was my fault I didn't cancel it (I think i did but I have no proof) and assumed I MIGHT be able to get a refund of say half as a goodwill gesture but even that might be pushing it.

They've refunded me the lot. £955. Pretty much zero questions asked. Just checked that I hadn't actually used the service so I wasn't pulling a fast one and said it'll go through in 7 days.

Pleasantly surprised!

Good to get that back. £955 sounds a lot for 2 years cover though. Could get a brand new boiler for that much. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Good to get that back. £955 sounds a lot for 2 years cover though. Could get a brand new boiler for that much. 

Not far off, I'm having one in two weeks, £1100 with all the associated bits.

And I'm currently in a queue to cancel my British Gas homecare boiler cover as

a) new boiler has a parts and labour warranty for 7 years and

b) I've found out BG have been servicing the boiler for years in our new place but not checking the flue as it's inaccessible. And saying they have.

Edited by rjw63

• VT Supporter
14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not far off, I'm having one in two weeks, £1100 with all the associated bits.

And I'm currently in a queue to cancel my British Gas homecare boiler cover as

a) new boiler has a parts and labour warranty for 7 years and

b) I've found out BG have been servicing the boiler for years in our new place but not checking the flue as it's inaccessible. And saying they have.

Don't think I've ever got the homecare option. Just pay for an annual service. Not overly keen on those at £60-70 a go just to say 'yeah, it's only 12 months old so it's fine'. 

Edited by Rds1983

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Don't think I've ever got the homecate option. Just pay for an annual service. Not overly keen on those at £60-70 a go just to say 'yeah, it's only 12 months old so it's fine'. 

The one in my property is 19 years old and the Homecare was only £16.50 per month. But I don't need it now.

• VT Supporter

Boiler care, plumbing cover etc are those kinds of policies you need to move every year.  New customers get stupidly cheap cover that creeps up each year.

Maybe i'm being blasé but never bothered with boiler cover or mobile phone cover. I'd have spent more in cover than the cost of a new one many times over. 

I do have car breakdown cover though, although I get it through work for £3 a month and its through a corporate provider so not available to the general public. As a result the waiting time is about 30 mins max. I've used it twice in 10 years.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Maybe i'm being blasé but never bothered with boiler cover or mobile phone cover. I'd have spent more in cover than the cost of a new one many times over. 

I do have car breakdown cover though, although I get it through work for £3 a month and its through a corporate provider so not available to the general public. As a result the waiting time is about 30 mins max. I've used it twice in 10 years.

Yup, I consider it self-insuring. A grand for 2 years of boiler insurance is absolutely mental. I've never paid for that in the 6 years of owning my house. If the boiler packs in and needs replacing, I'm still well ahead.

It's the same as all insurance though; the average insuree is going to come ahead self-insuring (saving the money they'd pay in insurance and putting it aside) compared to buying insurance which has the insurers overheads and requirement to make a profit.  The average person can cover it themselves for less, the luckier people will never pay a penny, but the unluckiest  might have bigger bills than the insurance costs, so it all comes down to risk appetite really.

I only have insurance when I'm legally required (car) or contractually required (building insurance), I roll the dice on everything else and so far I'm quids in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

the average insuree is going to come ahead self-insuring (saving the money they'd pay in insurance and putting it aside) compared to buying insurance which has the insurers overheads and requirement to make a profit. 

You are right, but we all know 90% of the populace has no ability to put money aside and will just waste it on dreck and when they do need to buy a new boiler/phone, they won't have the money. Insurance works for them. 

Not a problem for misers like us ;) 

46 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah my boiler was absolutely shit.

I had the cover because I was renting the place out so if there were any problems with the boiler it would be easy to get someone out. And I did have to. A couple of times. I think that's why it was so high! 40 something a month.

If I'd kept the house for this long I@d have replaced it but obviously  I didn't expect to be paying for another 2 years :) 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I expect that they'd be on to a loser, because someone else will have taken over the house and be paying for energy, so the evidence will be there that your account for that address ended 2 years ago. But still, nice for it to be so simple.

Yeah that's what I thought and I was ready with proof that I'd sold the place to play the "why would I pay for something at a property I don't live at" card

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Long term you're right. But I got it originally because the boiler broke and I couldn't afford a new one at the time, didn't know how much the repairs would be and didn't know how long I'd have the place so didn't think it was worth a new one. British Gas offered to fix it for free if I signed up to their homecare thing for a year so I did.

Like I said I only had it this long because they failed to cancel it and I'm too shit with bills to notice :)

• Like 1

As for phone cover that depends on the phone. When I dropped my phone last year and cracked the screen it would have been the price of a new phone to repair it (yes, it's Apple) so the couple of quid a month for insurance on that is well worth it. I don't wantt o fork out for a new phone when I drop my current one a few months into owning it. 

@Stevo985 As you were renting the place out, then insurance/cover does make more sense as you are at mercy of the tenants and you can never tell how destructive they can be. Hence landlord insurance!

In terms of insurance, I also have travel insurance, but thats a perk of my current account and doesn't cost me anything. Having seen a mate cut an artery in Cambodia, its definitely something worth having! 

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â