Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

16 minutes ago, blandy said:
On 27/06/2021 at 09:45, blandy said:

I can’t remember if I posted this before, but a friend/colleague (let’s call him Mark Keeley) used to have Pizza with carrots and gravy in the old works canteen. I’m almost certain that is what led to the building being demolished and replaced by a canteen that no longer made the eating of  such things possible.

On 03/06/2021 at 15:13, blandy said:

At our old works canteen they used to do pizzas like that (ish) every now and again. A lad I worked with use to have them for his dinner....with carrots and gravy piled on top.

Double food crime FFS. Firstly the doughy canteen pizza, then the over-cooked tinned carrots and then (as much as I like a good gravy) canteen gravy on top.

You have seen 1st hand or been a part of some very dark,  dark things in your past. A 1000 yard stare,  flashbacks a a side salad of PTSD I don't doubt.   😀

• Haha 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Love capers but never see them as an option. I'd also still want the Tuna. 

Being serious for a moment they just add something to the Anchovies and Olives. For me, the Tuna (though I love good tuna) is too much topping for a pizza.

I once worked in Sicily for a few weeks, and for all but a couple of days we went to the nearest restaurant for our tea/evening meal. It was a pizza place and I had every version on the menu, then went back to the start. The Olives, Anchovies, capers one was the best and the worst (but still ok) was one with tuna and eggs and stuff on it. None of them had pineapple and there was (rightly) no gravy in sight. Beer or wine drink was the permitted moist accompaniment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

KFC got my order wrong once and gave me gravy instead of beans… I enjoyed the gravy much more than I thought I would.

Isn't KFC basically all about the gravy? That and the skin. They don't have the gravy in Poland which is a travesty, I did have a good go at making it myself once but that would take the sort of planning to go with an actual KFC meal that contradicts the state of a person who is in need of a KFC.

• Like 2

I am doing some Power Bi practice so I grabbed a dataset from ESPN.

"Toughest sports by skill set required"

1. Boxing - Agreed,  no question.

2. Ice Hockey - Hmm,  I am seeing a problem develop.

3. American Football -  Hmm, not going well at all,  durability for NFL required = 8.5 / 10 (As the NFL games don't stop at all for any reason this seems 100 % legit)

4. Basketball - It's not really a sport,  but you need "Analytical Aptitude" of 7.3 / 10.   Run / Turnaround / Run / Turnaround.  With out this you keep on running out the stadium.

5. Wrestling - forget it I stop now.  "Analytical Aptitude" required of 6.3 / 10 required for WWF.  

Football is 10th 😀 ESPN proper know sport.

WTF is wrong with pineapple on pizza?

Along with spicy chicken, garlic, chilies, mushrooms...it's superb.

I buy a round garlic bread to use as a base and put all the other stuff on myself. With plenty of cheese, oh and did I say chillies?

Yum yum.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

Being serious for a moment they just add something to the Anchovies and Olives. For me, the Tuna (though I love good tuna) is too much topping for a pizza.

I once worked in Sicily for a few weeks, and for all but a couple of days we went to the nearest restaurant for our tea/evening meal. It was a pizza place and I had every version on the menu, then went back to the start. The Olives, Anchovies, capers one was the best and the worst (but still ok) was one with tuna and eggs and stuff on it. None of them had pineapple and there was (rightly) no gravy in sight. Beer or wine drink was the permitted moist accompaniment.

Tuna can sometimes be a bit dry on a pizza if over cooked. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

(Note I have never been within 500 miles of Thailand or been with a prostitute)

reminds me when we were a the cricket once  .

play was a bit slow  , We'd had quite a lot to drink chatting quietly amongst ourselves and we were talking about what to do for my 50th ( a couple of years away at that time)

we wanted something unforgettable , talked about various options , all dismissed as not exciting enough   , so I said " maybe go to Thailand and get banged by a lady boy   ?" 

a bloke about 10 rows in front turned around and kinda shouted back to us  " done that mate , its not worth it " 

probably also explains why I wake the family up when I come home from the pub in stealth Ninja mode 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I happen to like the taste of a syphilitic Bangkok prostitutes minge so I'm ok with anchovies

But you do know what syphilitic minge tastes like? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Chips and gravy is proper, legal, northern food. Pizza is Italian food. Italians don't have gravy on pizza, because it's .... beyond the pale. It's the science law* that Pizza has to be of the variety(ies) available in that there Italy. Anything else is wrong.

*for citation see signature.

I once had to entertain a delegation from Chicago for work. One of them properly fell out with me because I called her out on her contention that Pizza wasn't invented in Chicago. I mentioned the Italians, even wen't as far as to suggest the ancient Greeks had something very similar to pizza and therefore could potentially lodge a claim to have invented it. Nope - she wasn't having it. Chicago invented the pizza - end of. 

So affronted was she with my misinformation, she didn't speak to me for the rest of their stay. That was totally fine with me - especially when one of her colleagues pulled me to one side and told me that she was the bully of the office and nobody ever told her she was wrong. Apparently all of the rest of the Chicagoans (Chicago-uns?) thought it was all hilarious and they still reference pizza-gate regularly several years later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I might sometimes mix it up and have sweetcorn instead. 

One of the joys of my life is when unexpectedly (usually at my mother's for Sunday Lunch) there is sweetcorn mixed in with the peas.  It's normally a Christmas only treat. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, choffer said:

I once had to entertain a delegation from Chicago for work. One of them properly fell out with me because I called her out on her contention that Pizza wasn't invented in Chicago. I mentioned the Italians, even wen't as far as to suggest the ancient Greeks had something very similar to pizza and therefore could potentially lodge a claim to have invented it. Nope - she wasn't having it. Chicago invented the pizza - end of. 

So affronted was she with my misinformation, she didn't speak to me for the rest of their stay. That was totally fine with me - especially when one of her colleagues pulled me to one side and told me that she was the bully of the office and nobody ever told her she was wrong. Apparently all of the rest of the Chicagoans (Chicago-uns?) thought it was all hilarious and they still reference pizza-gate regularly several years later.

Jesus, next you'll be trying to claim that Birmingham didn't invent the curry! 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I happen to like the taste of a syphilitic Bangkok prostitutes minge so I'm ok with anchovies

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Jesus, next you'll be trying to claim that Birmingham didn't invent the curry! 

Chocolate for me, the chocolate bar was invented in brum

The anger with which my wife denounces this... Usually ending with it doesn't matter where it was invented because cadburys is shit 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Chocolate for me, the chocolate bar was invented in brum

The anger with which my wife denounces this... Usually ending with it doesn't matter where it was invented because cadburys is shit 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47l40fc962ahikx49jhx

And don't anyone come on here saying the Americans have ruined it.  It's still be best chocolate around by a mile.

At least they've not made it taste like dogshit flavour Hersheys.

• Like 2

I agree the yanks haven't ruined the base recipe

What they have done though is pushed the varients too far, same as other manufacturers though, the chocolate bar is being neglected in favour of the grab bag and the slab

You can level the argument at other products too, walkers crisps is a never ending cycle of special editions whilst diminishing the quality of their base product (now with 72% more air) 

That's the business model, monthly offers of a price drop to £1 on the products they want to push, constant new flavours whilst the original products decrease in size but increase in price 

Â