Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

^^^^^

What he said. 

We regularly walk on all those. Both wi' and baht 'at. 

We need to get back up on Rombalds before we move to Cheshire in a few weeks/months. Going to miss them and only a mile up the hill. Shame the pubs are closed as love walking from Dick Hudsons over to the Cow and Calf and having a pint or two in each. Although last time we did that we saw a climber fall at the Cow and break their leg! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Shame the pubs are closed as love walking from Dick Hudsons over to the Cow and Calf and having a pint or two in each

Yep. Done that loads of times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Will be Harden Moor I think. 

Ilkely is a few miles in the other direction. Ilkley Moor (Cow and Calf rocks etc) is also just a tiny bit of the larger Rombalds Moor which nobody has heard of and is named after a local legend of a wife beating giant who fought with other giants. 

Well that's messed up my planned, weak joke of asking "where's that?" then. 

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well that's messed up my planned, weak joke of asking "where's that?" then. 

Sorry, I can go back and edit my post if you really need me to. 

• Haha 2

Rattling through the ‘to do’ list today.

Been up the allotment stuck the broad beans in and spread 6 bags of compost around (from the compost bins at home).

Ordered cast iron ‘fire pit’ from that amazon so my life can be a little bit more love island.

Ordered 21 cans for £33 from Camden Brewery because I’m down to 1 last can from my Christmas stock.

Booked my next recycling tip slot because I’ve just smashed up the old garden play house which weirdly lasted so well, the kids are now in Uni.

Considering first mow of front lawn...

The Inbetweeners episode where they bunk off school and get drunk is on telly right now. 

It's just so so funny, one of the best episodes. 

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The boy found my old Walkman cassette player the other day so tonight I dug out some old cassettes from the loft 

have just given the boy an education he will thank me for by introducing him to this classic  album

forgot just how much I loved “flag day”

I was on a lads holiday around 1985 and met this girl from Hull who did nothing but go on about a local band from Hull and how they were going to be huge , she had a demo tape of Happy Hour and low and behold 6 months later there were the Housemartins on top of the pops 

ah memories 

F67FBD1E-D638-4172-8137-3C57237073B9.jpeg

I was playing this album a week or two back myself. I have all of their releases and as bands go they were consistently great on a sides and b sides. Really didn’t put a foot wrong for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I was playing this album a week or two back myself. I have all of their releases and as bands go they were consistently great on a sides and b sides. Really didn’t put a foot wrong for me. 

Yeah I should dig out my other albums and get some of the album tracks a spin , people who grinned themselves to death had some decent tracks and of course “build”

They were quite self deprecating on the sleeve notes on “now that’s what I call quite good” if I recall , a band having fun 

The boys form teacher is about my age so he loves to go in and talk music with him , teacher hasn’t be phased by talk of Suede , James , Pulp etc but I reckon Sir will be stumped with the Housemartins ... that said the teacher will be a rabid leftie so he’s probably got a poster of Paul Heaton on his wall :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

When The Beautiful South split up, didn't their official press release say it was due to "Musical Similarities" 

It did.

Used to bump into Paul Heaton a few times round Withington/West Didsbury when I lived there, great bloke. Jacqui loves meeting everyone at their gigs since the comeback too, “hiya love, y’alright?”

And the singer from Everything Everything in Fallowfield once.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It did.

Used to bump into Paul Heaton a few times round Withington/West Didsbury when I lived there, great bloke. Jacqui loves meeting everyone at their gigs since the comeback too, “hiya love, y’alright?”

And the singer from Everything Everything in Fallowfield once.

I played football in a jumpers for goalposts game with Heaton in a park in St Helen's once (He's a friend of a friend)

We also put the Housemartins on once (1985?) in the Mandela Bar in Liverpool

• Like 3

New York state expects to collect $1.2b in cannabis sales tax over the next 2 years. Billion. They plan on funding neglected areas that were targeted in the so called War on drugs. Every state should be doing this and the UK too.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, maqroll said:

New York state expects to collect $1.2b in cannabis sales tax over the next 2 years. Billion. They plan on funding neglected areas that were targeted in the so called War on drugs. Every state should be doing this and the UK too.

Same with prostitution, legalise it, control it, make it safer, tax it 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Same with prostitution, legalise it, control it, make it safer, tax it 

Not so sure legalising prostitution would raise anywhere near the same tax revenue. Legalised sex workers would more than likely be part of the gig-economy and probably won't be being strictly honest with yer collector of revenues

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not so sure legalising prostitution would raise anywhere near the same tax revenue. Legalised sex workers would more than likely be part of the gig-economy and probably won't be being strictly honest with yer collector of revenues

About a billion a year in Germany, the story is apparently they did it thinking that it would reduce the numbers, it didn't they almost quadrupled 

There's been a fair few closures due to the rona though, the big one in cologne has gone 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Dust off the astros baby, dug out the old shinnies , roll out the old football socks, alice band on the ready.

Five a side is back and I am going full kit rocket polisher just for the hell of it!!

Just leaving for training with my lad, I had to tell him to leave the “Grealish headband” at home :lol: 

On 29/03/2021 at 16:56, rodders0223 said:

Dust off the astros baby, dug out the old shinnies , roll out the old football socks, alice band on the ready.

Five a side is back and I am going full kit rocket polisher just for the hell of it!!

I played 7s tonight. First time I've played football since Christmas 2019. It felt absolutely glorious.

Â