Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

People talk about 80s music as the music in the charts in the 80s. Which was shitter than Johnny Shit, king of shit mountain. Thats why I hate 80s music. The stuff I like that was produced in the 80s, I don’t think of it as 80s music.  

Well, yes. You could say that of any decade. There are people of my generation whose only memories (good or bad) of 60s popular music are the big chart hits. They've probably never heard of any of the psychedelic/west coast/progressive/country-rock/folk-rock/blues/etc. album-oriented acts that I associate with the era. 

On 19/01/2021 at 10:29, BOF said:

I do.

Bought my first Reggae album in 2013 as a response to an old friend repeatedly asking me to put some on over many years, knowing I didn't own any :)

My personal feeling on this matter is that 'Cardova' by the Meters > Reggae.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Bought my first Reggae album in 2013 as a response to an old friend repeatedly asking me to put some on over many years, knowing I didn't own any :)

There is a theory that reggae has its origins in the influence of New Orleans music (Fats Domino, Allen Toussaint, et al) from just across the water, with the Jamaican studio musicians attempting to copy the rhythm and coming up with a modified version. 

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

That was OK but then it wasn't reggae and they don't describe themselves as reggae. I do like a bit of funk.

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There is a theory that reggae has its origins in the influence of New Orleans music (Fats Domino, Allen Toussaint, et al) from just across the water, with the Jamaican studio musicians attempting to copy the rhythm and coming up with a modified version. 

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

That was OK but then it wasn't reggae and they don't describe themselves as reggae. I do like a bit of funk.

Reggae covering Funk can be rewarding.

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Reggae covering Funk can be rewarding.

Reveal hidden contents

A bit like @tonyh29's male masseuse, you're intent on sailing close to the wind here aren't you? :P Although, again, this is only vaguely like what I would regard as reggae. Certainly the mainstream stuff anyway.

• Haha 1

C’mon people, we surely don’t want the full power point history of music, chapter 7 calypso to ska to rocksteady to reggae to dub TED Talk do we?

The whole of that musical ‘genre’ is derivative and innovative, just like all music, everywhere.

They wanted to copy the exotic sounds they were hearing from overseas, blended in with their home grown musical preferences, just like all music, everywhere.

A lack of cutting edge recording equipment and a lack of decent instruments meant that decent imaginative musicians had to improvise, just like all musicians, everywhere.

Many of those guys were in to jazz and brought a little of that to the ska ska ska party every now and again.

There is a Mycorrhizal network from West Indian ska to Chuck Berry, Merseybeat, Beastie Boys and some kid banging out the tunes on Kurupt FM.

As the Rev Jesse Jackson quite rightly said...

Today on this program you will hear gospel, and rhythm and blues, and jazz. All those are just labels. We know that music is music”

Music is music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's somewhat more complicated that this but for more of that over to the Map Cave!

• Like 1

Fitting after today’s discussion that I’m now watching Top of the Pops , the story of 1981 on BBC2

they blotted it slightly by mentioning shakin stevens and cliff richard but it just confirms my 80’s comments previously 

riots on the streets and from the Ashes You get Ghost Town by the specials 

some great music and that’s just 1981

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 15:59, mjmooney said:

You mean the big band stuff? Ellington, Basie, etc.? Certainly more accessible than some other subgenres. I never try to persuade people about music, it's just down to unfathomable preferences. My preferred style is probably 1950s hard bop - small group jamming stuff, epitomised by the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Charles Mingus et al. I can easily see why some people would hate it, but for me it's tied up with a romanticised image of the postwar, pre-rock'n'roll urban USA - Kerouac and the beat poets, Chandleresque crime novels, classic b&w film noir, cold war paranoia and hip junkie musicians in smoke-filled night clubs. All to be vicariously experienced in the safety of my imagination. Doesn't everybody do that? Just me, then? Oh, OK... 

I'm watching a good Miles documentary on Amazon. Draws a lot from his autobiography which is also excellent. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Fitting after today’s discussion that I’m now watching Top of the Pops , the story of 1981 on BBC2

they blotted it slightly by mentioning shakin stevens and cliff richard but it just confirms my 80’s comments previously 

riots on the streets and from the Ashes You get Ghost Town by the specials 

some great music and that’s just 1981

Been watching it whilst doing a running commentary with a couple of mates. Best of times, worst of times sort of vibe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Been watching it whilst doing a running commentary with a couple of mates. Best of times, worst of times sort of vibe.

Loved seeing Boy George before he was famous dancing in the audience to The Jets ...

• Like 1

It was a weird old time, I’d happily buy stuff by Soft Cell, Imagination, Jam, Stranglers, Specials, Shakatak, Human League, a genuine mixed bag. I used to drive my mates nuts, they’d only only only want to listen to bands off the approved list, and I’d bring along Being Boiled by Human League.

Then I would really really hate on stuff that was in any way ‘rock’ or those old fart rock and prog groups and Genesis or Dire Straits type stuff.

But then stuff like The Jets, or Shakin Stevens or Mud or Showaddywaddy or whatever, I just had no thought on them at all. I’d just pause myself until it was over. Until i was watching that, I’d utterly forgotten all that stuff, **** me, stuff like Stray Cats. Odd stuff.

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d utterly forgotten all that stuff, **** me, stuff like Stray Cats.

The Stray Cats were actually one of the brighter spots of the early 80s. Great live band. Brian Setzer was, and is, a superb guitarist. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Stray Cats were actually one of the brighter spots of the early 80s. Great live band. Brian Setzer was, and is, a superb guitarist. 

We must never draw each other in the VT mixtape lucky dip.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Loved seeing Boy George before he was famous dancing in the audience to The Jets ...

Completely off topic but there's a clip out there of a programme called Something Else and an episode filmed in Brum (different city each week) where the living and working in Brum Boy George is featured in the audience and he actually asks a question in the show. I really wish I could find that clip again just to show a mate of mine to prove I'm not imaging this whole thing. Really wish I could find that clip again (I've tried)

The pre-Boy George O'Dowd used to run a stall in Oasis, down in the basement where all the Alternative stuff was. He sold the most ludicrously overpriced mohair jumpers (The ones that were more holes than jumpers) and had his hair cut into a box shape. This will have been just before the New Romantic scene happened but there was clearly some Bowie influence going on there

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We must never draw each other in the VT mixtape lucky dip.

Don't get me wrong - I don't own any Stray Cats records, and hearing them would just evoke that godawful era anyway. But I did go to one of their gigs, just because I'm a guitar geek, and that lad's bloody good. 

Â