Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 18/01/2021 at 10:31, BOF said:

This made me think of an idea though.  What does everyone think is the best song in their least favourite genre?  I'll have to go away and have a think about it. It's an exercise in which reggae song do I hate the least.

Can I have Beastie Boys as rap artists ? 
If so , then I give you the best “rap” song 

I should add Jazz is by far the worst genre , however I refuse to acknowledge it as music hence the vote for rap 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

If I had to have a least worst Beatles song it would be Tomorrow Never Knows but it would have to be performed by someone else

In the eternal Lennon v McCartney debate, it’s safe to say Team John will be celebrating this hard fought victory tonight.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Can I have Beastie Boys as rap artists ? 
If so , then I give you the best “rap” song 

I should add Jazz is by far the worst genre , however I refuse to acknowledge it as music hence the vote for rap 

If you're struggling with the generic 'jazz' then try swing jazz. It's much more accessible and is the best kind IMO. I wouldn't call myself a jazz fan but I am a swing jazz fan. 

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

If you're struggling with the generic 'jazz' then try swing jazz. It's much more accessible and is the best kind IMO. I wouldn't call myself a jazz fan but I am a swing jazz fan. 

You mean the big band stuff? Ellington, Basie, etc.? Certainly more accessible than some other subgenres. I never try to persuade people about music, it's just down to unfathomable preferences. My preferred style is probably 1950s hard bop - small group jamming stuff, epitomised by the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Charles Mingus et al. I can easily see why some people would hate it, but for me it's tied up with a romanticised image of the postwar, pre-rock'n'roll urban USA - Kerouac and the beat poets, Chandleresque crime novels, classic b&w film noir, cold war paranoia and hip junkie musicians in smoke-filled night clubs. All to be vicariously experienced in the safety of my imagination. Doesn't everybody do that? Just me, then? Oh, OK... 

• Like 1

@mjmooney I wouldn't persuade, but if someone is struggling to enjoy, or they're writing off an enormous genre of music then I'd help them get a foot in the door. Then maybe they get an appreciation for it; lose the suspicion and then progress from there. Swing is definitely a gateway (geddit?) into jazz. I'm not a big Duke fan tbh. Piano doesn't typically do it for me. All about the brass or a clarinet.

• Like 1

The only things I can think of that are utterly irredeemable are country and western and 80s music, everything else I can find a fair bit to enjoy.  Bands it's a bit easier to find one you hate but like one particular song of theirs, I think we've done that before though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

If I had to have a least worst Beatles song it would be Tomorrow Never Knows but it would have to be performed by someone else

I seem to recall someone did a cover version a good few years back .... it was so bad you’d be yearning for the original

edit - a Google on yahoo reveals it was Phil Collins , which explains why it was terrible..

here it is so you can suffer as I did 

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I was out in Krakow pissed one night  ( well early morning to be accurate) , and had that ultimate dilemma ... go home or go to the only place that was still open , which happened to be a Jazz club ( this was around 1998 before krakow became a lads weekend destination so it wasn’t as spoilt for choice bar wise as it is now )

my love of all night binge drinking won the day but by god it was dreadful on the ears , my mate bailed after about 20 mins he couldn’t stands no more , I called it a night around 6  am but if I could relieve that night again I’d definitely take the early night :)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The only things I can think of that are utterly irredeemable are country and western and 80s music, everything else I can find a fair bit to enjoy.  Bands it's a bit easier to find one you hate but like one particular song of theirs, I think we've done that before though.

if you erase SAW and the similar bland over produced shite it spawned from your memory banks , 80’s music is still the best decade for music ... the good music was edgy and topical , it was about 3m unemployed , riots , fear of nuclear war ( obviously written before thatcher got her second and third terms  and saved the country :) ) ... not like now where the only angst song writers seem to have is they can’t find a Starbucks or forgot the Wi-fi password 

• Like 1

Stop That Train, Clint Eastwood & General Saint, released on Greensleeves in 1983.

To hear that come on in a decent loud venue, and have someone to dance with, man, if that was the only song issued in the 80’s it would make the 80’s one of the best music decades ever.

Twelve solid inches, still available on discogs for the best £2.99 you’ll ever spend.

I need, I need, I need a woman
(Big-a jump, hey-a)
I want, I want, I want a good one
(Oh yeah, me wanna)
'Cause if you miss the train I'm on
And then you'll know that I am gone
And you can hear the whistle blow five hundred miles
Five hundred miles, five hundred miles
Was he so damn sit on the voodoo file
And you can hear the whistle blow five hundred miles

Â