Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

18 hours ago, blandy said:

I went to Rotto, where there's loads of 'em. There's no cars on the island and they are not afraid of pedestrians. Anyway, after cycling round the island and seeing and photographing loads of them, I sat down on a bench to drink a surreptitious beer (no drinking outdoors in the place I was sat) and I heard some movement under the bench I was sitting on. This little face looked up at me.

But that's not the reason to post this. When I got back to the UK, I watched a Ray Mears TV prog on Aussie wildlife and he was in a hide (on the mainland) "hoping to catch a glimpse of the shy Quokka", and was duly delighted to catch a view of one half concealed by the vegetation. It made me question the whole premise of some of these wildlife progs.

I've been to WA three times and still haven't been to rottnest island ☹️

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Does this mean you don't like classical? 

A lot of it does nothing for me, but some I like - I've got some classical music, mostly either piano stuff, or more recently made stuff. Albums by violinists (no, not Nige, Sarah Neufeld - Hero Brother ) or Cellists (Clarice Jensen - For this From that Will be filled, and "the experience of repetition as death") as well as Steve Reich and Reinbert De Leeuw and Phillip Glass, International Contemporary Ensemble and ...etc.

But much less of it than any other main genre apart from Jazz (nice!) 

17 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I've been to WA three times and still haven't been to rottnest island ☹️

It's worth a trip, if you go again, I'd say. The main reason is the Quokkas, but there's also the big old gun and lookout tower/lighthouse and the views across the Perth and the relative lack of people away from the harbour. I went there when swallows were nesting and rearing young and they too, like the Quokkas were unbothered by people and so you could watch and film them really close without causing them any distress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

This made me think of an idea though.  What does everyone think is the best song in their least favourite genre?  I'll have to go away and have a think about it. It's an exercise in which reggae song do I hate the least.

It would be something in the Jazz genre for me - definitely the one 'main' genre that I've never really got. I honestly couldn't name too many Jazz classics off the top of my head.

Maybe Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway? I listened to some Miles Davis once and that was decent but not the sort of thing I could listen to for long.

The one good thing about 1980s pop music being so irredeemably shit was that it drove me headlong into classical and jazz. Which make up the biggest part of my listening to this day. 

I’d be another one that is unsure even of whether something has a distinct genre of music.

Would Queen, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath all basically be the same thing? Because all of that stuff is a vast black hole of ignorance for me. I can’t stand any of it until it begins to merge in to more bluesy or country elements. So, typically, I’d be fine with The Yardbirds heavier stuff, but really quite wary of anything Pink Floyd or Cream. Based on pre conceived prejudice as much as actual band by band, track by track knowledge.

I’m sat here with, I guess, about 400 vinyl albums behind me. Unless The Who are in there somewhere I would struggle to find you a ‘rock’ album.

So in short, best song in least favourite genre?

Who Says A Funk Band Can’t Play Rock?, by Funkadelic.

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So in short, best song in least favourite genre?

Who Says A Funk Band Can’t Play Rock?, by Funkadelic

It's kinda cheating to pick a track where the band are playing OUTSIDE their usual genre, though. So I wouldn't choose - say - 'Maggot Brain' for funk, or 'Laguna Sunrise' for metal. I don't know whether 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' qualifies as rap. If it does, I'll have that. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's kinda cheating to pick a track where the band are playing OUTSIDE their usual genre, though. So I wouldn't choose - say - 'Maggot Brain' for funk, or 'Laguna Sunrise' for metal. I don't know whether 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' qualifies as rap. If it does, I'll have that. 

I knew most people would understand what I was trying to achieve. You just accept there'll be troublemakers when you make the OP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

I knew most people would understand what I was trying to achieve. You just accept there'll be troublemakers when you make the OP.

You been involved in sorting out Brexit fishing paperwork by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It would be something in the Jazz genre for me - definitely the one 'main' genre that I've never really got.

:) 'Pink Panther', 'Bullitt', 'The Taking Of Pelham 123'?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You been involved in sorting out Brexit fishing paperwork by any chance?

You've got him floundering with that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOF said:

This made me think of an idea though.  What does everyone think is the best song in their least favourite genre?  I'll have to go away and have a think about it. It's an exercise in which reggae song do I hate the least.

Yeah, would have to be Reggae.  Can't stand it. One in Ten by UB40 maybe. 

On 17/01/2021 at 09:28, blandy said:

I went to Rotto, where there's loads of 'em. There's no cars on the island and they are not afraid of pedestrians. Anyway, after cycling round the island and seeing and photographing loads of them, I sat down on a bench to drink a surreptitious beer (no drinking outdoors in the place I was sat) and I heard some movement under the bench I was sitting on. This little face looked up at me.

But that's not the reason to post this. When I got back to the UK, I watched a Ray Mears TV prog on Aussie wildlife and he was in a hide (on the mainland) "hoping to catch a glimpse of the shy Quokka", and was duly delighted to catch a view of one half concealed by the vegetation. It made me question the whole premise of some of these wildlife progs.

If you lay on the floor near them, they will literally hop over and take a selfie with you. Friendliest animals alive, but one Jack Russell could wipe out the entire species in about an hour.

12418805_10156329961855524_6135300610756153544_o.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, would have to be Reggae.  Can't stand it. One in Ten by UB40 maybe. 

Yeah I would say UB40 are everyone’s favourite reggae band when it comes down to it. 

Â