Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

How do they tackle the merciless bullying that Dennis dished out to Walter and his cronies. Surely that can't play well nowadays? 

From what I’ve seen Dennis doesn’t beat up Walter, or bully him at all really. Walter is much more of a schemer, very spoilt. 

Think of it as Dennis is essentially Bart Simpson, a handful, but heart’s in the right place, and Walter is a bit like a malicious Martin Prince.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xela said:

How do they tackle the merciless bullying that Dennis dished out to Walter and his cronies. Surely that can't play well nowadays? 

It's shit, and very PC. No bullying, no getting slippered by his dad, but some obligatory female, non-white and disabled characters. Not that I have any objection to all that, but make it a completely new story, not Dennis the Menace. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's shit, and very PC. No bullying, no getting slippered by his dad, but some obligatory female, non-white and disabled characters. Not that I have any objection to all that, but make it a completely new story, not Dennis the Menace. 

My kid will happily watch 2-3 episodes therefore giving me 20-30 minutes of respite.

Like you, I might have made similar objections once. But it’s been half term with limited things to do outside the house, and it turns out my need to sit down and have a cup of tea is far more important than having the source material respected.

9 hours ago, Xela said:

The fact my Dad is now an expert on 80's action figures!

Over the last few months my Dad has been ebaying all my old toys. Barely anything was thrown away and they have survived 30-35 years boxed up and been through 2 house moves and a final move into an industrial storage unit. 

So far he's sold most of the He-Man figures plus Castle Greyskull, all the TMHT figures, all the Zoids and all my M*A*S*K stuff. Some of it fetches good money - £50 for Skeletor! Made a couple of grand so far. Still got Thundercats and Star Wars to go, although I think we'll hold onto the Star Wars figures for a while longer as they might be the most valuable. 

When he does his ebay ads, he researches the character and writes a little bio on them. So, at approaching 70 years old, he now can name any Masters of the Universe figure from sight and can tell me the relative strengths of each of the Ninja Turtles! 

You were obviously a spoilt little bastard 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

You were obviously a spoilt little bastard 😂

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I was thinking...."a couple of grand ?? Just how many toys did this lad get ?!"

I wouldn't say spoilt! I was an only child so perhaps my parents overcompensated with a few extra toys but I didn't get everything I asked for! A few extra Thundercats figures must have worked out cheaper than having another kid though! 

In terms of the toys @mottaloo, you'd be surprised how much they sell for now! 4x TMHT - £100 on ebay! He-Man, with a chewed hand, fetched £45. Skeletor was £50 and was missing his weapon. There are people out there who will pay a lot of retro toys. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say spoilt! I was an only child so perhaps my parents overcompensated with a few extra toys but I didn't get everything I asked for! A few extra Thundercats figures must have worked out cheaper than having another kid though! 

In terms of the toys @mottaloo, you'd be surprised how much they sell for now! 4x TMHT - £100 on ebay! He-Man, with a chewed hand, fetched £45. Skeletor was £50 and was missing his weapon. There are people out there who will pay a lot of retro toys. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

I’ve got loads of that shit in my parents lift, all mega played with though.  I was assuming yours were pristine and boxed based on the amounts you were getting.

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve got loads of that shit in my parents lift, all mega played with though.  I was assuming yours were pristine and boxed based on the amounts you were getting.

All mine were mega played with as well. No boxes. Castle Greyskull was a wreck, a number of the figures had chewed limbs and missing weapons. Some of the figures (Man-E-Faces i'm looking at you) couldn't even stand as the elastic in the joints had gone. The later figures I had (Thundercats and TMHT) were in better condition as I must have grown out of eating my toys at that point! Some of the lesser known He-Man figures might only fetch £10-£20 each but still decent amounts. 

Boxed and pristine ones will fetch a lot. I saw a boxed He-Man, Teela and Ram Man go for 1200 USD

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

My Mrs sold a bundle of her old Polly pockets for about £150 in the summer.

14 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm so glad my Mum threw out all my old toys. Can we please change the subject? 

I’ve just posted a similar story in the ‘things that piss you off’ thread. 

The only saving grace here is that I managed to sell my son’s Lego for a good few hundred quid when he’d grown out of it. Lesson’s learnt the hard way, are seldom forgot. 

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tbh I’m probably the kind of sad bastard that would be buying these vintage toys rather than selling them.

I must admit I did have a few pangs of sellers regret.... seeing all the old figures at my folks house reminded me how much I used to love them. However, what am I going to do with them if they're not sold? Put them back in a box for another 20 years? I think we've made the right decision! 

Â