Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can't get my head around that at all. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'd rather stay home than go on a countryside holiday tbh. 

Yep, does nothing for me, not a recent affectation it’s just never been my thing. It’s the space between places of interest.

I can drive along and appreciate a view of fields or the Malvern Hills or whatever, but Lordy no, not a week of looking at grass and hedges.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Lordy no, not a week of looking at grass and hedges.

That's like saying the coast is just a strip of sand and a load of water. 

Mountains? Valleys? Lakes? Rivers? Forests? 

I'm a city boy born and bred, but without regular time out walking in the country - whether it's inland or coastal - I get very antsy. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Mountains? Valleys? Lakes? Rivers? Forests? 

I'm a city boy born and bred, but without regular time out walking in the country - whether it's inland or coastal - I get very antsy. 

I’ll admit I was playing to the gallery.

But the underlying message was true. We’ve tried it a few times, a cottage in Mid Wales, a small hotel in Warwickshire, a BnB in Kent. Just doesn’t really do it for me. A day trip yes, absolutely fine I’ll happily drive up to the Mountain Centre in Brecon or Storey Arms Or the Forest of Dean and spend a bit of a day there and enjoy it.

But do it again another six consecutive days? Nah, dim diolch.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That is exactly what the sea is here. Goes pretty much from our house (the mouth of the Alt) to the Ribble estuary, sand and the most placid no wave sea ever. Southport has the UK's second longest pier and the sea doesn't even reach it for half the day

The dunes behind it are quite spectacular but the sea itself is the most boring area of sea in the in the UK, silent, almost motionless, creeping up and creeping back

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Living by the coast is awesome.

The Fylde coast where I live now is pretty damned good - sunsets, views etc

But directly before living here, I lived in Newquay, basically on the cliff top. That was immense. The huge autumn and winter storms and swells and gales, glorious summer evenings, beach parties, walking right across the cliff tops to the pub. Simple but wonderful.

Must admit I would love to move there. Specifically St Annes. Lost count the amount of times I have visited and wanted to view houses there. Same for Formby. So effectively want to live near @bicksterand @blandy

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d genuinely happily take that over some **** sparrows in a tree and a view of sweet corn.

I genuinely did have both until they harvested the sweetcorn last week. With added Seagulls, Pink Footed Geese, Swallows, Sparrowhawks, Owls, Pheasants and gunfire (army range)

• Like 1

I’ve had a few great trips away to the countryside over the years. Lochs Lomond and Ness, Thirsk in Yorkshire, Tiverton down by Devon, among others. 

For me, the ideal location is close to a national park and/or hills, nearby market town (if I’ve never heard of it before, great), some historical sites of interest, a nice local pub. If there’s a city I’ve not been to before that’s a short train ride away, that would be a consideration. Could do a week, easy.

A lot of that could be transferred to being by the sea though, would be quite happy there too. I think there’s something inherent in the midlanders mindset that we get a bit more taken aback by the sea when we do get near the coast.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d genuinely happily take that over some **** sparrows in a tree and a view of sweet corn.

It’s possible to have both. Like Fish n’Chips & Gravy. You know it makes sense.

(though to be honest, the muck spreaders following the sweet corn harvesting nearly make me wretch, and I don’t see as many sparrows as I used to).

8 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

You could've. If the police hadn't moved you on for wanking so furiously.

I'd have got away with it if wasn't for those pesky kids! 

I’ve had a bit of a result this morning.

We were due to go to the shops to grab a couple of things today (mainly new football boots for the boy). Because of the fun and games today we decided not to bother. Firstly it means I can watch the Villa game I hadn’t realised was 12:00 kick off, I though it was late afternoon.

Secondly I managed to get him some boots he really likes from the sports direct website for half price, then also grabbed a few bits for the nephews for Christmas in their sale as we were paying the £4.99 shipping anyway.

Just need Villa to win now for a clean sweep.

My kid has just started watching the CBeebies Dennis the menace show.

I was aware of the existing comparison between Walter the Softy and Jacob Rees-Mogg, but now having seen a few episodes, I find that Walter’s stupid best friend looks vaguely familiar -

347E62C1-D8E1-475B-A291-34BA09F7F25D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact there's at least one woman with lovely big knockers in every "Come Dine With Me".

Today there's two.

I wholeheartedly approve.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The fact there's at least one woman with lovely big knockers in every "Come Dine With Me".

Today there's two.

I wholeheartedly approve.

Imagine the debauchery if you hosted people for Come Dine With Me . . . . 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve had a bit of a result this morning.

We were due to go to the shops to grab a couple of things today (mainly new football boots for the boy). Because of the fun and games today we decided not to bother. Firstly it means I can watch the Villa game I hadn’t realised was 12:00 kick off, I though it was late afternoon.

Secondly I managed to get him some boots he really likes from the sports direct website for half price, then also grabbed a few bits for the nephews for Christmas in their sale as we were paying the £4.99 shipping anyway.

Just need Villa to win now for a clean sweep.

You can't have your cake and eat it mate. Villa will always be there to piss on your cornflakes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My kid has just started watching the CBeebies Dennis the menace show.

How do they tackle the merciless bullying that Dennis dished out to Walter and his cronies. Surely that can't play well nowadays? 

4 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Imagine the debauchery if you hosted people for Come Dine With Me . . . . 

Yeah, there'd be no food for the girls unless you count jizz  ;)

• Haha 2

Â