Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

If you polled a bunch of young people who are into music then I bet most of them wlll have heard of Pet Sounds and probably think it strange that anyone might think that they haven't, a lot of them will have heard it too, or at least listened to most of the songs from it.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I have a Beagle, he's 3 now and is absolutely awesome. He's incredibly loyal and fun.

I have landed on a boxer now, but my initial thought was getting a beagle, but I've heard so much about them barking their heads off, so didn't feel it was a good idea with all the neighbours in this apartment complex. 

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have landed on a boxer now, but my initial thought was getting a beagle, but I've heard so much about them barking their heads off, so didn't feel it was a good idea with all the neighbours in this apartment complex. 

I’ve read a few things like that but I’ve found him incredibly quiet. I don’t really think I’ve heard him bark more than a dozen times ever. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve read a few things like that but I’ve found him incredibly quiet. I don’t really think I’ve heard him bark more than a dozen times ever. 

Is he called Eddie? 

• Like 1

The charity I work for won a national award this week. They've been going nearly 50 years, but were a bit shy, looking within and not outside. Been working there for nearly 12 months and they have started being s bit more focused on telling their stories, and it's working. I'm so proud. 

With everything going on this was a massive boost and I shed a few tears.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I love your dad.

You’ll find no cold data to support this, but The Small Faces were the best band ever.

Prefer Humble Pie if we're talking Marriott

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

If you polled a bunch of young people who are into music then I bet most of them wlll have heard of Pet Sounds and probably think it strange that anyone might think that they haven't, a lot of them will have heard it too, or at least listened to most of the songs from it.

Yeah the Pet Shop Boys are pretty widely known. 

:D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

Define "young"

I'd wager the vast majority of people under, say, 21 will have never listened to Pet Sounds. They'd probably recognise a couple of songs from it.

And define "into music". if you're talking about young people who are really passionate and obsessed with music then you're probably right. But we're narrowing down the sample size quite a lot here.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Prefer Humble Pie if we're talking Marriott

Humble Pie are fine, but he’s beginning to do an impression of a soulful blues singer by the time he’s in Pie, and I’m not the biggest fan of Frampton.

Did you know Brian Jones was due to join them in Humble Pie the day he died.

The art of the perfect pop song is fascinating and The Small Faces got really really close to 2 minute perfection about a dozen times. I’d say Beach Boys managed 2 or 3 times, Super Furries managed it once or twice (opinion!). Some Small Faces stuff that was alternate take or unreleased mixes is just stunning. But they were cursed by management putting out shit they thought would chart easily which then cursed them to the screaming girls tour circuit. Often the first thing the band would know of a record release was when listening to the radio. It’s Ironic that whenever you spot a ‘best of’ or ‘greatest hits’ it’s actually a compilation of the ok stuff, with the good stuff left off.

You listen to some Faces stuff and hear what they could have been, the Faces, but with Marriott, Frampton and Jones involved. Such a painful near miss.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Humble Pie are fine, but he’s beginning to do an impression of a soulful blues singer by the time he’s in Pie, and I’m not the biggest fan of Frampton.

Did you know Brian Jones was due to join them in Humble Pie the day he died.

The art of the perfect pop song is fascinating and The Small Faces got really really close to 2 minute perfection about a dozen times. I’d say Beach Boys managed 2 or 3 times, Super Furries managed it once or twice (opinion!). Some Small Faces stuff that was alternate take or unreleased mixes is just stunning. But they were cursed by management putting out shit they thought would chart easily which then cursed them to the screaming girls tour circuit. Often the first thing the band would know of a record release was when listening to the radio. It’s Ironic that whenever you spot a ‘best of’ or ‘greatest hits’ it’s actually a compilation of the ok stuff, with the good stuff left off.

You listen to some Faces stuff and hear what they could have been, the Faces, but with Marriott, Frampton and Jones involved. Such a painful near miss.

I can't see Brian Jones ever fitting in to Humble Pie. Frampton was a fine lead guitarist, and a good foil for Marriott (who I agree started to get a bit carried away with the "my skin is white but my soul is black" schtick). Pie were great up till their first post-Frampton album ("Smokin'"), but lost it big time after that. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Define "young"

I'd wager the vast majority of people under, say, 21 will have never listened to Pet Sounds. They'd probably recognise a couple of songs from it.

And define "into music". if you're talking about young people who are really passionate and obsessed with music then you're probably right. But we're narrowing down the sample size quite a lot here.

Yeah I reckon these days lots of people used to streaming rather than buying music just listen to a playlist of a band's most popular songs.  Back when i was at college I'd usually have to buy some of the classic bands' albums based on a recommendation (including Pet Sounds) and then make my own compilation of my favourite tunes either on CD or then the ipod.  Obviously you got greatest hits albums but they weren't anywhere near as long as a spotify playlist and sometimes missed chunks of a band's career for one reason or another.

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I can't see Brian Jones ever fitting in to Humble Pie. Frampton was a fine lead guitarist, and a good foil for Marriott (who I agree started to get a bit carried away with the "my skin is white but my soul is black" schtick). Pie were great up till their first post-Frampton album ("Smokin'"), but lost it big time after that. 

It was Marriott that was never supposed to be in the band, he was just going to be the fixer / manager. They got let down by someone I can’t remember without looking it up, and Marriott filled in. Which Frampton didn’t particularly want, which meant it all got off to quite an awkward start.

Right at the end, post Frampton, there was an attempt to shoehorn Alexis Korner in to the band, instigated by Marriott, which actually sounded so shit Marriott basically walked off stage and never came back!

What cheers me up is people talking positively about something they love. I dislike Humble Pie (you young cats, it was a band the singer out of The Small Faces was in) but I love reading people talking about something they love, be that modelling, music or world war 2 re-enacment. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What cheers me up is people talking positively about something they love. I dislike Humble Pie (you young cats, it was a band the singer out of The Small Faces was in) but I love reading people talking about something they love, be that modelling, music or world war 2 re-enacment. 

I’m the same. I watch loads of YouTube videos about shit that I honestly couldn’t give a **** about. I watched one the other day about ancient Japanese printing. 

But the guy doing it was so into it and was such a master craftsman that it was fascinating. 

Im actually envious of that. I don’t think I care about anything as passionately as that.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

The charity I work for won a national award this week. They've been going nearly 50 years, but were a bit shy, looking within and not outside. Been working there for nearly 12 months and they have started being s bit more focused on telling their stories, and it's working. I'm so proud. 

With everything going on this was a massive boost and I shed a few tears.

Pussy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Definitely this. Somewhere way, way back in the early days of VT I made a similar observation - that I have far more time for people who are massively enthusiastic about music that I can't stand than those who are indifferent to music generally.  

• Like 3

Â