Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I bought Pet Sounds because everyone said how great it is, listened to it once then never again.  It's been about 18 years though so might give it another go, I went to a Beach Boys tribute show with my Dad and it was alright I suppose.

Now this is a good point. It's not my favourite LP by the band by a long way. Maybe for another thread though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I've got it on right now to try to educate myself.

I recognised the first song anyway (Argos advert I'm sure)

Not much to write home about since then

The thing to remember is Brian Wilson did it mostly as a solo LP. He bought in an outside lyricist, wrote all the music, did the arrangements, used to Wrecking Crew for weeks on end, and produced it.

The rest of the band added vocals after returning from a tour of Japan.

<anorak>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, the conversation was never about how good it was, that’s personal taste.

I don’t like The Rolling Stones, but I’ve **** heard of them!

Same. In fact I do like a lot of their songs.

Not sure I could name an actual album by them though.

I have heard of Sgt Pepper but couldn't name a song on it (I probably know some of the songs, but not the album).

Live @Stevo985 I couldn't name a Stones album either.

I think it's two things, both the music just being really, really bloody old, but the way of listening to music has changed a lot over the years.

One, I think people just pay less attention, I don't think it's anywhere near as common to just sit and listen to music and pay attention to that and just that. also I think it's increasingly rare to listen to albums in general. Pretty much anytime I listen to music, it's a playlist that shuffles between loads of artists. 

There are bands I really like, who I've been to see, and I'd struggle to name any of their albums. It's not the case for all of the bands I listen to, but it is for a good chunk of them. 

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I have heard of Sgt Pepper but couldn't name a song on it (I probably know some of the songs, but not the album).

Live @Stevo985 I couldn't name a Stones album either.

I think it's two things, both the music just being really, really bloody old, but the way of listening to music has changed a lot over the years.

One, I think people just pay less attention, I don't think it's anywhere near as common to just sit and listen to music and pay attention to that and just that. also I think it's increasingly rare to listen to albums in general. Pretty much anytime I listen to music, it's a playlist that shuffles between loads of artists. 

There are bands I really like, who I've been to see, and I'd struggle to name albums for. 

This is it. Old pharts like me actually put a vinyl album on a turntable and listen to all of it.

• Like 1

I think I'd have to say my favourite Beach Boys album is . . . The Best Of The Beach Boys (and even then, probably only the first few songs).

I know what Pet Sounds is, and I've eve listened to it once, but I couldn't tell you any of the songs on it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I'd have to say my favourite Beach Boys album is . . . The Best Of The Beach Boys (and even then, probably only the first few songs).

I know what Pet Sounds is, and I've eve listened to it once, but I couldn't tell you any of the songs on it.

sad really, people like you and others here miss out on their brilliant 1970-74 output. Their best albums, when they incorporated two black South Africans into the band.

Bet ya didn't know that ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

sad really, people like you and others here miss out on their brilliant 1970-74 output. Their best albums, when they incorporated two black South Africans into the band.

Bet ya didn't know that ;)

I honestly have no idea whether that's a recommendation or a witty joke.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah this. I think with older stuff you tend to know the songs because people play them to you or you hear them in various contexts. 

But these days you don't need to buy whole albums to listen to individual songs. Even if you like the songs you tend to go back and listen to those individual tracks.

I'd rarely go back and listen to whole albums. I do do it, but not very often

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I honestly have no idea whether that's a recommendation or a witty joke.

Not a joke!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is astonishing. It really is. 

God Only Knows what people are thinking mate. Wouldn't It Be Nice if people could give this great album the respect it deserves :) 

• Haha 3

My Mom's favourite band when she was younger was the Beach Boys. As she got older she developed strange tastes... Cliff Richard, Luther Vandross and Phil Collins to name three. 

My Dad was more into the Small Faces and Kinks. 

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I'd have to say my favourite Beach Boys album is . . . The Best Of The Beach Boys 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

To bring it back around to things that cheer me up, it is that thing of taking 38 / 45 minutes to listen to a whole album in the order it was originally curated. Actually listening to it, not having it as a background sound track to something else.

I guess that’s why I’m wasting £14.99 where others are downloading the catchy track off the album for 79p

That’s what cheers me up.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Mom's favourite band when she was younger was the Beach Boys. As she got older she developed strange tastes... Cliff Richard, Luther Vandross and Phil Collins to name three. 

My Dad was more into the Small Faces and Kinks. 

I love your dad.

You’ll find no cold data to support this, but The Small Faces were the best band ever.

In fact, you’ve just sorted tonight’s listen along with Chris...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

To bring it back around to things that cheer me up, it is that thing of taking 38 / 45 minutes to listen to a whole album in the order it was originally curated. Actually listening to it, not having it as a background sound track to something else.

I guess that’s why I’m wasting £14.99 where others are downloading the catchy track off the album for 79p

That’s what cheers me up.

Downloading?

On 22/05/2020 at 17:09, mjmooney said:

Four year old granddaughter is not taking her homeschooling seriously. They're doing the solar system and she's started doing Uranus jokes. 

That's my girl.  :)

She's on a roll, now: 

IMG-20200528-WA0001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â