Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mooney'd it.

Beach Boys. Meh. It rings a bell now I've googled it. 

They're about the blandest band of all time so not surprised I'd forgotten about it.

@rjw63 right now 

Ku0QrrdDUYDIycM-bcPFde_3mIOod8j7wQfuXcBz

• Haha 1

Personal taste is pointless arguing over, one man’s bland is another man’s best pop song ever written.

But not having even heard of an album regularly quoted as the No 1 best album of all time, that’s quite interesting.

As I say, probably just marks that time has moved on and that music is now just one distraction among a thousand others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Personal taste is pointless arguing over, one man’s bland is another man’s best pop song ever written.

But not having even heard of an album regularly quoted as the No 1 best album of all time, that’s quite interesting.

As I say, probably just marks that time has moved on and that music is now just one distraction among a thousand others.

I can't say I recall a debate or poll or article where it's even been in the conversation. Maybe it's just a blindspot from me.

But like I said I have zero affection for the band so I probably just don't pay attention. Their songs are ok for adverts I guess.

31 year old has never heard of it. I don’t want to remind her that we had a huge **** off poster in our living room for the Pet Sounds Sessions in 90s. 

• Like 1

I've literally never heard of it either, but I thought I could only name one Beach Boys song, and it turns out even that was wrong because I was thinking of the Pet Shop Boys. 

• Haha 3

I knew it was an album, some of the songs on it are really good, but there's a time and a place for Beach Boys and that's driving down to Fistral Beach, not around Brum.

But I wouldn't take what @Stevo985 says personally, his taste in music is shit and he's only 10 years older than me I think. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've literally never heard of it either, but I thought I could only name one Beach Boys song, and it turns out even that was wrong because I was thinking of the Pet Shop Boys. 

Just think of the last Argos advert you can remember and it was probably a Beach Boys song over the top of it

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I knew it was an album, some of the songs on it a really good, but there's a time and a place for Beach Boys and that's driving down to Fistral Beach, not around Brum.

But I wouldn't take what @Stevo985 says personally, his taste in music is shit and he's only 10 years older than me I think. 

Fair one

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is astonishing. It really is. 

Don't feed the trolls!

Actually it is odd, that anyone wouldn't know it as it was the inspiration for Sgt Pepper which I'm sure these same people MUST know.

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Don't feed the trolls!

Actually it is odd, that anyone wouldn't know it as it was the inspiration for Sgt Pepper which I'm sure these same people MUST know.

I know the album for sure, but I didn't and wouldn't have guessed it predated Sgt Peppers! 

It was just a cassette in my mom & dad's nissan bluebird which we listened to on summer holidays for a couple of years. 

I don't recall them playing Beach Boys too much in my childhood, but driving to Fistral with "the Beach Boys on" seemed funny, so it's stuck with me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Don't feed the trolls!

I'm not trolling!

But yeah I've heard of Sgt Pepper. Probably because that one's by a good band

(ok that last bit was trolling ;) )

• Haha 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

I know the album for sure, but I didn't and wouldn't have guessed it predated Sgt Peppers! 

It was just a cassette in my mom & dad's nissan bluebird which we listened to on summer holidays for a couple of years. 

I don't recall them playing Beach Boys too much in my childhood, but driving to Fistral with "the Beach Boys on" seemed funny, so it's stuck with me. 

My parents didn't play anything much at all, I had to make my own musical way. Strange like that, they were.

We did listen to Pet Sounds though and talked of the tapes I used to do my wife as kids and how God Only knows or Disney Girls would appear on just about every one. How much we loved I know theres an answer/Hang on to your ego. So playing Pet Ounds at least had us reminiscing about the days when we were boyfriend and girlfriend. 

I bought Pet Sounds because everyone said how great it is, listened to it once then never again.  It's been about 18 years though so might give it another go, I went to a Beach Boys tribute show with my Dad and it was alright I suppose.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

My parents didn't play anything much at all, I had to make my own musical way. Strange like that, they were.

Mine were the same. Hardly ever had music playing. 

My dad liked Buddy Holly  but that's about the only thing I ever heard him listen to. And it was rare. Usually for a week after we'd bought him a CD for his birthday (probably the 25th variation of a Buddy Holly greatest hits he'd received from us)

And apart from the odd CD of Irish songs I've never known my mom listen to music at all. I couldn't name a single pop/rock artist or group she likes.

My dad hated anything playing in the car. No radio, no music. We drove in silence. It's actually mental thinking back!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I bought Pet Sounds because everyone said how great it is, listened to it once then never again.  It's been about 18 years though so might give it another go, I went to a Beach Boys tribute show with my Dad and it was alright I suppose.

I've got it on right now to try to educate myself.

I recognised the first song anyway (Argos advert I'm sure)

Not much to write home about since then

I think on the Venn diagram of musical taste, it was the only record me and this one girlfriend had in common. Other than that, her taste was **** awful, I mean, properly shocking. All middling Americana rock shite wallpaper paste gloopy shitbiscuits by middle aged blokes with big hair.

Reader, I married her.

• Haha 2

Â