rjw63

Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Shifting stuff around with phase is

Love listening to OOPS on the mono to stereo recording of Beatles stuff , can hear all the centre channel stuff , left over from the over dubs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Love listening to OOPS on the mono to stereo recording of Beatles stuff , can hear all the centre channel stuff , left over from the over dubs 

I used to love the karaoke function on a HiFi we had at work years back. We mostly were looking to strip vocals to get instros.

You're right, they do very strange things to the early heavily panned stereo recordings. 

9 hours ago, Xann said:

@bickster Interesting!  Up and down too? If so, do you have a pic of the capsule, or know anyone that has one?

Shifting stuff around with phase is older than your friend's device, but accurate spacial recording in situ is impressive.

A figure of 8 setting on a stereo microphone sort of does surround without elevation. Microphones facing outwards on either side of a case or a mannequin's head are the next step.

No, I really was the only person that I knew that had one, the rest were all his birdsong mates and the like, they were all in their 70's even back then

Yes, up and down because you really could here the birds going overhead

It was literally a plastic box (a bit bigger than a mug) of the sort you bought from Tandy, a jack in and a jack out that was a passsive circuit until you flicked the switch. It was quite heavy because he'd encased the inside in polypropeline or something like that, the stuff you used to be able to make home made paper-weights with, to keep his secrets safe

The best bit was he was bloody deaf with a hearing aid in both ears!

Just remembered his name Phil Such but that will mean absolutely nothing to anyone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

No, I really was the only person that I knew that had one, the rest were all his birdsong mates and the like, they were all in their 70's even back then

Pity.

I help a friend that has an interest in forgotten audio technology.

The story in the History thread about the Nazi bomb muffling microphone was something I found for him.

He's found some crazy stuff.

Microphones from the 20s that are like Tesla levels of genius, but the fork just stopped there as ribbon microphones took off.

78782678_3443308742376332_2298089296164290560_o.thumb.jpg.bd0e7c726ed26d6b9d9da27ec96c5e57.jpg This is the precursor to the microphone, the Ear Phonautograph.

Alexander Graham Bell made it out of a real human middle ear. The second pic is a modern repro.

If you ever come across another lead to that device? Please get in touch, @bickster ;) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Possibly the first decent thing ever on twitter :) 

I was waiting for Nayim from the halfway line (or, better still, Peter Withe's shinpad). 

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

They count as fruit to me and thus are a big No No from me 

But on the discovery side , I give you possibly the finest ice cream to ever be put on a stick 

60002A80-2036-43AE-900D-9D90D73441FA.jpeg

Waste of a fine biscuit

The four year old granddaughter has discovered that this learning to write business is quite good fun: 

Screenshot_20200405_202141_com.whatsapp.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I posted a while ago that I suspected Tony Daley lived in my apartment block.

Saw him again the other day but bottled saying anything. But one of his recent instagram posts confirmed it. In fact my car could be seen in it as he was doing an indoor workout from the garage in our apartments :D 

I'll definitely say something next time :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The four year old granddaughter has discovered that this learning to write business is quite good fun: 

Screenshot_20200405_202141_com.whatsapp.jpg

Impressive for a 4 year old to know Donald J.’s full name!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 02/04/2020 at 17:17, veloman said:

There is a fortune awaiting the first person who learns how to transplant the hairs , that grow in profusion, from you ears as you grow older onto the top of your head where the reverse in happening. Thought For The Day !

Only if you're looking for the Art Garfunkel look.  Which; granted; is a killer look.

Got some holiday booked after Wednesday, so excited. Can't make my mind up where to go.

The kitchen and the bedroom look favourite.

49 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Got some holiday booked after Wednesday, so excited. Can't make my mind up where to go.

The kitchen and the bedroom look favourite.

Having Easter in the living room. Cant wait. 

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I posted a while ago that I suspected Tony Daley lived in my apartment block.

Saw him again the other day but bottled saying anything. But one of his recent instagram posts confirmed it. In fact my car could be seen in it as he was doing an indoor workout from the garage in our apartments :D 

I'll definitely say something next time :) 

I met Tony Daley last month when I did the Villa Park guided tour. He seems a very genuinely nice fella. Very softly spoken but was happy to give everyone a bit of his time.

Have you planned what your opening line will be? It's hard not to appear like an excited school child :wave:

• Haha 1

I remember seeing Tony Daley's debut at VP.

He's now a grandfather. 

I feel really old 😳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

It's hard not to appear like an excited school child

Always happens, my worst one was meeting Sid. Imagine your worst one and the add a slight Swedish language barrier. **** me :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Always happens, my worst one was meeting Sid. Imagine your worst one and the add a slight Swedish language barrier. **** me :(

He's a Geordie who's lived in Birmingham for years. You probably speak better English than him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think meeting "famous people" is something you just get used to, they tend to appreciate not being treated as famous in the main, they react better to normality rather than startstruck. Some obviously don't, some are just Grade A words removed, aren't they Peter Kay?

• Haha 2

Â