Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Monday. I renew my passport online. 

Tuesday I put my old passport in the post. 

Wednesday my application is approved. 

Thursday my new passport is in the post

Friday my new passport is here. 

That's flaming quick. Also it isn't blue. 

Does it say 'European Union' on it? 

On 28/02/2020 at 21:32, chrisp65 said:

I really like the new ones to be honest.

Nothing says ‘taking back control’ like a blue passport made in Poland by a French company.

Just for accuracy - The contract winning company was bought by another primarily French owned company which has several businesses and thousands of staff working in the UK, including the main manufacture and security of the new passports at more than one centre in the UK (not just England). I genuinely can’t add anymore due to confidentiality/security.

On 28/02/2020 at 17:39, Seat68 said:

Monday. I renew my passport online. 

Tuesday I put my old passport in the post. 

Wednesday my application is approved. 

Thursday my new passport is in the post

Friday my new passport is here. 

That's flaming quick. Also it isn't blue. 

PARKLIFE*

*sorry, couldn't resist 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brommy said:

Just for accuracy - The contract winning company was bought by another primarily French owned company which has several businesses and thousands of staff working in the UK, including the main manufacture and security of the new passports at more than one centre in the UK (not just England). I genuinely can’t add anymore due to confidentiality/security.

OK, for accuracy, yes, they will be made by a French / Dutch company in their Polish factory with the ‘personalised’ pages added in the French company’s UK base.

There’s nothing wrong with any of the above.

My point was to point out how ridiculous this whole ‘iconic blue’ crap is. Along with the taking back control crap. Along with the no borders for us crap and the build that wall crap for European visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

OK, for accuracy, yes, they will be made by a French / Dutch company in their Polish factory with the ‘personalised’ pages added in the French company’s UK base.

There’s nothing wrong with any of the above.

My point was to point out how ridiculous this whole ‘iconic blue’ crap is. Along with the taking back control crap. Along with the no borders for us crap and the build that wall crap for European visitors.

I thought I’d point out the that the majority of the cost (the high security/personalised pages) is being spent in the UK and employing UK workers in more than one UK base. Any profit will go to the shareholders of a predominately French owned company but there are thousands of UK workers who through incentive share ownership plans will receive dividends from any profit and I count myself as one.

Using the colour of passports as ‘taking back control’ rhetoric is daft but using the supposed irony of new passports being made outside the UK is somewhat disingenuous.

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I thought I’d point out the that the majority of the cost (the high security/personalised pages) is being spent in the UK and employing UK workers in more than one UK base. Any profit will go to the shareholders of a predominately French owned company but there are thousands of UK workers who through incentive share ownership plans will receive dividends from any profit and I count myself as one.

Using the colour of passports as ‘taking back control’ rhetoric is daft but using the supposed irony of new passports being made outside the UK is somewhat disingenuous.

Are you saying they aren’t coming from the French company’s base in Poland?

I acccept there are final pages and printing added here, I’m not sure if you’re saying there’s no Polish printing and shipping?

Fair play if there isn’t, then there isn’t and I was wrong. 

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Are you saying they aren’t coming from the French company’s base in Poland?

I acccept there are final pages and printing added here, I’m not sure if you’re saying there’s no Polish printing and shipping?

Fair play if there isn’t, then there isn’t and I was wrong. 

I need to be careful what details I give, having signed what I have, but rest assured the valuable parts of the production process are all here in the UK. At least that qualifies as on topic for the thread.👍

Small victories...

I've been trying to get hold of my medical records as my 10 yr Taxi medical is due at the end of the month. You used to have to get your medical done by your GP but they've changed the rules and can get it done anywhere. This is a good thing as GPs really do play think of a number for a DVLA medical.

So yesterday I rang my GP to arrange this... Sorry you'll have to ring tomorrow after 11am and ask to speak to a secretary. I did this as yesterdays numpty on the phone was clueless. Today I did just that, to get I'm sorry, who told you to ask for a secretary? I evetually (having been cut off once) got through to the Practice manager and she was your typical stoney voiced, No you cant have what ever you want, GPS admin staff.

You'll need to put the request in writing!

At that point I interupted her, told her politely she'd just broken the law as had all the other members of staff I'd spoken to up untl that point. She was a bit taken aback and asked how I'd come to that conclusion. I informed her quite politely that since 25th May 2018 any Subject Access Request must be recognised by all customer facing staff and it was no longer acceptable to put barriers in the way of making such a request (like putting it in writing) as all SARs need to be recognised verbally. A little flustered she promised to get back to me today.

Twice after 4pm I rang back to speak to her as no call had been forthcoming, twice I was informed that she was "in a meeting" (She wasn't that much was obvious) I even wrote a letter, outlining what I wanted and how they were acting illegally which was going to be hand delivered by me in the morning.

Then at 6pm she rang me nice as pie (a complete personality change you could say) to tell me that I could pick it up sometime tomorrow but it would have to be tomorrow as the records are stored off site. I think she took some advice from someone at NHS compliance, who put her right

Small victories, make me smile, though I must confess I was looking forward to a slightly longer battle

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Putting on brand new socks.  I meant to post this earlier but it's well nice.

True, I like to save a brand new pair of socks for travelling on holiday day. Don’t know why, it just adds to the excitement :lol: 

A couple of times I’ve read that certain rich people never wear same pair of underwear twice.

That would be me as a billionaire.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

blink 182 wtf GIFdisappointed the wire GIF

Sometimes I wonder who TF I share a forum with :lol:

I know. @Genie, that's really weird.

Everyone knows that when travelling for holiday, you need to be wearing an old, trusty pair of socks . You haven't had time to build a relationship with newbies yet.

Also, why should the new pairs get to go on holiday? It's the old, worn pants and socks that deserve a break.

• Like 2

Â