Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 12/02/2019 at 21:43, PriceyDownunder said:

As many ex-pats / migrants will agree, hearing the name of our club in some far flung parts is quite the rarity, especially with our current league status.

So I got quite the thrill when this question popped up in our weekly pub trivia comp. last night.

Needless to say, our team were the only ones with the correct answer.

thumbnail.jpg

Ermmm. 

Shouldn't this be in the things that piss you off thread? 

I would think there were at least 15 - 20 teams there and yours was the only correct answer? 

We have become anonymous. 

I bet you would have got a 100% response to which city Arsenal or Chelsea were from 😞

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Ermmm. 

I would think there were at least 15 - 20 teams there and yours was the only correct answer? 

I bet you would have got a 100% response to which city Arsenal or Chelsea were from 😞

Lots of people aren't particularly into football. They may have heard the name of a club, but if the city name isn't in there, they wouldn't know. Or they'd guess at the capital city. I'll bet there are plenty of casual English football fans who couldn't name the correct cities for some famous clubs - Juventus, for example. When my daughter was at school here in Leeds, she had to defend her Villa loyalty to boys in her class, one of whom accused her of 'supporting a London team'. 

Edited by mjmooney

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When my daughter was at school here in Leeds, she had to defend her Villa loyalty to boys in her class, one of whom accused her of 'supporting a London team'. 

The first time I went to Sheffield Wednesday's ground many moons ago, the person behind the pie counter had no idea where "Aston Villa" was from. That was someone working at a football ground every week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tweeting my favourite DJ...her liking it.....then replying to it......THEN....reading it out on air ! 

Won't be going all "play misty for me" on her but it's made my day :)

Sarah Champion 😍  (you might need to "mooney" her !) 

On 22/02/2019 at 10:38, sidcow said:

Ermmm. 

I think you overestimate how much Australians really know about English football.

Outside the most well known say 10 clubs, if there isn't a major city name in the club's name, they probably wouldn't have a clue.

2 hours ago, PriceyDownunder said:

I think you overestimate how much Australians really know about English football.

Outside the most well known say 10 clubs, if there isn't a major city name in the club's name, they probably wouldn't have a clue.

That's what I mean. 

Until 15 years ago we would have been one of the top 5 or 6 clubs.  Illustration of how far we have fallen. 

On 23/02/2019 at 13:00, mottaloo said:

Tweeting my favourite DJ...her liking it.....then replying to it......THEN....reading it out on air ! 

Won't be going all "play misty for me" on her but it's made my day :)

Sarah Champion 😍  (you might need to "mooney" her !) 

Sarah Deborah Champion MP (born 10 July 1969)[2] is a British Labour politician and Member of Parliament for Rotherham in the House of Commons.

?

Â