Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Did Beatles / Oasis do singles that weren't on albums?

Greatest single by anyone anywhere ever isn't on any album. Which incidentally, then has a really good B side.

SFA - Ice Hockey Hair

Oasis did a couple, the most famous was Whatever which had Half The World Away (them tune to the Royle Family) and It's Good To Be Free on, both great tunes in their own righr.  Not sure about The Beatles.  I always thought Oasis ripped off a lot of bands but not so much The Beatles.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Did Beatles / Oasis do singles that weren't on albums?

Greatest single by anyone anywhere ever isn't on any album. Which incidentally, then has a really good B side.

Oasis - Whatever (1994)

Not on album due to a copyright dispute at the time. 

I think Beatles had quite a lot?

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Oasis did a couple, the most famous was Whatever which had Half The World Away (them tune to the Royle Family) and It's Good To Be Free on, both great tunes in their own righr.  Not sure about The Beatles.  I always thought Oasis ripped off a lot of bands but not so much The Beatles.

Noel Gallagher would say otherwise! 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why didn't the Real People just keep all these tunes to themselves and become huge?  That's what I can never understand.

They only helped out on a couple of songs IIRC. They were more helpful in showing them how to play and structure things in the studio (according to what i've read)

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why didn't the Real People just keep all these tunes to themselves and become huge?  That's what I can never understand.

I think they undoubtedly had an influence, I’ve heard “feel the pain” and there are some real stark similarities with “don’t go away”. 

But, and I may be biased here, “Don’t go away” is a miles better song. Bicks I’m sure will say otherwise, but I reckon they helped out in the early days, encouraged them, probably suggested some things and Noel probably took a liberty or two. 

Probably one of Noel’s biggest strengths is (was?) being able to spot some melody and turning it into something that’s more recognisable as “his own”.

On the Beatles front, “paperback writer” was a non album single wasn’t it? “Rain” was the b-side.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's The Beatles formula (sorry, Bicks). They put some great tracks on their B-sides. 

In Oasis' case, Noel said it was just his arrogance and thinking that at the time every song he did was going to be ace. Not thinking that the well would run dry in the future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think Beatles had quite a lot?

Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You - both songs on the debut album (although Love Me Do was a different take)

Please Please Me/Ask Me Why - both songs also on the debut album

From Me To You/Thank You Girl - neither song on an album

She Loves You/I'll Get You - neither song on an album

I Want To Hold Your Hand/This Boy - neither song on an album

Can't Buy Me Love/You Can't Do That - both songs also on album

A Hard Day's Night/Things We Said Today - both songs also on album

I Feel Fine/She's A Woman - neither song on an album

Ticket To Ride/Yes It Is - B-side not on an album

Help!/I'm Down - B-side not on an album

We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper - neither song on an album

Paperback Writer/Rain - neither song on an album

Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby - both songs also on an album

Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever - neither song on an album

All You Need Is Love/Baby You're A Rich Man - neither song on an album

Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus - neither song on an album

Lady Madonna/The Inner Light - neither song on an album

Hey Jude/Revolution - neither song on an album

Get Back/Don't Let Me Down - both songs also on an album

The Ballad Of John And Yoko/Old Brown Shoe - neither song on an album

Something/Come Together - both songs also on an album

Let It Be/You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) - A-side different mix to album, B-side not on an album

Note: refers only to UK original albums (excludes EPs, later compilations, and US-only releases). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Jeeeeez. Need to move the things that cheer you up thread into the boring thread. 

Shall we go back to take away pizza chat? ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Well they did actually steal one Real People song but the Real People showed them how to take other peoples songs (usually the Beatles) and write your own songs based on them. It was the fundamental moment that lead them down the path they took. Before that Oasis we’re absolutely shambolic. They didn’t give them songs they taught them their method of songwriting if you like

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, definitely. I'm not disputing that Oasis ripped off The Beatles (via The Real People or otherwise). Just pointing out that the Fabs (whether you like them or not) were relatively unusual in having B-sides of equal quality to their main output, rather than throwaway, inferior tracks, which was the norm for most bands. Xela tells us that Oasis did the same, so I'll take his word for it. 

It was very common in the post punk era that you dislike so much

Noel Gallagher said that he never got the Beatles comparison, other than their appearance and low key stage presence (stand and play a guitar).

He said they wanted to sound more like Slade (come on feel the noise was an early b side).

That said, what Noel says is different in almost every interview, so it must depend on what he's feeling most of the time.

I find both of them give any help they get on a record plenty of credit though.

for the first time in forever I haven't gone down the road to watch my local club

we've had a bit of a change of personnel doing different jobs, handed over tosome other to give then a go

so tonight I thought **** it, don't go to the game, blag a late table at an always fully booked place

had a right good night, squeezed in at the bar as a favout, spent a **** ton of money, caught up with old friend, taped the game

get home, decide I can still focus enough to wathc the game - and it's cancelled cos of a floodlight failure

absolute result

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Noel Gallagher said that he never got the Beatles comparison, other than their appearance and low key stage presence (stand and play a guitar).

He said they wanted to sound more like Slade (come on feel the noise was an early b side).

That said, what Noel says is different in almost every interview, so it must depend on what he's feeling most of the time.

I'm sorry but if he said that, he's just not being honest.

One of those early songs, was a direct rip of a Real People song (I forget which), it was settled out of court and part of the deal was the Real People were given the support slot on a tour. Liam did acknowledge the RP connection, sort of last year or the year before

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I saw him interviewed on a John Lennon tribute programme, where he said s something like "I worship the guy - I've built an entire career on trying to sound like him". In the same interview he said that as a teenager he locked himself in his bedroom with the entire Beatles catalogue, playing nothing else for weeks on end, until he'd absorbed enough to start a band. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

As you say, his stance has been known to change from interview to interview. 

I remember one interview in which he said that, to him, most of their stuff sounds like the Stone Roses playing the Sex Pistols (or was it the Sex Pistols playing the Stone Roses?).

The Beatles is the obvious influence, they harped on about it enough during the mid 90’s, kinda made a rod for their own back I guess. But there’s plenty of other bands that I hear amongst it all (it was years before I clocked the blantant mott the hoople bit in “stand by me”). Admittedly not a particularly wide range of different bands, but it’s there.

Â